Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent thread on GMTs maps got me thinking about how big the maps were that were used by the real generals and at what scale they were. You would often see, in movies, maps that stretched over a large table, maybe 20 feet square and even larger wall maps. Anyone know how big they actually were and at what scale and how on earth did they make such huge monsters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
and how on earth did they make such huge monsters?

It involves the blood of holy chickens, a jewish raindoctor and some star wars sounds effect to create these maps.

Or was it just a big budget and a lot of paper..
I always confuse the 2???
shakeshake

Cheers, Haring

Oh and on a serious note: Good question I hope anybody can provide the answers..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen replicas of part of the Case Blue planning maps and they were 1:100,000. They were pretty big and some of the originals appear to have been taped to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For NATO I believe the standard sizes in general use are 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 scale. The 1:50s are usually used at battalion/brigade level and generally cover enough territory to depict everything of interest to that level of headquarters while still fitting inside a tent or CP vehicle. At that level you need something pretty portable. There are sometime more detailed maps such as 1:25,000 available for some locations. I think World War II maps, when available, were around this size.

The 1:250,000 scale maps are usually used by higher headquarters and they can also use 1:50s taped together because they don't move as much and often have suitable large buildings (Large country chateaus were popular in WW2) for the purpose.

These days, of course, a lot of this is on computers at US headquarters and the maps can be scaled up or down as needed and have all sorts of digital graphics that can be added or hidden as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a photo of Nimitz briefing FDR.

(OK, so I doctored it.)

The map had been placed on chairs; if we assume Nimitz was around six feet tall then that is one BIG map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

This is a photo of Nimitz briefing FDR.

(OK, so I doctored it.)

The map had been placed on chairs; if we assume Nimitz was around six feet tall then that is one BIG map.

You should have pasted in "War in the Pacific" or "USN" instead of that awful dicefest Dreadnaught laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on that image and read the caption. You might get a chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I've read somwhere that the 'Corsican Serial Pest' used to spread his maps around on the floor of a really big room and crawl around on them while formulating his plans for world domination...I've seen a picture of Hitler examining a portion of a huge wall map with a big magnifying glass 'Sherlock Holmes' style....

Edit:..FDR's thought bubble.."I wonder if the bar's open yet."...or..."I hate these 'Powerpoint' presentations!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, military map sheets were/are about 4' square, but with a lot of marginal information. The printed map area alone is about 3' square, and as noted above, they were often trimmed and glued or taped together. It was axiomatic that battles were always fought at the junction of four maps, and in the rain.

During the Cold War, each of our tanks had one round of stowed ammunition replaced by a cardboard canister filled with a tightly rolled stack of maps, together covering our potential deployment areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunray11 wrote:

During the Cold War, each of our tanks had one round of stowed ammunition replaced by a cardboard canister filled with a tightly rolled stack of maps, together covering our potential deployment areas.

I was going to tell this same story......I've been in a few Canadian Armored Units...spent some time in Germany during the cold war myself....I remember thinking that I'd like to cut a hole in the center of the "maps" and wear it (them) like a poncho........but it (they) was large enough that it would have reached the ground all around me and trip me up.

They were big......and that's just a crew commander's map.

*edit we used 1:50000*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.