Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which form of entertainment do you prefer and if possible, explain why.

Poll
Books, Film, or TV:
Books
Film
Television
      115 answers
Poll created by jcikal

I purposely left out both Board games and video games since I'm focusing on the top 3 passive forms of entertainment, and both BGs & VGs are active forms (even if one is more solitaire than the other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly think I could live the rest of my life without television. I think that many Americans could also stand to quit watching that devil machine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going against the grain here, but I prefer TV most of the time. It's difficult for me to find movies that I enjoy, but if I come across a TV series I like, there are usually a lot of episodes to watch, which means more character development and the possibility of longterm story development. Movies usually feel like one-offs, and I'd rather spend more time with a character or a group than just 90 minutes.

I would disagree a bit with your premise that reading books is passive. To me, it feels more active than TV or movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simpledamon wrote:
I truly think I could live the rest of my life without television. I think that many Americans could also stand to quit watching that devil machine too.

Give me tickets and transportation to every Chicago Bears game for the rest of my life (and reschedule some church services), and I'm with you.

Until then...I need that blasted TV & DVR shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Books ... definetely books. If I had to rank them it would be that, then movies and then TV.

Nothing will ever replave the actual visceral feel of turning pages, IMHO, and a sign of a good book is one that you can read more than once and still find something new in it every read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer books. But Movies give me more bang for my time. I've seen probably more movies than I have read books. Of course the experience of what I get from a book has a greater impact than what I receive from film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I voted books. These days I spend 0 hours on TV and film, although I had a good TV via Netflix run a few months back (including bailing early on Lost, 24, and BSG).

As for film vs TV, I would choose film if I had to choose from 1970 - 1995, and TV if 1996 - present. I think TV has been pretty awesome the past 20 years for the same reason as Bernard, although recent series have been a bit overly grim (or maybe it's that they take themselves too seriously) for my liking.

At this point in my life:

Tunes >>>> boardgames > books > podcasts > videogames > TV > film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted for books. Although I'd very much like to either change that to reading or adding magazines into the mix, because they are at least as important for my reading habits than books. Monocle, The Economist, Fourfourtwo, Science, Gramophone and take quite a bit of my time.

We haven't had a tv in our home now for 1,5 months and the only thing I'm missing is regular Premier League matches. At least NFL has a great online viewing service that European football is sadly lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Books. Is there really a serious alternative - I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:

I purposely left out both Board games and video games since I'm focusing on the top 3 passive forms of entertainment, and both BGs & VGs are active forms (even if one is more solitaire than the other).

In that case please go back and leave out books as well. Until then I refuse to answer since reading is definitely not any more passive than board or video games. If you want to substitute audio books, thats at least a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm not sure that my (personal) definition sapient admits room for people who don't read. TV, movies etc are below noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I voted TV. There's some great stuff on TV these days. Niche things. Great drama. Some really funny comedy. Plus: after a long day at work a little relaxation in front of the TV is a delight even if I'm watching the TV equivalent of junk food. TV is also more communal than the others and is something I enjoy watching with my family.

I would miss books greatly if I couldn't read. Even with the internet, they're still the best way I have to learn things.

Movies, well, I'm not going frequently these days. Hard to say way. Used to spend a lot of my leisure time going to independent and foreign films. Now I spend it playing games. And I don't miss the movies even a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I voted TV. There's some great stuff on TV these days. Niche things. Great drama. Some really funny comedy. Plus: after a long day at work a little relaxation in front of the TV is a delight even if I'm watching the TV equivalent of junk food. TV is also more communal than the others and is something I enjoy watching with my family.

I would miss books greatly if I couldn't read. Even with the internet, they're still the best way I have to learn things.

Movies, well, I'm not going frequently these days. Hard to say way. Used to spend a lot of my leisure time going to independent and foreign films. Now I spend it playing games. And I don't miss the movies even a little bit.

I totally agree. The quality of the best TV shows has eclipsed the quality of the best movies. Simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with books as my top choice. even though some tv and film can affect me I find that the lasting impact of a good book far outweighs anything delivered by either of the two more passive mediums; I do think that reading a book is far more active an activity than either tv or film watching.

