Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: My Waterloo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've been outbid again on Ebay trying to get Napoleon's Last Battles (TSR). This is about the third or fourth auction of this game that has gotten away from me. I don't want to pay more than $20 for this game, but I would like to have it.

Is this game really worth more than $20? I have a feeling my nostalgia for this game is getting in the way of rational thinking.

Is there a better game on Waterloo that I should be going after, especially one that is in print?

I want something that plays in one session (8 hours), not some monster fiddly thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's complete and in great condition, I'd definitely say it's worth more than $20.

There are folks on all sides as to which of the editions are best. I have the SPI boxed edition and just aquired the TSR edition for a friend. The TSR maps are, I'd say, marginally better, the rulebook is much nicer, but I prefer the SPI counters (which are the old matte finish as compared to the TSR's glossy counters).

The Decision Games version has it's fans, but I think it looks horrible. Its additional scenario is available here: http://www.grognard.com/variants1/nlb.txt

Whichever you get, you're going to have a very entertaining game, one of the best of the old hex-and-counter games, I think. Most of the individual games are good, and of course the combined game is fun. (I used to think it was such a large game when put together, but it only occupies as much space as something like Ardennes '44 does).

If you try a one-mapper and think it's too simple, try Markus' house rules, available here: http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/lbn/lbn.html

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 seems reasonable...
Four recent prices for Napoleon's Last Battles on eBay:
$18.50
$19.05
$23.23 (12.50 GBP)
$33.44 (18.00 GBP)

Looks like a $20 price point is doable... Just avoid the British (GBP) auctions.

Or did you mean less than $20 including shipping? In that case, your chances don't look good.

NLB is a good game set and well worth $20 IMO. The 18.00 GBP price is probably more than I'd be willing to pay, but the other prices look reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade Found
A Geek saw my desperate situation and made me a trade offer I couldn't refuse. NLB is coming my way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.