Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for taxation, on page 7 of the rulebook, are a bit unclear.
As I understand it, you collect the following as long as you control at least one castle:

1 gold per plain fief that you control
1 gold per mountain fief that you control
2 gold per forest fief that you control
3 gold per farmland fief that you control
12 gold per finished castle and control of entire kingdom or 6 gold if you own more than any other player but not all of them.

I have a two questions:

Does the castle you control need to be finished in order to collect gold from the plain, mountain, forest and farmland fiefs? Or do you still collect the gold from the fiefs even if your castle is unfinished?

As I read it, you receive 12 gold for each castle in a kingdom where you also control all fiefs in that kingdom, 6 gold if you only own more fiefs in that kingdom than any of the other players and no gold at all if any individual player owns more fiefs in the kingdom than you do. Is this correct, or do you have to own more fiefs in the kingdom than all the other players combined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
gpren wrote:
As I understand it, you collect the following as long as you control at least one castle:

12 gold per finished castle (no gold for unfinished castles)
6 gold bonus if you control the most fiefs

Is the above correct, is it PER fief or castle?

You need one castle to collect gold. You collect gold per fief. Having 2 castles does not mean you collect gold twice per fief.

gpren wrote:
Does the castle you control need to be finished in order to collect gold from the plain, mountain, forest and farmland fiefs? Or do you still collect the gold from the fiefs even if your castle is unfinished?

P10 - The word "castle" when used alone in the rules or on cards means either a finished or an unfinished castle.

p7 - If you control at least 1 castle anywhere, collect gold pieces from the treasury for all your fiefs.

The castle may be either finished or unfinished to collect gold from fiefs.

gpren wrote:
Do you collect the 6 gold bonus if you own more fiefs than any other indiviual player or more than the other players combined?

P10 - 6 gold for any castle if you control more fiefs than any other player in the kingdom (a parity)

You must control more fiefs then all others as individuals, not together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpren wrote:

12 gold per finished castle (no gold for unfinished castles)
6 gold bonus if you control the most fiefs

Is the above correct, is it PER fief or castle?

It's not entirely correct.

Fief income:
If you control zero castles, you collect no income for controlling fiefs. Holding one castle lets you collect the per fief income as above, even in kingdoms where you don't have a castle.

Castle bonuses:
First, you can only collect a single castle bonus for any given kingdom. To get the 12 gold bonus, your castle must be finished and you must control every fief in the kingdom. Failing that, if you control more fiefs than any other player in a kingdom, you can collect the 6 gold bonus for any single castle you control there, finished or unfinished.

gpren wrote:
Does the castle you control need to be finished in order to collect gold from the plain, mountain, forest and farmland fiefs?

No.

gpren wrote:
Or do you still collect the gold from the fiefs even if your castle is unfinished?

Yes, and as I noted above, you don't even need a castle in the same kingdom as the fief, so long as you have a castle somewhere on the board.

gpren wrote:
Do you collect the 6 gold bonus if you own more fiefs than any other indiviual player or more than the other players combined?

You collect it if you have more fiefs than any other single player in that kingdom (a plurality). You need a castle in that kingdom as well, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Battle
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good answers to the questions DamJon and Sphere.

The only thing I would clarify is that you may own more than one castle in a Kingdom, but you only collect the bonus (6 or 12) gold for one of them. So, having 3 castles in a kingdom that you control more fiefs than any of the other players gets you 6 gold, not 18. Also, though this wasn't a question, you can not build a castle in a kingdom where you already own one. To own more than one in a kingdom you must capture the others. And, don't forget to collect the gold for the fief itself that the castle is sitting on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help everyone. One last thing. I assume that a player collects gold for castles in each kingdom. For example,if I have finished castles in two seperate kingdoms and I control all fiefs in one of those kingdoms and the majority in the other, I collect 18 gold in total for those castles, correct? I understand that the answer is is probably pretty obvious but I just want to make sure that I have everything clear when I try to teach this game to my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gpren wrote:
Thanks for your help everyone. One last thing. I assume that a player collects gold for castles in each kingdom. For example,if I have finished castles in two seperate kingdoms and I control all fiefs in one of those kingdoms and the majority in the other, I collect 18 gold in total for those castles, correct? I understand that the answer is is probably pretty obvious but I just want to make sure that I have everything clear when I try to teach this game to my game group.

You ay only collect gold for ONE castle per turn. I recommend that you pick the one that is worth the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
gpren wrote:

You ay only collect gold for ONE castle per turn. I recommend that you pick the one that is worth the most.

Wrong answer. Gregg had it right - you can collect 12 gold in the first kingdom (where you control all the fiefs) and 6 gold in the second kingdom (where you control the plurality), for a total of 18.

The tricky bit is that if both castles were in the same kingdom, you could only take a single castle bonus, but you could still collect taxes for all the fiefs you control in both kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Battle
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, Greg. Sounds like you understand it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that. I thought it was only one. One per territory it is, instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rupe
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nashville board game con every March: tngamedays.com
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in just to confirm the word "parity" (as DamJon correctly quoted from the rules) should have been "plurality" (as Shpere correctly stated). No telling how I let the exact wrong word slip in there, then it slipped past so many proofers...

martimer wrote:
Sorry about that. I thought it was only one. One per territory it is, instead.

Yes, one per kingdom.

Also unasked, but related (and asked often when I demo)...The same thing goes for the 4 spearman bonus. You get it each round, for each complete kingdom you own. Plus, the free guys have to go into the kingdom providing the bonus (e.g. the French are not excited about British nationalism: your 4 free Brits have to go somewhere in Britain, not into your French toe hold in Champagne).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.