Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm aware from the rules that special abilties don't require an action unless otherwise noted, however I wanted to make sure of the following:

Do you need to spend 1 action to "Engage Minions in Combat" before activating the fireball ability by discarding a matching card of at least one minion present or do you just discard a card that matches at least 1 minion present and thus engage in combat without having to spend an action?

From the FAQ I understand that if there are for example 3 minions present (Red, Black and Blue) you only need to discard 1 card matching
1 of these colors. You then role 3 dice and if any of these 3 dice are at least a 2+ then all 3 die? Wanted to make sure this is correct since that would then mean that it is easier to kill 3 minions on a location with 1 fireball then 1 minion with 1 fireball. Is the theme that the minions are all hunched together and hence easier for the fireball to make contact?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) No action required - you're using a card which is costly enough. (okay...not quite right...the fireball attack is an option to use when attacking minions, which does cost an action!).

(2) You discard a card matching the color of at least 1 minion in the location, then roll a die against each minion in the location individually. A roll of 2+ kills that minion. Note that this makes the Fireball very powerful against Dragonkin, and less powerful against Orcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for clarifying that with three minions it takes 3 successful die rolls each +2 to kill 3 minions (ie resolving each die roll individually) and also that it only takes a card not an action.

Appreciate it.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem...the designer answered/confirmed this way back in the posts...but you have to dig pretty far to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
No problem...the designer answered/confirmed this way back in the posts...but you have to dig pretty far to find it.

There is a FAQ posted: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/58401/defenders-of-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye there is a FAQ, and its very useful, but I didn't think it answered this question as clearly as it was spelled out in the earlier post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I have read the FAQ but it was not clear to me after reading it which is why I asked for clarification. Thanks again for the help.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ doesn't address the question of having to spend an action to attack minions with fireball. We've been playing that you must still spend an action to attack the minions, even if you're using Fireball.

I hope Richard will chime in and clarify this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
The FAQ doesn't address the question of having to spend an action to attack minions with fireball. We've been playing that you must still spend an action to attack the minions, even if you're using Fireball.

We've been playing it that way as well. The text says play a card that matches "the minions to be attacked", and we inferred that there are no minions to be attacked until you use an action for combat.

Maybe this is why so many people are saying the Wizard is overpowered? If his fireball combats required no actions, he would be powerful indeed. He's already a pretty good character the way we've been playing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Players must spend 1 Action to attack Minions. Then the Fireball can be cast without an action to make their attack action succeed on a 2+ against all minions present. So yes, the Wizard will still need to spend an action to attack minions, but not to add the bonus attack of the fireball.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Richard,

When you write "Fireball can be cast without an action to make their attack action succeed on a 2+ against all minions present" I get confused.

Just so I understand, let me spell out my area of confusion.
Sorry that this is repetitive from my earlier posting:

In order to make the attack action succeed against all minions present, a 2+ is still required for each minion you are attacking with the fireball, correct? So if there is a black, green and blue minion on a space, I spend an action to attack, discard one card either green, blue or black and then roll 3 dice needing a 2+ on each die rolled to kill each minion. Correct? Or do you roll a single die and a 2+ kills all minions present regardless of type?

I know another user answered me earlier about this but I'm hoping that Richard will chime in for an official response.

Thanks,

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you write "Fireball can be cast without an action to make their attack action succeed on a 2+ against all minions present" I get confused.

Just so I understand, let me spell out my area of confusion.
Sorry that this is repetitive from my earlier posting:

In order to make the attack action succeed against all minions present, a 2+ is still required for each minion you are attacking with the fireball, correct? So if there is a black, green and blue minion on a space, I spend an action to attack, discard one card either green, blue or black and then roll 3 dice needing a 2+ on each die rolled to kill each minion. Correct? Or do you roll a single die and a 2+ kills all minions present regardless of type?

The answer to your question is that you always roll dice equal to the minions present - so as you list above if there are 3 minions in a space (1 Black, 1 Blue, and 1 Green) you would roll 3 dice matching the 3 colors when you spend the action to attack. Now, as the Wizard, you discard a Green Card (could have been Black, Blue, or Green) to power up your Fireball and roll the 3 dice. For each die that is a 2 or higher the minion is fried. Lets say your roll was Black die 3, Blue Die 2, and Green Die 1. The Black and Blue minions are slain, the Green survived. So, you are rolling all dice - not a single die.

Design Note: As most of you may have realized by now if you have played Arkham Horror and/or Defenders of the Realm, I love dice. So, you can almost always determine that when dice are to be rolled my designs lean toward rolling more than 1. Now, from a design perspective this occurs for more than just the fact that I love dice. Rolling multiple dice and having ways to re-roll (whether through skills, actions, or special events) provides more of a controlled dice roll process. Luck still plays a part, but is not as daunting as rolling 1 or 2 dice and looking at the results.

Thanks for playing and I hope the answer above adds clarity to your question. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Perfect! Thanks Richard!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time playing and have the exact same question as the original post. Looked up the FAQ and it did not clarify if you need to spend and action or only discard a card of the colour of a minion.

It seems like there were different opinions on this throughout the thread, so I need to clarify.

To cast the Fireball ability you need to:

1. Spend an action to engage in combat,
2. Discard a card of the same colour as one of the minions,
3. Roll a dice of the colour of each minion regardless of the colour of the card played.
4. Resolve outcome.

Thanks,

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you have it correct. Check the answers given by Richard Launius; he's the game's designer (I assumed you didn't know given your question; I'm not trying to be snarky).

Edit: I don't mean that you need to check answers in another thread; the answers provided by Richard above should be sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This answer has been previously provided by Richard:

Quote:
WIZARD

Do you need to spend 1 action to "Engage Minions in Combat" before activating the fireball ability by discarding a matching card of at least one minion present or do you just discard a card that matches at least 1 minion present and thus engage in combat without having to spend an action?

Players must spend 1 Action to attack Minions. Then the Fireball can be cast without an action to make their attack action succeed on a 2+ against all minions present. So yes, the Wizard will still need to spend an action to attack minions, but not to add the bonus attack of the fireball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Thanks,

That is what I thought, but I could not find a place where it explicitly mentioned both the use of an action and the use of the card.

I guess the use of the card was always clear since it was stated on the card, but it was just nice to have confirmation of both in one place especially when trying to learn the game for the first time.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.