Michael Ayers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everybody, I’m new to this site.

I’m a university student in the UK. In a few weeks I will be taking part in an international mentoring scheme. This means that I will get assigned a small group (4-6) of university students (from anywhere in the world) who have just arrived in the UK, who I don’t know and who don’t know each other. The aim of the scheme is to help them settle into life at university and in the UK.

My question is this. What games would you recommend as a good icebreaker for the welcome party when my group meets for the first time?

I think the games should be simple to understand, quick to play and have an element of ‘getting to know the other players’ about them. A game that could introduce anything about British life would also be a bonus!

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Dixit is the right game for this.
You learn a lot about the others hearing what associations they have to the pictures.
But it is not so obvious and boring as it is in games like Personality or ego.

But you also can learn a lot about people by just playing Pickomino for example. Who takes a risk? Who is more interrested in stealing worms form the others than in collecting his onw? Who gets angry if he has bad luck? ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000 Blank White Cards is a good game. You can make it for any number of players (the 3-6 players is a suggestion) and the game can be whatever you and your guests make it. If you add in cards like "everyone who likes X gains 10 points" or "If you've been to X, lose 50 points", people will get to know each other. Also, as another bonus, the game is free (except for the sheets of paper and pens you need to make it). In my experience it leads to a lot of playing off each others' ideas as well, which is a bonus for icebreaking.

I will second Dixit as well. The only problem I can see with Dixit is potentially cultural and language barriers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ayers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at Dixit, and it sounds a really interesting game.

I was looking for a game that might be a bit shorter (and perhaps less expensive) than this however. Maybe lasting around 5-15 minutes. Would it be possible to do a 'make-your-own' version of Dixit, where perhaps each player gets 6 blank cards and had to draw a picture on each? Then we shuffle the cards as normal, with each player getting one turn?

Maybe I could do a similar thing with a game such as apples to apples, where I write words on a few blank cards and play a few rounds.

I suppose I am not really looking for a game per say, more a quick structured way to get to know people. I thought a short version of a game would be a be a good way of adding a bit of focus to the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniris Arif
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Imaginiff, Taboo, Guesstures, and Wits & Wagers, They are all games, should help break the ice and get more acquainted while laughing and having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game we play with a group to break the ice

First you give everybody each a piece of paper each with a different word, usually verbs are best. Everybody draws their word on a separate sheet of paper. Then everyone passes their drawing to the left. When you receive a picture you write down the word or sentence you think it is on a separate piece of paper. Then everybody passes their word description to the left again and everybody looks at the word that was passed to them and then draws a picture. You write a word pass it on then draw a picture then pass it on then write a word pass it on etc. You keep doing this until a set amount of rounds or until all the original words have gotten all the way around, always ending with a word/sentence description.

Then you go through each of the original words and reveal what they turned into. It's great to break the ice and see how cooking turns into making out, etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.