Stalingrad» Forums » General

Subject: Only few russian counters, why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Horozaniecki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see here scan of Stalingrad countersheet (only one?) and it's strange for me that russian forces are smaller than axis... Russian OoB is totally incomplete. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, that's the entire Russian army:

It's important to remember that Stalingrad was designed nearly 50 years ago, and that it was the first attempt to create a game on the Russian theater. As a military simulation, Stalingrad is a failure: the German OOB is questionable, the Russian OOB is almost totally fanciful, there are errors on the map, and the gameplay does not resemble the actual campaign in any significant way. But when played by players of equal ability (and using the alternate 4/5/6 Russian replacement rates) Stalingrad was, and still is, one of the most intense and challenging wargames ever created.

It was quite popular in its day, and was for a long time the most heavily analyzed wargame, being the subject of countless magazine articles. Today there is no shortage of Barbarossa games with more realistic game mechanics, and more accurate OOBs... but there are very few wargames of any kind that are more fun to play than Stalingrad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Russian army gets replacements. Vast numbers of replacements, under the original rules. There is the equivalent of another Russian Army and then some, off board, just not with their own unit counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true George.What Russian units gets eliminated basically comes right back in the next game turn as a replacement.

German's are hard pressed to win against even those few Russian counters so count your blessings

But to be honest I bought for my multible Sgrad copies extra countersheets "Back in the Day" to up gun the Russian's with extra units(sort of based on the number of unbits in RC)
That and own every freaking Sgrad variant out there that added in bunches of units.

By the way-George Phillies is a Stalingrad Grognard of wide fame in the wargaming community.He knows more about this game then can be written here.I have most of his articls on the game from back then(Been gaming for 43 yrs)

Glad to see you posting George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Coatney
Norway
Flateby
Akershus
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
And Kim Meints has almost every Russian Front game that has been produced.

And I heartily agree with him that it is GREAT to see George back in the lists.

Stalingrad's ... shall we say ... abbreviated Russian order of battle has a number of advantages over more historically detailed games' Russian oobs.

The fewer units are easier to surround, as difficult as that is with STAL's mechanics.

They are easier for new/younger wargamers - like kid brothers or nephews or sons - to handle.

And George and Kim have mentioned the superior Russian replacement rate, once it begins.

See my proposed Stalingrad order of battle revisions. The Axis now have fewer units too, and the Russian units are even more powerful ... but it is the game *system* - the *operations* - that gives the Germans their historic advantage.

Remember that accurately modeling the operational mechanics of the campaign is just as important as the historical roster - to whatever degree of detail that is taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That "Coatney" Revised counter mix [as of 1/13/2016] has fewer Rumanian counters, especially.
As well, there are more Russian counters that cost less than "6" to replace. [presuming Original Rules, otherwise]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.