badge
mbmbmbmb
Details:

- Deduction/Memory card game
- 10 - 20 min
- 2 - 5 players
- Easy to Learn, quick to play

Overview

The queen has been kidnapped, and is being held for ransom! It's your job to figure out who did it, (out of 3 suspects) and where they're holding here (out of 3 locations.) Queen's Ransom is a quick, easy to learn card game of memory and deduction.

Components

Comes in the standard Z-man card game box. 2 decks of shrink wrapped cards and a fold out sheet with the rules. The cards of good quality and seem like they'll stand up fine. The art work, front and back is really great, and very suiting to the theme. The fold out rules page is the same as other Z-man card games. One side of the page is dedicated almost entirely to game set up, while the other has the rules. The rules are well written and there was no confusion after reading through them once.

(As a side note on the cards; the 12 evidence cards themselves might actually be worth sleeving if you think you'll be playing it quite a bit. It's very important you not notice anything unique about the cards such as corner wear, scuffs or marks, as this'll can potentially take away from the deduction.)

Quick Rules Explanation

There are 2 types of cards you hold in your hand. Thus, you're presented with 2 options. (Well 3 really.) You can either:

A: Play a special card, following it's directions

These cards can be a real pain, anything from re-arranging evidence to blocking cards from being visible. There's a good variety, and they definitely keep the game interesting.

B: Play coin cards with the number of coins equal to the Jester's current fee. He's charging for info, and you're payin'. (This fee changes every at the start of every round). After paying the fee you can look (secretly, of course) at any one of the 12 evidence card on the table. (Unless it has a special card blocking it, as previously mentioned.)

C: Pass. There will be times when you can't afford to pay the fee, and either don't have a special card, or just don't want to use it. In these cases you can pass.

After doing one of the 3 choices, you draw a card.

At the end of your turn, if you think you have the Suspect and Location figured out you can make your announcement and look at all the cards.(secretly) If you're right, you win! If you're wrong, you're out of the game, and the game continues without you. (In a 2 player game 'announcing is a win or lose situation, obviously).

How The Deduction Works

There are 6 evidence cards for suspects and 6 for location. they're numbered; -2, -1, +1, +1, +1, + 2. Each of the 3 Suspects gets 2 of these evidence cards, and each location does as well.

So, for example: Say you looked at one suspect's evidence card and it has +1 on it. Now on your next turn, you manage to look at the same suspects other evidence card and it has the +2! Good work! With a little luck you've uncovered that this suspect HAS to be the guilty party. Why? Because when the other remaining cards (-2, -1, +1 and +1) are paired, they will never add up to +3 (or more) which means this is the highest, and therefore, guilty, suspect.

Now all you have to do is do the same thing on the Location side and you can make your game ending guess! Just hope the other player doesn't screw up your hard work in the meantime...

Thoughts

A great game for what it is. I think it has great re-playability, and serves as a solid little filler. I've only played with 2 players, but I suspect it will be similar with more. Be warned however, with more players the chaos will most assuredly go up, and strategic plans will more consistently go out the window.

I'm going to go with a pretty solid, 7/10.

EDITED to fix a mistake in my example..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice review.

Just a note for the evidence cards, my distrubtion is: +2, +1, +1, +1, -1, -2. So the range is +3 to -3 as you describe but this will have an effect on your strategy as you look for evidence - if you find a +1 and a +1 there may still be a +2 and +1 that could be the guilty party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:
Nice review.

Just a note for the evidence cards, my distrubtion is: +2, +1, +1, +1, -1, -2. So the range is +3 to -3 as you describe but this will have an effect on your strategy as you look for evidence - if you find a +1 and a +1 there may still be a +2 and +1 that could be the guilty party.

Hmm, I don't have my copy with me to double check this, so I'll take your word for it. Good catch.

I guess that renders my example uh, not-so certain.. (Edited!, thanks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schwenker
United States
Watervliet
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:

This exact situation happened to me on my very first play of the game: I found a +1 and another +1 on either side of a suspect, so I made the accusation, thinking there was only two +1 and two -1, but discovered to my horror another suspect that had a +2 and a +1!

Be warned, fellow gamers - don't make the same mistake I did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this in my FLGS and came home to read review. Thanks. Looks like it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.