Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In rule 3.9.3 of the 2010 rule set regarding break checks it says: "Do not include T-Rated vessels unless at least one of the fleets involved in the battle is entirely composed of T-Rated vessels."

Is this referring to the first vessel being lost which triggers the beginning of break checks, counting undamaged ships for break-off modifiers, or both?

2. When a side loses its first ship does this cause only that side to begin making break checks or do both sides start making break checks?

edit: for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Dallago
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rule book in front of me but...
1 - I just don't count 'T' vessels for any of the break check stuff, unless that side is entirely 'T's .
2 - The side that has the loss/damaged ship makes the checks. If the other side has no damaged, struck or sunk vessels it doesn't check.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. In rule 3.9.3 of the 2010 rule set regarding break checks it says: "Do not include T-Rated vessels unless at least one of the fleets involved in the battle is entirely composed of T-Rated vessels."

Is this referring to the first vessel being lost which triggers the beginning of break checks, counting undamaged ships for break-off modifiers, or both?

Both.

Quote:
2. When a side loses its first ship does this cause only that side to begin making break checks or do both sides start making break checks?

You only start making break checks when your side meets the conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses, that clears things up for me. I'm going to be giving the game a try tomorrow afternoon, hopefully it all goes well, it seems like a fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread I know, but it fits this topic. Regarding Break Checks.

First, it appears that above, your side only rolls for a break check if it meets the condition. Otherwise, it does not roll to break.

Second, it appears that the way the rules are written, the side with the higher audacity has a very low chance of breaking off. Not only does the higher audacity add directly to firepower, it also is added to break checks. Such that, even if the side with the lower audacity was able to give as good as it received, the higher audacity side will very rarely break.

I say this because I wanted clarification. I am pretty sure it is designed for effect . . . a side must roll a 0 to break.

In a current game, "Cape Ortugal" - the British have 3 audacity which gets added to the break check roll. The only way the British will ever break is if the French kill the British admiral. Even if the British have twice as many damaged ships as the French, they will not break, that's only a -2 . . . it is impossible - other than killing the British leader (which breaking is automatic).

But, I want to make sure I understand that rule correctly. Is it just this scenario that poses this impossibility of breaking, or is it most of them?

Third, not a rules question, but why aren't "dismasted or damaged ships" included in the break off roll? It seems rather silly in the event that a large section of a fleet is dismasted, they have no penalty to break check, but the opponent - for the sake of argument - who has one damaged ship has a -2 to his break check.

I use hyperbole to make the point -- the higher audacity player has his audacity added to his firepower. It is also added to his break check. It is also highly likely that he starts upwind in most scenarios from his opponent, and so will likely be targeting the hull, leading to damaged vessels. All the while, his lower audacity opponent fires less effectively (why?), and usually upwind, firing at rigging, only to find that dismasting an enemy ship does not "count" for the enemy breaking.

Is it the simple matter that dismasted ships cannot break, because they are adrift?

Or something else? I am just curious about the design decision.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the points you raise. Audacity is very powerful, I am not sure why it should be added to firepower even though I would be ok for an audacity-dependent drm on initiative and am ok with the one on break off rolls. Dismasted ships should be counted for the same reasons as damaged ships: they are still a menace but not dependable for much longer. They will eventually be similar losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.