Subject: Where to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (from the UK) am looking to buy a 12x12 board (preferably wooden) for Canadian and Singaporean checkers.

However, I have been unable to find a reasonably sized one on-line... I would like one large enough to be used with my existing checkers pieces, i.e. 40-55 mm (1.6-2.2 inches) squares.

The only on-line retailer I've found is Le Valet d'Coeur, but their board is tiny (30x30 cm). I've also tried contacting the Canadian checkers association (which have pictures with larger boards), but have received no response... perhaps due to the fact that I wrote in English, and Canadian checkers is mainly played in the French speaking parts of the country as far as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, "Canadian" checkers is rarely played in Canada today and the commercial set that you found is the only one that I am aware of.

Antique folk boards can occasionally be found at antique shows here in Canada and sometimes come up for auction on eBay. The ones I have seen on eBay were not been listed as "Canadian checkers" but as "game boards" and were from the Northeastern U.S. (resulting from the Quebec diaspora of the late 19th century, when the game was popular among French-Canadians). I repatriated mine from the US through an eBay auction.

Good luck in your hunt. I would be interested in knowing if you were able to find a commercial wooden set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Singaporean angle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
The Singaporean version is even rarer. The versions I have seen being played in our neighbourhoods (they tend to be the more elderly men, for some reason) are all homemade.

My wife and I liked the game enough to get a board custom made. We like to believe it is the nicest set in the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.