United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sat down for my first solo game (learning the rules so I can hopefully teach my wife in the near future!) and ran into a small question about the results of the Panic event. I had a warband attack an undefended settlement, which would normally have an intrinsic 1 SP. The event die came up Panic, and removed one of the English defenders -- in this case, the only English defenders. So one side now has 0 SP.

My question: what happens next? Am I correct in assuming that it is now impossible for the Natives to take any casualties in this battle, as their opponents have a strength value that doesn't appear on the CRT? Do the Natives still resolve their attack normally, and thus have a chance of failing to raze the settlement, or do they just burn the place to the ground while its cowardly defenders scream and flail about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The panicking side has no one to fire in their round so they don't fire...

The non-panicking side fires normally and combat is resolved normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

What Adam said, Peter. I originally envisioned the attacker taking the space automatically when panic ensued. But development revised this to simply removing the defender's firepower, requiring the attacker to take his(her) chances with troops that may prove ineffective anyway. I had my doubts about this change, but ultimately I've come to like the added possibility of hesitance. As much barbarism as ocurred, on both sides, there were still wary men who suspected traps and advised caution. So, even in the case of panicked inhabitants, the few hearty souls left behind taking potshots might sway an offensive force from fully committing. This happened time and again during the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Or God forbid the attackers' resolve breaks in the face of helpless women and children.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I understand your comment, Sag. The frequency of an attacking force (which is typically 4SPs or more) whiffing against those helpless women and children is pretty low. Also keep in mind that most panicked residents would have lit out before the attacking force arrived, so that attackers would not be completely apprised as to the strength of the defenders, besides, those women and children could tote and fire weapons the same as a man, and behind cover, who's to tell what the attacker is facing? I didn't like the change but now I think it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

My family history in the area speaks of a trap-door in the floor of the house that was stocked with food, water, and gunpowder. The family survived the burning of the house inside that hidden basement. Had the attackers found the hidden door the residents might have chosen to set off the can of powder taking the attackers with them.

Even approaching a building to burn it is a bold proposition let alone entering, and I don't doubt that you could have a group of attackers balk the mission out of an overabundance of "caution." My prior message was an alternative to that -- the attacking force might also be overwhelmed by a sudden burst of compassion (strange though it is) and consider razing a settlement devoid of defenders and weapons to be an inappropriate response. Humans can be remarkably undependable.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True dat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.