Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hartman K.
United States
merrill
Wisconsin (WI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have been reading through the rulebook.

I understand some of the basics.

I am not sure on the best way to build a crew.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks for any help, Wil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Decide what style suits your play. Are you big on shooting? Does close combat work best for you? Maybe somethign else? Figure out what kind of crew you want and then decide on the leader based on it and get the figures which work for your style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll also want to choose a faction.

Each faction has masters that specialize in different areas.

The Guild is what I am most familiar with. In the basic rules set you can choose between Perdita Ortega who is very good with ranged combat, Lady Justice who is a melee beat stick, and Sonnia Criid who is a fire-based caster type. The default crews that you get in the starter packs with each master tend to reflect their abilities. For example, with Perdita you get a very range heavy crew.

With the Resurrectionists you have three more masters who are equally diverse, but are tied together with a common thread of summoning undead and casting spells that enhance undead.

The Arcanists are spell casters with different areas of specialty. Marcus is a beast master, Ramos works with 'constructs' and Rasputina is a cold-based caster.

The Neverborn are the natives of Mailfaux and are as strange as the place of their origin. Lilith is the "mother of monsters" She's a melee beat stick. Pandora is a casting expert, and Zoraida is a voodoo swamp witch. I know least about the Neverborn having only fought them once. They use demons (Nephilim) and swamp critters to do their 'wet work.'

The Outcasts are kind of a grab bag, mercenary force. You can mix them into any of the other factions or use the Outcast masters. Again, my experience against these masters is very limited though I do know the Viktorias are very good at melee.

These descriptions really don't do the factions justice. Other things you want to look for when picking a faction/master is complexity. Perdita was a good starting caster for me, but a caster like the Resurrectionists Nicodem is a bit more complex and you have to have a good handle on the game to play him to his full potential.

Pick up the book, give the masters a read and see what appeals to you and what stirs your creative spirit. Ultimately, you want to pick a faction and master that you can grow with. Of course, you aren't limited to either and can pick up others down the road, but this is a good starting off point.

Building your crew - I recommend picking up a starter pack and using that for your starting force. The basic crews work well with their specific master and give you a good range of models that you can build a 25-35 stone force with. That's what I did and as I gained experience fighting the different factions I began picking up models that are better at dealing with certain threats (the Executioner against the undead for instance). I also found that models that looked good on paper before I started playing didn't end up being as good on the table. It's better to get the experience then buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter boxes are fantastic and affordable. The way I would start would be to choose the models that look the 'coolest' to you. Build around the model that inspires you the most and you will enjoy getting the assembly/painting done and the rest flows pretty quick from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cassidy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
cuzzle wrote:
The starter boxes are fantastic and affordable. The way I would start would be to choose the models that look the 'coolest' to you. Build around the model that inspires you the most and you will enjoy getting the assembly/painting done and the rest flows pretty quick from there.

Great advice. Just pick something that jumps out at you, or go with a model with cool abilities. Check the starter packs for a good place to begin and build from there.

Do you have any inkling of which faction you would like to play, if not necessarily the exact models?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.