Fernando Darlington
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I'm reading through the rules of this game and have come a part I do not understand fully.

In 12.5 says that the defender "may do a desperation defense but only if the unit or stack contains at least two steps and the stack will be eliminated if it retreats" [...] "A desperation defense automatically cancels the retreat and the advance after combat".

What does means "the stack will be eliminated if it retreats", is it a typo or the stack will be eliminated if retreats in a further turn?.

Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a defender has suffered an adverse result that will require it to retreat, and if the retreat will result in the stack's elimination, it gets one last chance to survive. The Desperation Defense rules explain how that last chance works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Darlington
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thank you very much. Now I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, usually happens where a stack is surrounded by ZOC bonds (can't retreat through a non-negated ZOC bond) or "pinned in" by bad terrain (e.g. mechanized units near major rivers or flooded, where they would end up being eliminated by being unable to enter the requisit hexes).

Note also that it can apply to situations where you have a mixed stack of 1 step of Infantry and 1+ steps of Mechanized, where they would have to retreat across terrain features that would require the mechanized units to die and the infantry to take a step loss. While the "retreat" is still possible, the effect of the retreat would be complete elimination of all units - in such a case, the units can try to do a desperation defense to negate the retreat.

-K
Developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.