Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nurgle has these dial rewards that let him remove corruption from the board. In what ways make you use of that ?

Some occasions its pretty clear, Slaanesh used PerverseInfiltration to place a single token somewhere, hoping it may score him 2nd ruiner. So you get rid of that. (or someone else got a single token down by a cultist someplace).

Other times, you may use it to gain an advantage or catch up on 1st or 2nd ruiner. It may indirectly help to score more points.

But there are times when you have no real use of it at all.

In our first handful of games, we even removed our own corruption tokens as Nurgle, because we thought that the longer a region is available for domination, the more points you can squeeze out of it.

I meanwhile think its a bad idea to remove your own corruption since you want regions to get ruined as quickly as ever possible to score alot of points and then move along. Thats especially true for Nurgle.

I'd always rather remove some not really important token of someone else before removing one of my own. Whats the actual gain in that ? I only see disadvantages.

If you actively delay a ruination, a Battle Cry might cross your plan. Or your figures might get killed before they can eventually finish the ruination, delaying longer than you really wanted. Others might chime in and score points on their own, so better be done with it quickly. I judge having an option on further dominations inferior to all that and scoring the ruination as quickly as possible.

I'm now witnessing in PBEM games that experienced players are also removing their own corruption. Are you doing that as well ? Whats your strategy behind that ? Lets discuss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to hang out in a region dominating it is a good thing. Delaying ruining also gains you more points for the ruination (2nd gets more points than 1st). Also good to get someone out of the scoring completely for a region about to be ruined. Maybe not the best card out there, but not the worst for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, yeah, however more often than not, delaying ruinations means that you allow more time for Khorne to gain ticks and also time for others to score points on their own. So I am not sure if thats worth the 2points you score in addition because of the meanwhile increased value of the region. Also, it may be crucial that you get to 51VP in Turn5, while it may not matter how many more VP you actually have in Turn6 by a delayed ruination, when Khorne finishes by dial.

Oh, and I am mainly talking about the dial reward not the card (All Things Decay). You are right this is the same effect and I was aware of that. But at least the dial reward comes for free, sort of. I wouldnt really pay 1 power to remove one of my own corruptions, would you ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think for Nurgle it is occasionally interesting to delay the ruination one turn.

Relocating to another region costs a lot of powerpoints. So if you are invested in a region to a degree that earns you easy domination points, then it would be better to have another 4-5 points there before moving on.

But it is HIGHLY situational. Basically the PP gain by "not having to relocate yet" invested in cards and warriors has to make up the difference in worth to ruining early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
I agree with you on this, removing your own ruination can really only hinder you in the long run. In my opinion Nurgle should be trying to hit regions hard and move on to the next ASAP.

I think it’s far to tempting for people to focus upon the dial sometimes, we all love the dials after all... it spins for starters! Weeeeeeeeee!

Lets be honest though, Nurgle never ever wins by dial and I've hardly ever seen Nurgle win and get 2 upgrade cards either (though it’s certainly possible). So I think players should only ever try for that first upgrade card, get themselves provider of ruin and then treat any other dial tick from then on as a bonus.

I've also noticed that if you slap enough corruption on a region everyone else will scramble in to get themselves a bite of the cherry before it falls. This can be used to your advantage in two ways, firstly if your sufficiently in the lead that your not going to loose your position as 1st place you can use your brothers to do the bulk of the work on that last turn for you (of course don’t forget to slap a few of your own dudes in there so you can get the ruiner points). Secondly make sure you let those leaping in there know that you are doing them a favour by letting them be there, you have done the bulk of the work after all!

Tell Slaanesh to throw fields of ecstasy down in there and if he seems a little hesitant to do so remind him that you don’t really need him and will drop about 4 or 5 points worth of warriors down there to clear him out of the way. Tzeench should equally be encouraged to spend his points to teleport away any warriors khorne may plop in among you. Also don’t hesitate to support any infighting between the two as they battle for second place... its about time they both got their hands dirty after all!

And while they are all wasting their power trying to get a few points in that region you are heading off somewhere new to get yourself a lead in corruption there so you can do the same thing all over again. They probably won’t have the power to stop you either as they will be simultaneously attempting to ensure their dial ticks or secure interests elsewhere. Ultimately you let them have a few points and you let them let you have a great deal more.

So yer, in summation never EVER remove your own corruption. It the best bargaining chip you have in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
People are correctly saying that Nurgle should be working to ruin regions and that there's a race for him to do so before someone else, but I disagree that it's "go as fast as possible". There are two main reasons for this:

Reason one is that Nurgle can use the tokens as weapons. He has cards both to use them for domination and to use them as weapons.

Reason two is related to this thread:

Kanachi wrote:
I agree with you on this, removing your own ruination can really only hinder you in the long run. In my opinion Nurgle should be trying to hit regions hard and move on to the next ASAP.

I don't think you're trying to move on ASAP as Nurgle. I think you're trying to cultivate the regions and ruin them when you're ready. There's a subtle difference. If you hit a region hard and pop it then move on, you're missing the points-per-turn that it generates for domination (and in the populous regions, that can be in the 5-point range per turn). As long as you pop it before the dial tickers' victory turn you'll still get your ruination points. Think about this: if you can sit on The Empire for two turns, you've earned as many points as a ruination right there! And if you're coming up on upgrade you almost certainly want to delay a turn to get the Provender first. ASAP is not always best.

Also, if you pop regions you score lots of points and people tend to gang up on you. It's much sneakier to cultivate them all to pop on one turn: people will not believe Nurgle is a threat sitting back around 20 points or so while Tzeentch or Slaanesh is up in the 30's so they'll go beat on them. Then when you're ready you can easily score 30-40 points in one turn and they never saw you coming. Nurgle is about tempo, but his tempo isn't always as fast as possible.

So, to the point of removing one's own token? Yes, it's not usually a wise move, but I have seen situations where it's good. You'll generally want to remove others' tokens, but there are edge cases where yours are valid targets.

Kanachi wrote:
Lets be honest though, Nurgle never ever wins by dial and I've hardly ever seen Nurgle win and get 2 upgrade cards either (though it’s certainly possible). So I think players should only ever try for that first upgrade card, get themselves provider of ruin and then treat any other dial tick from then on as a bonus.

I've seen the Lepers upgrade used well for a Nurgle win, too. So while Provender is usually our Nurgle's first upgrade, don't count out the Lepers!

Kanachi wrote:
I've also noticed that if you slap enough corruption on a region everyone else will scramble in to get themselves a bite of the cherry before it falls. This can be used to your advantage in two ways, firstly if your sufficiently in the lead that your not going to loose your position as 1st place you can use your brothers to do the bulk of the work on that last turn for you (of course don’t forget to slap a few of your own dudes in there so you can get the ruiner points). Secondly make sure you let those leaping in there know that you are doing them a favour by letting them be there, you have done the bulk of the work after all!

Sounds like you're asking Tzeentch or Slaanesh to be your patsy there. Most of our Slaanesh's would just let you have it since if they use their points to dominate the Noble regions that they REALLY care about they'll end up with more points on the turn than if they scramble to maybe get a token down for ruiner points (and have DAC's to boot). And Tzeentch? If he's coming in he's coming for place, not for show. It's far more likely that Tzeentch will let you have that region and try to beat you to the NEXT tasty one. Yes, if the others are trying to slurp up Nurgle's scraps then Nurgle is in a great position: but I'd put that more to players without appropriate agendas than Nurgle's strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.