I've definitely read my fair share of stinkers over my lifetime but a good book whether spinkled with a single great idea or those rare treasures that are littered with mind-blowing ideas make them my go-to entertainment medium. The subtlties of a book can last a lifetime but even those great films can only have so much depth.

However, I've been finding it more and more difficult to have a discussion about many given books, unless they are on a bestseller list (and thus, "everyone" has read it), with most people. Not really so with either tv or movies. But this may be more in line with my reading list than anything else as I tend to trend away from the well-plodded line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Books for me.

While I enjoy TV and movies, I can't sit still through them. Sometimes I drift away mentally and have to rewind to catch up. But a good book will hold me for hours. A book can be taken on the bus for the commute to work. A book can be read in bed (I refuse to have a TV in the bedroom - I want one relatively electronics-free room in the house).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a good movie and I watch a lot of TV but there is nothing like reading a good book. I like History, the adventure of what happened or in some cases what could have happened. It gives you a chance to use your mind and think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
The only reason I voted books, is that there is a distinct lack of tv shows I want to watch.
My favourite tv series is most definitely Alien Nation from the late 80s/early 90s. There have been a number of good series since, but nothing that really compares. The fact that my fave genres (sci-fi/fantasy) are under represented and (especially in the fantasy department) underwhelming drag me back to books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Books have a special home in my heart and head but about 1/4 of my library I never finished. Sometimes due to schedule and other times I'll leave off at such a great place I almost don't want it to end. Poor little Ender is still playing his space games in my head.

Film is such a great visual medium and can be on the intellectual level of a book. Movies of the 70s and Kubrick come to mind. Some scenes are just so powerful and iconic they leave a branded imprint on our minds. Hollywood doesn't work this way anymore and with the exception of a few gems the era of deep, compassionate and human films is left up to the indies and the archives.

Television NOW is picking up where film left off. Great series such as Battlestar Galactica, The Shield, Pillars of the Earth (yes I know its a book and a board game), Dexter and a few other series really show a renaissance in television production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Books and TV, followed by films.

I have always been a big reader, and there's so many great books out there I want to read or reread.

TV is second, but oddly enough, not live TV. I could do without cable [in fact we only have the basic networks], but I love my TV on DVD. Currently I'm watching Farscape, Slayers, Six Feet Under, Home Movies, Battlestar Galactica and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. [Couldnt get into Dexter, though I loved the first two books.]

I think Sturgeon's Law is true for all three, but it's more obvious on TV.

Films = not so much. Of course I like some films and have some favorites but I'm really not a big movie person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would simply argue there's equally as much room for both shit and true brilliance in all three mediums.

Only one, however, doesn't require electricity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

I totally agree. The quality of the best TV shows has eclipsed the quality of the best movies. Simple as that.

I totally agree too. Ever since the tv shows realized that they could actually tell long stories with deep, developed characters and interesting plotlines and combined that with the possibilities of the digital technology, I have been merely mildly interested in movies at best, usually just ignoring them completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:

Poll
Books, Film, or TV:
Books
Film
Television
      115 answers
Poll created by jcikal

I voted books, but not fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:

Poll
Books, Film, or TV:
Books
Film
Television
      115 answers
Poll created by jcikal

I voted books, but not fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I would argue...

A) Books are not a passive form. It takes mental effort to form the lexical structure in your brain, and imagination is required to form the impression of what the author tries to convey.

In comparison, TV and films just happen in front of your eyes. Though, to a video literate viewer, there is a level of appreciation of technique which can be enjoyed above the mere spectacle.

B) TV is a different form to the cinema. TV, using the continuing series, allows a long term plot to be developed.

OTOH the small size of the screen limits the amount of spectacle that can be displayed -- I can't truly spectacular films like Avatar or LotR working half as well on TV.

However TV is a more intimate form, it allows for routine use of close-ups which on the cinema screen can only work for serious dramatic effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where is all of the above
tv is easy its always there
books are great too ( Im mainlky a dragonlance fan, but it seems like ive about run out of books and it doesnt seem like there will be many/any new ones ) and movies are great but you really need to deicate a chunk of time to truly enjoy them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.