Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard (for the Ugoi) 10/7/7 draft. This turned out to be one of those games that illustrates the exception to the rule theory; I invite Constant Reader to see how early they can figure out who’s going to get thumped.

Round One/MIMI
Geoff (#8) – Occ/Charcoal Burner°
Brian (#6) – 1BR(1S)
Ron (#2) – FT(2W)
Geoff – SB(PF)
Brian – 1H –2f
Ron – 3W(3)
Geoff – DL(2f)
Brian – MIMI/Kiln
Ron – SP + Stone Tongs (-1W)

I open with one of my all-time favorite Ocks, the esteemed Charcoal Burner, which eventually pays off as a 7Wood/7food (and would have performed even more spectacularly if Ron had ever purchased a cookery). Brian appropriates a stone for the Kiln gambit, Ron picks up sticks, I turn a field, and Brian buys the appaloosa. Ron takes wood, I snack, Brian secures the Kiln, and Ron takes the button to boost stone acquisition (a wee bit early, imnsho, but ultimately it didn’t really weaken his play).

Round Two/Sheep
Ron – Occ/Berry Picker
Geoff – 1R(2)
Brian – CP(3+2fl)
Ron – HF(2f)
Geoff – 2W(4)
Brian – 1C(2)
Ron – SP + Copse (-2W)
Brian – MIMI/Fp2°

Ron gets out a “foodie” Ock that proves itself to be a strategic mistake, as he effects exactly two wood hauls for the rest of the game; he’d have been far better off playing the Ock he brings out in Round Four (and using it asap). I take the reed, Brian puts the Kiln to good use, and Ron snacks, ignoring his new Ock. I gather lumber, Brian swipes clay, Ron steps on the button to get out the mediocre Copse (from which he barely extracts a profit), and Brian claims the first cookery, which my Burner appreciates.

Round Three/Fences
Ron – 3W(6) +1f
Geoff – HF(2f)
Brian – Occ/Clay Worker
Ron – SB(PF)
Geoff – 1C(3)
Brian – Sheep(2)burn2
Ron – 1G
Geoff – MIMI/Fp3°

Ron sets the Picker on the waiting 6Wood, I snack for a safety margin, and Brian brings out a standard workhorse Ock. Ron turns a field, I grab clay, Brian wolfs down the woolies, Ron preps for sowing, and I buy my fireplace. Pretty straightforward Round…

Round Four/Sow & Bake
Ron – CP(3fl)
Geoff – HF(2f)
Brian – 1R(2)
Ron – Occ(-1f)/Fisherman
Geoff – CP(3fl) –2f
Brian – Fish(4f)
Ron – S&B (1Gf/2Wf)
Geoff – 2W(4)
Geoff – SP + Flail (-1W)

Ron fuels up, I hit up the Fair to make sure I can, too, and Brian gathers in the reed. Ron plays an Ock he is almost constitutionally unable to resist; he’ll earn an excellent return on it. I pay the vig to fuel up (not too smart at this point), and Brian wisely interdicts fishing. Ron plants his grain and wood; I then clear some timber, retake the button, and put out a near-useless Minor. Harvest is by the book.

Round Five/Stone
Geoff – 3W(6)
Brian – FT(2W)
Ron – SB(PF)
Geoff – CP(3fl) –2f
Brian – 1C(3+1)
Ron – Occ(-1f)/Brushwood Collector
Geoff – SP + Peat Hut (-5W/2R)
Brian – MIMI/Clay Supports (-2W)
Ron – BR(1) + x

The 6Wood is mine, Brian and Ron burn off the specials, and I now make the foolish mistake of coughing hard to fuel up, a remarkably shortsighted thing to do. Brian cops clay, Ron ponies up to obviate reed concerns, and I test out a Minor I’ve never had the opportunity to try out before, the humble Peat Hut, essentially a detached “wooden” room that can never be renovated (note that I use wood as fuel for the construction). Brian adds a Minor to his arsenal that pretty much says, “I’m going to renovate as soon as I can,” and Ron builds a room of his own. I’m already thinking I should have just done that myself, although nailing down the button does guarantee I can ravage the woolies next Round. The dumb mistake, though, was wasting precious food for fuel.

Round Six/Renovation + MIMI
Geoff – Sheep(3)burn3
Brian – 2W(4) + 1C
Ron – CP(3fl)
Geoff – CW/Fp3>CH4°
Brian – Ren>C + Household Inventory (1R/1G/1C –1f)
Ron – 1S(2+1)
Geoff – SP + Arid Field*
Ron – 1C(3)

I waste no time torching the woolies. Brian works the wood, Ron fuels up, and I take the “free” cookery upgrade. Brian effects early renovation, passing along a useful Minor that dies with Ron. Ron grabs Tong-enhanced stone, I step on the button to get out a now defanged Minor, and Ron grabs clay for his own upcoming renovation gambit.

