Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to look this up because I hear reading haunts are kind of spoilers which brings me to this question:

Are haunts scenarios that have a replay value (like Last Night on Earth scenarios) or do they have a big reveal that once you know it its not as fun the 2nd time around?

Is the traitor revealed in the haunts or is that done at random? Are locations, etc revealed that would give someone who played a scenario an advantage over someone who doesn't.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 50 haunts, so replay value really depends on how often you play. Seems like I get about 10 games in a year, and I think I've only replayed a haunt once, and even then, 3 of the other 5 players had never played it before, so it was still fun for all of us.

As for /who/ the traitor is, it's a predetermined list depending on the haunt chosen. Sometimes it's the person who discovered the haunt, sometimes a player to the right or left of that person, and sometimes a specific hero (and if that hero is not in the game, then usually the haunt reveler). So while each haunt is specific as to who the traitor is, the haunt chosen is completely random (depending on which Omen was chosen, and which Room it was found in).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just because the bad guy is unmasked, the fall out can still vary the story.

I mean, how many times did Scooby Doo go up against a gho-gho-ghoooost.
The chase scenes and groovy 70's music are still different.

The game contains 50 stories; alien invasion, swamp monsters, vampires, etc...no real "secrets" spoiled. Just good fun waiting for each story to unfold.

The real value of this game is the story you tell about it when you are finished playing.

Good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
As for /who/ the traitor is, it's a predetermined list depending on the haunt chosen. Sometimes it's the person who discovered the haunt, sometimes a player to the right or left of that person, and sometimes a specific hero (and if that hero is not in the game, then usually the haunt reveler). So while each haunt is specific as to who the traitor is, the haunt chosen is completely random (depending on which Omen was chosen, and which Room it was found in).

-shnar

drbsgold wrote:
Also, just because the bad guy is unmasked, the fall out can still vary the story.

I mean, how many times did Scooby Doo go up against a gho-gho-ghoooost.
The chase scenes and groovy 70's music are still different.

thanks. good to know that haunts are randomized and hearing how the chase will be different both got to the heart of what I was looking/hoping for.

Good stuff. Can't wait to get this going for a halloween get together.

Almost sounds like the computer / nes classic Maniac Mansion as a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the scenarios have information that one side is supposed to know and the other side isn't. For instance, how the good guys are supposed to fight the monster is not known to the traitor while the real strength of the monster might not be known to the heroes, or the way one or the other side accomplishes its winning conditions might be unknown to their opponents. Someone who has played the haunt and has a good memory is likely to have a significant advantage over someone who hasn't played.

The replay value comes mostly from the number of haunts available--fifty with the game and at least twenty more made by fans on this web site. If there's someone on both sides who has played a haunt before, the players might also enjoy replaying a haunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
Most of the scenarios have information that one side is supposed to know and the other side isn't. For instance, how the good guys are supposed to fight the monster is not known to the traitor while the real strength of the monster might not be known to the heroes, or the way one or the other side accomplishes its winning conditions might be unknown to their opponents. Someone who has played the haunt and has a good memory is likely to have a significant advantage over someone who hasn't played.

The replay value comes mostly from the number of haunts available--fifty with the game and at least twenty more made by fans on this web site. If there's someone on both sides who has played a haunt before, the players might also enjoy replaying a haunt.

Thanks. I definitely want to pick this up. Had my eye on this back when it was selling for over $100 and even then I was considering it.

As I'm a one year veteran in running board games there are few games we've replayed more than 10 times let alone 50 so the replay value should live well past 50 plays at the game table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.