Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With mighty Ravenloft finally upon us, and the more hardcore among us already madly sifting through the old pre-painted D&D skirmish line for the "exact right" pieces, I wonder how long it will be before the marketing machine that is WOTC, release's a special edition "HEROES and VILLIANS OF RAVENLOFT" set, of all our Ravenloft friends, taking all the hard work out of tracking down the old skirmish minis?

Vote here my gaming brothers and sisters and let time prove us right, wrong, or very very drunk...

Your voting choices as follows...
A) NEVER.
B) DOUBT IT, BUT MAYBE?
C) I HOPE THEY DO, I WOULD BUY IT.
D) I HOPE THEY DONT, I WOULD KILL THEM.
E) PURPLE MONKEY DISWASHER.
(note, E is not a real vote, you just dont like A,B,C or D.)

EDIT- A lot of positive "C" answers so far and still some playing it safe around the "B" mark... But what if WOTC "sweetened the pot" a bit by ALSO including a few special edition exclusive "enhanced monster" cards and never before seen treasure cards! You would ALL be "C" for sure! Admit it! I would buy it for so much as ONE lousy special ed card!
And what if it was FOIL!!! Eeek I would die trying to get it!
I am green with envy to all those who scored the promo hag card at gencon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right price, I will buy pre-painted minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be a poll but I have no idea how to make one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzo 13b
msg tools
C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I already buy D&D minis (mainly for my daughter), so if they were the right price, yes I would buy them.

This answer isn't in any of the choices above though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C

(I'd say "A" but I want to support the cause)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B+

+ meaning it depends on the asking price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

Each D&D Miniatures set had 40-some miniatures. So, conceivably, you could have a "Castle Ravenloft" D&D Miniatures set, which would p*ss off D&D Miniatures players (rerelease previous sculpts) and boardgamers (random package).

The latest D&D Minatures set had a fixed set of five miniatures (four small and one large) for $15. The current random miniatures booster packaging is $15 for the same. With Ravenloft having 42 miniatures, that's eight sets or $120 in prepaints at retail price. Fixed sets of 3 heroes go for about $12. Cheaper than $300 on eBay, I suppose!

IIRC, The previous starter, War Drums, had 12 miniatures (2 fixed, 10 random) for $20. So that's $80 for 48 miniatures, retail price. With $20 being the impulse point of purchase, a boardgamer could buy all the prepaints over a month at his FLGS.

Doesn't look like WotC will release prepaints. As I understand it, prepaints are a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Crosara
Italy
Montecchio Maggiore (VI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, it just dawned on me that it makes sense to get "Monsters Vault" from the new D&D Essentials line for some cool counter replacements for the miniatures! I think I would prefer nice colour graphics to unpainted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Doesn't look like WotC will release prepaints. As I understand it, prepaints are a loss.

If I recall correctly, I think someone on official D&D mini's forum speculated that DDMs would be going away to be replaced by counters.

Well, I hope they don't do away with DDMs, and would glady buy themed sets if they did it for RV. Especially since I like all the monsters they have listed so far for it, so duplicates wouldn't bother me in the least.

So, option C. Buy and be happy. Though I do like option E, I'm sure PETA will be writing you a nasty letter about working conditions for monkeys. Perhaps try an invisible purple monkey dishwasher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
niCe Guy
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perna
United States
Caledonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
I would really like a painted Dracolich and Strahd. I'm ok using the default unpainted minis for the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
E

best choice.....EVAR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E

Don't really care either way, as I doubt I'd buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather spend my limited gaming budget on new content than upgraded components.

I could see just the heroes and major villains as prepainted boxed set, but again I'd prefer more scenarios, etc.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E I just like anything about monkeys. It would have to be heroes I liked and better quality than the D&D minis I have seen. Call me old school, but I don't like that dragon headed dude. I like my warriors to look like Roland etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E! Purple Monkeys rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Eureka
MT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
B. Im not interested in prepaints as they dont do anything to enhance the game play for me. I would rather spend my money on expansions or upgrades that add something new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.