Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in purchasing the Hag promo card #1, I have put one on the marketplace here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha as if $26. I know it'll likely sell, but it's still a ripoff, that half the price of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, yeah... I would... but... i'm not insane.

Once a random piece of a game, easily enough faked or replaced, costs the price of what could be a new game for me or my group, i'm out.

That same $26 just bought me Ascension. I think i'll sleep soundly with that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
callidusx3 wrote:
For those interested in purchasing the Hag promo card #1, I have put one on the marketplace here:

Henry, instead of selling for cash, you should put it up in as a geekgold auction - Board Games for Geekgold September 2010 - Meeple Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday the greedy-grubbers at WotC will figure things out, until then, no thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Someday the greedy-grubbers at WotC will figure things out, until then, no thanks.

I certainly hope so. Maybe proof of purchases will actually mean something someday. shake

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Figure what out? That people will pay a ton of money for a single card? You don't have to personally like it, but they figured that one out a long time ago. Scarcity makes things more desirable, especially in a niche hobby market. Many people will refuse to pay, but as long as enough people are willing to pay increased prices for promos or rares, it increases the perceived value of items. They have a fairly profitable collectible model for a number of things that seems to work real well for them. I doubt we'll see them change their model any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the market to bottom out for this sucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vanderzee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Actually WotC isn't making any money off the promo cards...they are giving them away. It's all the "greedy-grubbers" on here that are making the profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $200 for a beta Black Lotus once (they went for far more at one point) and sold it immediately for $240, since I had the buyer already lined up before acquiring the card.

When this sort of nonsense perpetuates (and what I did was nonsense--nonsense that made me $40 for about 2 minutes work), blame the buyers, not the sellers. The sellers are just recognizing a market and understanding what the market will bear.

If the seller has an item to unload, and no one is buying it, he'll drop the price. If someone buys it at a ridiculous price, don't blame the seller for maximizing profit. A good seller simply figures out how many sales he's losing for every overpriced item he sells and adjusts accordingly.

I'm guessing somebody buys the Hag priced as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisv5323 wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Actually WotC isn't making any money off the promo cards...they are giving them away. It's all the "greedy-grubbers" on here that are making the profit.

This. I'm not sure how WOTC giving away a Promo card makes the greedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
... blame the buyers, not the sellers...

Yes, blame the 'Johns' not the 'ho's. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Rykaar wrote:
I'm guessing some idiot buys the Hag priced as is.

I agree!

I know you are joking about this comment, but to some people this cost is basically nothing to get a card they want. If you have tons of cash to drop on promos or rare items, good for you. I personally wouldn't pay anywhere close to $26, but if someone else is fine paying that, good for them.

I have two copies of this card and won't be selling them anytime soon. I figure I'll keep one copy and give the other away after the release, but I hardly begrudge someone trying to turn a buck on this item either.

What were the ways to get this card at GenCon? I got mine by being part of (and winning) the life size D&D at the WoTC booth and pulling the red gem for redemption in the RPGA hall. Were there any other ways? Will there be any other ways in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petronius wrote:

What were the ways to get this card at GenCon? I got mine by being part of (and winning) the life size D&D at the WoTC booth and pulling the red gem for redemption in the RPGA hall. Were there any other ways? Will there be any other ways in the future?

They were just giving them to the folks playing the demo of the board game up on the 2nd floor on Thursday. I didn't get one because I didn't have time to play before my next event, but the GM had a stack of them.

The card itself wasn't too impressive, so I didn't worry about coming back. You aren't missing much if you don't have it, unless there is an empty place in your soul if you don't have absolutely everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
I got one at GenCon, but really -- if you feel like playing with one, why wouldn't you just print out one of the card scans from the board, and use those stats instead of one of the monsters from the deck? Y'know, say if you draw a ghoul (or whatever), you're going to place a hag instead?

It's not like it came with a cool mini or anything, it's just a stat sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.