Round Seven/Family Growth + MI
Geoff – FG + x
Brian – 3W(6)
Ron – Fish(3+3f)
Geoff – CW/CH4>Cookhouse°
Brian – SB(PF)
Ron – Ren>C + Well (5f>
Geoff – 1R(3)
Brian – BR(1) + 3s

Needless to say, I add a worker. Brian hauls the 6Wood, Ron puts the Fisherman into the black, and I specialize another “free” upgrade. Brian turns a field, Ron renovates and claims the Well, and I seize the reed. Brian builds his room and triple stables. At harvest, I’m obligated to burn off a wood to heat my Peat Hut; all else is normal. The action count at halftime stands at: Brian – 18, Ron – 20, and Geoff – 21. Things are pretty close to neck and neck at the moment…

Round Eight/Boar
Geoff – HF(2f)
Brian – FG + Bog Body
Ron – 1H
Geoff – 1C(3)
Brian – CP(3+2fl) –2f
Ron – 1S(2+1)
Geoff – BR(1) + 2s
Brian – Sheep(2)
Ron – Occ(-1f)/Wood Collector (5W>
Geoff – 1G

I snack, if only to bump the cost of the special, Brian adds a worker and an okay Minor (good for a point or two), and Ron adds his first horse. I take clay for my own renovation, Brian coughs deep to keep his Kiln roaring, and Ron clears stone again. I build a room and breeding stables, Brian herds woolies, and Ron forks over for an Ock that’s barely worth the bother (a food and an action for a downstream 5Wood is not any sort of a bargain. I close the Round by mistakenly opting for a grain instead of spiking wood. I’ll pay for that down the road…

Round Nine/Vegetables
Geoff – FG + x
Brian – 3W(6) + 1C
Ron – 2W(6) + 1f
Geoff – HF(2f)
Brian – 1H
Ron – SP + Quarry
Geoff – 1C(3)
Brian – Boar(2)burn1+2sheep
Geoff – Ren>C + Fp3°
Brian – CW/Fp2>CH5° -2f
Brian – (b1b) Occ(-1f)/Market Woman

Growth goes without saying; it’s mine. Brian and Ron strip wood from the board, I snack, and Brian picks up an equine breeder. Ron reclaims the button to activate the formidable Minor stone source, I double my clay, and Brian restocks supplies. I renovate and buy another cookery; then Brian upgrades (giving the Burner its penultimate payoff), toasts a piglet, and plays the Market Woman. I can only wish I’d had the wherewithal to block his Clandestine Work. At harvest, I slough off a 3Wood for heating.

Round Ten/Stone
Ron – FT(2W)
Geoff – SB(PF)
Brian – BR(1) + 1s
Ron – FG + Tavern (-2S/2W)
Geoff – SP + Beanfield
Brian – 1V + 2G
Ron – Fish(3+3f)
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Chamberlain
Brian – Tavern (3f)
Geoff – Sheep(2)burn2
Geoff – 3W(3)

Ron and I dispense with the specials from the get-go, while Brian builds another room and his last stable. Ron adds a worker perforce and gets out the Tavern. I retake the button for a simple Minor that I never utilize, Brian puts his Woman to work, and Ron puts the Fisherman well into the black. I Ock the only decent secret weapon I have left, Brian grabs some bar swill, and I cook woolies and snare a bit more wood.

Round Eleven/Cattle
Geoff – 1S(3)
Brian – Boar(2)burn2
Ron – CP(3fl)
Geoff – HF(2f)
Brian – Occ(-1f)/Master Brewer
Ron – 1C(3)
Geoff – SP + Oak Bark (2W-1f)
Brian – SB(PF) –2f
Ron – DL(2f) + 3S
Geoff – 1R(4)
Brian – FT(2W) – 2f
Ron – Ren>S + Forest Path> (3W-1C)
Geoff – Cattle(1)burn1 + 1W
Brian – FG + Reed Pond (3R>

Something tells me it’s the wrong thing to do, but I haul cheap rocks regardless. Brian quickly fries up the bacon I should have probably taken. Ron fuels up, I snack, and Brian coughs for an Ock that actually serves him pretty well. Ron hauls clay, I step on the button for a middling Minor, and Brian forks over bigtime to turn a field. Ron gets first use from his Quarry, I appropriate the reed, and Brian coughs hard yet again for a few sticks of wood. Ron renovates, passing along the hot potato Minor (minus one point for whoever ends up stuck with it at game’s end), I roast a cow, and Brian adds his fourth dude, popping the Reed Pond to boot. Brian brews a grain at harvest, and all else is well. The action count now stands at: Ron – 32, Brian – 34, and Geoff – 39. Why do I not feel like I have things under control? Hmmm…

