Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any way toplay it with a DM vs Characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to play Castle Ravenloft with someone playing all the "villan" phases (DM) trying to beat the Characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a very boring game, as the "DM" player would really have nothing to do, since the game engine operates the monsters...

If this is really what you want to do, you should be playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeZ wrote:
Is there any way to play Castle Ravenloft with someone playing all the "villan" phases (DM) trying to beat the Characters?

Play the module in the parent game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there could be one assigned player to determine where the monsters move, but yeah it would be pretty boring. This game is made exactly to avoid the need for such a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
LukeZ wrote:

Play the module in the parent game?

In the parent game it's not good if the DM is "against" the Characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeZ wrote:

I know this is a serious question, but I find it very ironic given that so many people want to play Descent without the Overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to houserule it, but I guess it is possible. The real question is, why? The whole point of this game is it is the opposite of Descent.

If you want DM vs. the players, just play Descent.

Or, ya know, D&D. Just power up the players (a bit) so they can hold their own against a DM out to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
It would be a very boring game, as the "DM" player would really have nothing to do, since the game engine operates the monsters...

If this is really what you want to do, you should be playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

ninja

Why couldn't he just ignore the AI and play the monsters the way he wants to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
CovertDad wrote:

:ninja:

Why couldn't he just ignore the AI and play the monsters the way he wants to?
He could, but you'd have to come up with a lot of stuff first, starting with each monster's speed. Or did you mean "the way he wants to" like a DM? I.e. "my Skeleton suddenly transforms into a Dracolich right before your very eyes! Then casts a spell that opens up the ground beneath your feat *pick up the tile with the heroes on* and the earth swallows you up!" *flink the tile through the room* Yey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
I guess it's natural, but I see alot of questions where players want to morph this boardgame into something else. It's not a system, it is itself an interation of a system, and morphing it back to where it came from seems, to be honest, a bit silly.

I think it's also natural for some players to want more depth but not 4th edition D&D depth. A middle ground somewhere. WQ could be played with a DM or without a DM, why not CR? Don't you think hidden scenarios ( a la Heroquest) would be cool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:

ninja

well not quite, you could certainly play as a villian, and as the villian you would need to have a line of monters cards for each player in the game, this just removes the responsability from the the players to move the monsters.

in some instances though, you will have a choice what the monsters do, because there are 2 characters tied for closeness etc. the villian would have control over that and make the worst choice possible for the players. whereas if players were playing they would make the best choice for the safety of the players.

i'm not saying it would be fun, you certainly wouldn't have alot of choice, but there would be some there and it would be playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the rules well, but you might be able to have a "villain" player by having them draw a hand of encounter and monster cards and get a choice of which to play from their hand whenever one is called for.

You'd just have to decide how many was an appropriate hand size; perhaps 5 of each or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.