Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second BGG play by Forum Arkham Horror game.

The title refers to the Star Trek Next Generation episode, since the players are all from the Battlestar Galactica NCC-1701.

Geeklist for this game: Arkham Horror Game 2 - The Big Goodbye

Thanks to:
coltsfan76 for the inspiration by his Battlestar Galactica PBF games
sleepybrett for the "investigator sheet" part of the board images

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. I will post banners of the players once everyone has chosen their investigator.

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name. For the sake of game speed, COs (Conditional Orders) are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently.

Game Type
This will be a Base game only.

Character Choice
Every player receives 3 investigators, of which he or she chooses one to play as.

Player Order
1. Mordenthral (choose between Harvey Walters, Jenny Barnes, Kate Winthrop)
2. spaceman spiff (choose between Bob Jenkins, Darrell Simmons, Joe Diamond)
3. Fat Tony (choose between "Ashcan" Pete, Dexter Drake, Sister Mary)
4. colmenarez (choose between Amanda Sharpe, Michael McGlen, Vincent Lee)
5. annab (choose between Gloria Goldberg, Mandy Thompson, Monterey Jack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a spot for another investigator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Preposterous!

Reporting for duty as the Sanity powerhouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arael wrote:
Is there a spot for another investigator?

I'm sorry, I forgot (again) to specify this is a private game.

There is a waiting list here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/AH_PBF

I will start a "public" game tomorrow, so that some of these names can be crossed off. This time it's not an empty promise like 4 weeks ago blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amanda has been a student at Miskatonic University for 2 years now. On her way to talk to one of her professors last month, she saw a painting in the hallway that captured her attention with its hazy depiction of some horrible creature rising up out of the ocean. Ever since, Amanda has heard strange whispers in a foreign language whenever her attention drifts. More disturbingly, she has begun to dream of the vast green depths of the ocean and terrible alien cities that lie in its darkest crevasses.

This evening, as she finishes her shift as a bank teller at the First Bank of Arkham, something out of the night calls to her-- something dark and sinister that leaves the feel of sea foam in her mind and makes her gasp with the effort of resisting it. Leaning against the brick wall of the bank, Amanda realizes that she has to find out what's happening to her or she's going to fall prey to whatever alien presence is invading her mind.

I pick:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Ho
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This coffee was horrible. It tasted so bitter, from having been brewed and left on a heating plate for ages. But somehow, the taste was also comforting, as it spoke of things not changing, things that had always been and would always stay the same. But she knew that this was not true. Soon, this city would change in ways better not imagined.

Now, all she had to do was gather the courage, and dare to go out on the streets of Arkham again, and find some way to deal with the horrible things she had seen.

Hopefully, she would find others she could work with, to figure out the clues left strewn across the map. Because she knew one thing - no one could take on the horror she had seen in her vision on their own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He downed another cup of coffee. This was going to be a long day, he thought. Setting the cup down, he noticed how badly his hand was shaking. A very long day. He didn't want to close his eyes. Everytime he held them closed for longer than a few seconds the images, those terrible images would flash in front of him.

"Darrell, Darrell" he heard a voice in the distance. The noise of the office came back to him. The typewriters clicking, the dull roar of the voices echoing. "Darrell!, where is that boy?" He knew that the editor, Mr Jefferies, was looking for him. Maybe a good assignment would help take his mind off of things. This was one day he needed a good assignment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alain, it is not too late for you to join us as a player/moderator? It would be awesome to get you into one of these games as a player?

Do you try to lay out all the encounter/mythos/monsters in spreadsheet beforehand or are you pulling the cards from a deck as we go?

Need to find a deck/monster randomizer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb

Dexter wrapped his hands around his fourth cup of coffee in three hours, contemplating the ironic turn his life had just taken.

Ever since returning from the Great War, Dexter had been known throughout Arkham as one of the best stage magicians around. Now, here he had come to learn that magic was, in fact, real, and was being wielded by forces that were beyond his understanding. Stranger still, he had begun to discover actual magical powers of his own.

He began to feel the coffee going to work. Soon, it would be time for him to go to work, although he was dreading it.

OOC: Hooray for timing - we're getting ready to head out of town in a couple of hours. We're taking the laptop with us, and I'll try to check in when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceman spiff wrote:
Alain, it is not too late for you to join us as a player/moderator? It would be awesome to get you into one of these games as a player?

Do you try to lay out all the encounter/mythos/monsters in spreadsheet beforehand or are you pulling the cards from a deck as we go?

Need to find a deck/monster randomizer...

Tell you what: Let's try this game with me still as moderator doing the card draws. We can use Orkos for your skill check rolls and the like. Once we get the hang of that, we can try to play together with a deck / monster randomizer.

On the game I'm playing at rpol, we use several card lists, and refer all to the Arkham Horror wiki. (Card list here: http://www.rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=43227&ti=2)

To answer your question, I prepare an Excel sheet with the card decks beforehand. For the monsters and location decks, I'm just using Excel's rand function to get one or more from the pool (1 of 7 for the locations, 1 of 60 for the monsters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our characters are chosen:

Game Preparation Step 5:
Our Ancient One is:

... which will please especially Harvey with his Stamina now at maximum 2.