Round Twelve/Plow & Sow
Geoff – 1S(3)
Brian – 3W(6) + 1C
Ron – CW/Horse Slaughterhouse
Geoff – 2W(6)
Brian – CP(3+2fl)
Ron – P&S (PF + 3Gf)
Geoff – MIMI/Village Church (2f –4S/2W)
Brian – Fences (14)
Ron – 1C(4)
Geoff – CP(3fl) –2f*
Brian – Sheep(2)
Ron – Tavern (2VP)
Geoff – FG w/o

I find turning down budget stone piles to be nearly inexcusable, since stone is almost invariably easy to transform into points. Brian keeps his Worker busy, Ron delays committing Family Members by paying for a pricey Slaughterhouse, and I swipe the other woodpile. Brian fuels up (which is probably what I should have done instead of hauling the timber), Ron farms his grain to the max, and I build the Major while I can. Brian builds a standard 2x3 array of three pastures, Ron hauls clay that ends up being useless, and I foolishly cough hard for a last fuel-up (which at least releases the one and only payoff I’ll get from Arid Fields). Brian erases the wooly negative, Ron celebrates at the Tavern, and I take on my fifth hire, the only benefit I’ll get from the Chamberlain.

Round Thirteen/Family Growth w/o
Geoff – Cattle(2)burn2 + 2W
Brian – 1S(2)
Ron – Fish(3+3f)
Geoff – 1G
Brian – Boar(2)
Ron – FG w/o
Geoff – 1V
Brian – MIMI/Museum of the Moors
Ron – Fences (15)
Geoff – CW/Fp3>Cookhouse°
Brian – 1H
Geoff – 1H –2f
Brian – 3W(3) + 1C
Geoff – P&S (PF + 2Gf/1Vf)*
Geoff – 1BR(1S)

I rend the cattle without a second thought, securing a final Oak Bark bonus. Brian stocks rocks, Ron gets last use from the Fisherman, and I double up on grain. Brian herds piggies, Ron hires a new worker, and I cancel my veggie void. Brian builds the Museum, Ron fences to the max, and I take another “free” upgrade. Brian buys a horse, I buy a pricier one, and Brian spikes wood. I end the Round with a fit of farming, followed by a visit to the scrapyard for essential stone. This may have been a mistake, but I’ll leave it to Constant Reader to determine. Ron sloughs a grain and veggie at harvest; I burn a veggie as well, and a wood for heating.

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences
Geoff – 1S(2)
Brian – 1V + 2G
Ron – 1H
Geoff – P&S (PF + 1Gf+3f)
Brian – 2W(4) + 1C
Ron – Sheep(2)
Geoff – CW/Basketmaker’s Workshop
Brian – Occ(-1f)/House Steward
Ron – DL(2f) + 3S
Geoff – MIMI/Herb Garden
Brian – (b1V) CW/Basket Stall –2f
Ron – FG w/o
Geoff – 1H –2f
Brian – SP + Wooden Path (-1W)
Ron – PF
Geoff – Occ(-2f)/Layabout
Geoff – Ren>S + Fences (10)

The last Round is, of course, the usual frantic scurrying for points. I grab a bit of stone, farm for effect, pick up a craft Major and a last Minor point, buy a palomino, resolve supply issues with the Layabout, and then renovate to stone and fence a 5-space pasture to eliminate my empties and contain my stables. Ron grabs an equine breeder, some woolies, a snack and some useless stone, a last worker, and a final field. Brian exercises the Market Woman, nabs some wood, ocks himself a 3-point bonus, burns off a veggie, and picks up a last Major and Minor. He sloughs three grain and a 2Wood at harvest, while Ron parts with two grain, a wooly, and a wood. I lay about, missing out on a horse, but that’s the least of my concerns…

Final Score (Occupations Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as Starting Player)(Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions)(Points Per Primary Action)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those actions first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. Secondary Actions are the “extra” actions allowed by certain spaces, such as a Minor Improvement when taking Starting Player, or Baking after Sowing. Tertiary Actions are all other “extra” actions enabled via card play or the seasonal rules of the “Through the Seasons” variant. Note that the “TtS” variant has two Action Spaces that allow Secondary Actions: Spring and Autumn.

