Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I are planning on a trip to Korea in the near future and I was thinking about bringing a game as a gift for the family's two children (one boy, one girl) - both of whom I think are in their late teens or early 20's. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a game be seen as an acceptable gift - I know that gift giving is an important cultural custom. I would like for the game to be small (since I need to carry it in my luggage) and possibly have instructions I can print out in Korean (or no need for instructions). Thank you, in advance, for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in Korea for a year in 2000, gift giving is very important to Koreans. A game for the children would be seen as very pleasing to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game called Tsuro that is welcomed by everyone for its beauty and simplicity. Sorry, I don't know how to link it to the page but you can find it here.
Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever its worth I just noticed on the Heroes of Graxia page on BGG they have a Korean version of the rules available for download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the "10 Days In..." games perhaps? The components are language independent (except, I suppose, for the country names). Not too large, looks nice, and simple to learn without being lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably go with something like Go Stop since it was developed by Koreans. You will need Hanafuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft is a big deal there. I think they have two TV channels with tournaments 24-7. The thing is, they probably already have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donore wrote:
I would probably go with something like Go Stop since it was developed by Koreans.

Not trying to knock your idea at all Jacob but I am willing to bet that they already have Go Stop as it is a very popular game over there, as is Xiangqi. It would be like someone gifting an American gamer with a Monopoly set. (not really, but it is a close comparison)

I like Brett Austin's idea of gifting them Tsuro It is a very beautiful game with pleasing Asian inspired art, also, you could teach just about anyone how to play this game and it is pretty language neutral.

I wish I knew how to type Hanguel so I could teach you some good to know Korean words. Dang I miss that place, such a gorgeous country, very pleasant people also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rickards
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
An Australian Tabletop Podcast and Radio show
badge
dicemencometh.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you drop

Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

a Geekmail, as he has just left there after spending I think 7+ years living in Korea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastor_Mora wrote:
Starcraft is a big deal there. I think they have two TV channels with tournaments 24-7. The thing is, they probably already have it!

I doubt it. Futbol is a big deal in Argentina. How many people there have Futbol-based board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mentined above Tsuro sounds like a good idea to me too.

But maybe Topology is the even better choice.
It looks great too (also an abstract with lines), but has two advantages. It is more challanging, and it´s a lot of easyier to take with you.
A third bonus is, it was published only about one month ago by a small publisher, so you can be quite sure, they don´t onwn it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I actually went to Korea as well to visit relatives and I gave them Tsuro, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan and Blokus. Tsuro went extremely well... even got my great-gramps to play it! Ticket to Ride was really fun too... some rule learning, but it was fun! I just hope they still remember the rules and if not... it'll teach them English a bit! Blokus was fun to play. Settlers... did not go over well. If you rob someone, they will remember it and get your back. I actually took it back home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey
South Korea
Chungju
Chungbuk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely skip go stop you can get it anywhere here for a couple of dollars and everyone has a set or two.

Get something language neutral and fairly light because they are not generally huge gamers. Older men you see playing go and people do play go stop but it's seen more like poker is, a gambling game.

Many of the classic western games you can pick up Korean versions of off the shelf. Monopoly, Clue, Life and Catan are fairly common. I've also seen Halli Galli around a lot. Probably a good idea to avoid all those.

If you go to interhobby.co.kr you can see what is available here (if you hunt around online). There are a bunch of other sites as well to get stuff here but that one has a fairly good selection.

Again though mostly people here aren't big gamers get something light and easy without a language component. Tsuro sounds like a good pick it's something that's been on my list that I haven't found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y K
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How about something that can represent your home country?
Ticket to Ride or 10 Days in the USA?

Most popular board games - including those mentioned above - are available in up-scale book stores or through on-line shops.

And... you don't have to worry about rule translations. Lots of them - both official and unofficial - can be found in publishers' and retailers' web sites.

For instance,
http://www.koreaboardgames.com/
http://www.divedice.com
http://www.interhobby.co.kr/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted McGinty
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
since there are four of them, you cant beat Tichu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Pastor_Mora wrote:

I doubt it. Futbol is a big deal in Argentina. How many people there have Futbol-based board games?

Oh, don't get me started about boardgames in Argentina yuk its hard been a gamer here soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Getaklue wrote:
...both of whom I think are in their late teens or early 20's.

You know them to be gamers (boardgamers as they are 100% guarenteed to be video gamers) for a fact? I ask because it is not the natural gift I would think to buy for anyone of that age, regardless of nationality, but especially from the Far East - most especially the girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong with Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.