Game Preparation Steps 7 and 9:
Receive Fixed (*) and Random Possessions in player order:

Harvey Walters receives:
Unique Item Alien Statue
Unique Item Silver Key
Spell Flesh Ward
Spell Enchant Weapon
Skill Fight

Darrell Simmons receives:
Common Item Map of Arkham
Unique Item Powder of Ibn-Ghazi
Unique Item Powder of Ibn-Ghazi
Skill Fight
Special Retainer*

Dexter Drake receives:
Common Item Shotgun
Unique Item Necronomicon
Spell Shrivelling*
Skill Luck
-> Dexter, for your random spells, you draw one more as per your ability. Which one of the following will you discard?
- Dread Curse of Azathoth
- Find Gate
- Wither

Amanda Sharpe receives:
Common Item Food
Unique Item Holy Water
Spell Shrivelling
-> Amanda, for your random skills, you draw one more as per your ability. Which one of the following will you discard?
- Will
- Bravery
- Bravery (note that with two 'Bravery' you can re-roll a failed Horror check twice)

Gloria Goldberg receives:
Common Item Lantern
Common Item .18 Derringer
Spell Voice of Ra
Spell Wither
Skill Marksman

Game Preparation Step 10:
Please state the position of your skill sliders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Funny that I would start out with the Map of Arkham!!

Speed/Sneak
3/2

Fight/Will
4/2

Lore/Lore
1/3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb

Speed/Sneak at 3/3.

Fight/Will at 1/3.

Lore/Luck at 3/2.

Discard Wither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Ho
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Please set my sliders to:

Speed 3
Sneak 1

Fight 2
Will 3

Lore 3
Luck 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Set my sliders to:

Speed 3
Sneak 2

Fight 3
Will 2

Lore 3
Luck 2

Discard one Bravery.
I like the Will + Bravery combo. If I read this right I can use re-roll similar to Mandy's research? Let's say I roll three dice to pass a horror check and fail, I use 1 clue and roll two more per the Will skill. If I still fail and choose to exhaust bravery would I get to re-roll all five dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
If I read this right I can use re-roll similar to Mandy's research? Let's say I roll three dice to pass a horror check and fail, I use 1 clue and roll two more per the Will skill. If I still fail and choose to exhaust bravery would I get to re-roll all five dice?

Yes, indeed. So that's a very powerful combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we waiting for someone? I'm not holding up the game again am I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
Are we waiting for someone? I'm not holding up the game again am I?

Not you, but Jason seems to be lost in time and space. I'm still waiting for Harvey's initial sliders.

He hasn't logged on since Friday. Let's hope it's nothing serious.

What we can do is run his character by proxy until he returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here. Let me catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, yes. Fantastic draw on the AO. lol

Let's go with:
Speed/Sneak - 3/2
Fight/Will - 1/2
Lore/Luck - 5/1

At least I have Flesh Ward. Between Enchant Weapon and the Fight skill, I could be quite a combat menace! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Game Preparation Step 10 completed.

Game Preparation Step 14:
Resolve first Mythos card:

Sunny and Clear (Environment (Weather))
* A gate opens at the Black Cave, leading to The Abyss. The clue at the Black Cave is lost. Doom starts at 1.
* Two monsters appear at the Black Cave, a Cultist and a Hound of Tindalos.
* A clue appears at Hibb's Roadhouse.
* The Cultist moves to the Rivertown.
* Sneak checks in Arkham are made at a -1 penalty. Will checks in Arkham are made at a +1 bonus.

Turn 1:

Upkeep Turn 1:
Darrell receives $2, up to $6. No need to roll for the Retainer on the first turn.

You may now issue orders for the turn:
* Any changes to the sliders (keep in mind your focus)
* Your movement
* Your encounter if it is not a standard encounter at your location
* Any CO's for the use of clues, skills, etc.

Orders will be executed in standard turn order, starting with Harvey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*gets his popcorn, and settles in for the second feature*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mr Jefferies already had his sleeves rolled up, a clear sign that he was in full command. Not an uncommon sight but not something you saw this early in the morning. He was a short stocky guy with a real workman air about him. "Darrell, get in here lad. Listen there is a report that there is some smoke pouring from that strange island out in the Harbor of the Merchants District. Get down there and try to get some good pictures of it. Oh and keep me informed of what's going on, there is a bunch of crazy stuff going on and I might need to have you cover a couple of other possible stories". Darrell gave a quick nod and turned for the door, "You got it Mr. Jefferies".

Must be some of the local bums starting a trash fire out there. Ashcan Pete was always pretty spooked about going out there, so I doubt it could be him. In all my years, nobody went out to that island for good reason. Kids went out there on a brave dare and then only the bravest or stupidest actually did it.

Darrell jumped on his bike and started down a couple of back alley shortcuts he knew to get down there as quick as possible. The sun was out and the sky was blue. He almost forgot about everything that happened the night before.

Move to the Unvisited Isle, Grab Clue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Professor Walters was prepared to do what it takes to get to the bottom of the events which led him here. "Visiting professor" gave him lots of leeway around the Uni campus and enough people in the small town had heard of him that he was able to gain further evidence of supernatural disturbances from the insular townsfolk.

He knew that whatever was happening was very close. Once more onto the streets and he may be able to uncover whatever "it" was and hopefully do something to stop it! He had to make his way across the green to the science building and reclaim the 2 artifacts he had brought with him and lent to the research team; the alien statue and silver key had some part to play in all of this.

Leave sliders. Move to the Science Building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Ho
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Adjust sliders:

Speed +1 to 4
Sneak -1 to 0

Time to go. At least the coffee had some caffeine in it, and Gloria felt a little more energetic now. She had overheard a couple of people in the diner talking about the Roadhouse nearby, and thought that she might find a clue as to what was happening if she just asked Hibb the right questions.

And if he didn't want to answer, or tried to make trouble - well, she had her little derringer in her purse, and even though she was not a professional shot in any way, she was still considered quite a marksman at the shooting range where she practiced. That would certainly come in handy in the times ahead.

Move to Hibb's Roadhouse and pick up a couple of clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.