Brian – 50 (4 Occ, 5/4)(33/0)(0)(49(12)/7/10)(1.020)(52)
Ron – 44 (4 Occ, 5/2)(19/5)(4)(44(11)/7/9)(1.000)(37)
Geoff – 42 (3 Occ, 6/4)(23/5)(10)(58(16)/10/4)(0.724)(61)

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Brian 2(1) 3(3) 1(1) 1(1) 4(2) 3(2) 0(-1+7) 2(-2) 4(4) 4C(4) 4(12) (9) (7)
Ron 4(3) 4(4) 7(3) 0(-1) 1(1) 0(-1) 0(-1+3) 1(-1) 0(0) 3S(6) 5(15) (11) (2)
Geoff 4(3) 1(1) 7(3) 1(1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(-1+2) 0(0) 2(2) 3S(6) 5(15) (13) (-1)

Bits & Pieces
What interests me most about this session is how egregiously I seem to have squandered what would have otherwise been an assured win. My action advantage was tremendous, especially versus Ron, and yet I still lost, and with a fairly miserable PPA. I will leave the dissection of error to Constant Reader, if he or she is so inclined; it may or may not be an amusing exercise. Note that going first ten out of fourteen Rounds turned out to be useless, and the category I really lagged in was tertiary actions…
Ron played an excellent game, surmounting a near-useless lead Ock, and a wasted clay heist in the endgame (along with some useless bonus stone) to maintain a solid PPA and squeak out second place. Note that once again, his lead play was a special action in nine out of the fourteen Rounds. Could there be a pattern forming here?
Brian obviously played well, too, finishing up with an even better FEATS performance than Ron.
Like I said, pretty strange game.

Needless to say, thanks once again to Constant Reader for surfing the verbiage, and I hope the entertainment value was legitimate. Next report (unless supplanted by a more unique session) will be a 2-player “FotM” match with the inestimable JimmyO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
for one of the few times, if not the first time, my thoughts on the eventual winner turned out to be correct, responding to your initial question as to who was going to get thumped.

By turn three, you had already questioned a couple of Ron's moves and a couple of your own, and it doesn't look like anything Brian did was ever called into question, even though early on he was a little behind in actions.

Most of the time, one or the other of you are able to overcome your mistakes and win anyway, which accounts for my poor average in figuring out the eventual winner.

I don't know how often he wins, but I really feel for Brian if he has to play flawlessly to have a shot.

I like your self-analysis and self-deprecating sense of humor. You don't hear too much of that anymore.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
awefawef awefawef
msg tools
i don't think you took much advantage of the chamberlain, a card that is powerful enough that we decided to take it out of our group's play... you should have made sure you could both FG w/o and plow/sow (with a veggie) in round 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
mekane84 wrote:
i don't think you took much advantage of the chamberlain, a card that is powerful enough that we decided to take it out of our group's play... you should have made sure you could both FG w/o and plow/sow (with a veggie) in round 11.

Good eye. Yes, I criminally misused the Chamberlain. The button grab in Round Eleven was a waste; I should have gone for FG w/o. I haven't a clue what I was thinking at the time. P&S is a bit more problematic, since I didn't have a veggie at the time, although sowing the grain would have still been at least a bit worthwhile (since I would have reaped one and been a threat in Twelve). Regardless, I'd say my failure to use the Chamberlain effectively is what put me in third place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
for one of the few times, if not the first time, my thoughts on the eventual winner turned out to be correct, responding to your initial question as to who was going to get thumped....By turn three, you had already questioned a couple of Ron's moves and a couple of your own, and it doesn't look like anything Brian did was ever called into question, even though early on he was a little behind in actions....Most of the time, one or the other of you are able to overcome your mistakes and win anyway, which accounts for my poor average in figuring out the eventual winner.

Yeah, I didn't do a very good job of hiding Brian's eventual win, probably because he made so few mistakes. I find it interesting that he and I both paid the 2food tariff for specials in the game five times, but things worked out much better for him in the long run (note that Ron never did it at all).

Quote:
I don't know how often he wins, but I really feel for Brian if he has to play flawlessly to have a shot.

He's gotten pretty daggone competitive, I have to admit. We played a "TtS" 3-player game recently in which he squeaked me by a few points, while Ron's game imploded. That one may eventually get a write-up...

But, c'mon, admit it! You just root for him because you guys share the same first name.

Quote:
I like your self-analysis and self-deprecating sense of humor. You don't hear too much of that anymore.

Brian

Thanks. I'd much rather have Constant Reader finish one of these reports with at least a small grin threatening to dislocate their physiognomy, and an observation or two that might help him/her improve his/her game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.