J
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I purchased this item on eBay. The board folds in half. There is one game on the first side and 2 games on the second side. The checkerboard game is Siege of Paris. The cross-shaped game is Asalto. Does anyone know what the spiral game is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of Mehen variant?

Ancient Knizia's Keltis: Das Orakel prototype?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
The lower one on the right is classic solitaire, but I'm sure you know that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
The spiral board could be used for Hyena.

Some outside links:
http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/Archives/Davies/heyna.ht...
http://www.examiner.com/sf-education-games-in-san-francisco/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ssssay now ...
niel0248 wrote:
Does anyone know what the spiral game is?
I have a candidate: The Royal Pastime of Cupid or Entertaining Game of the Snake, which according to the geek entry dates from 1750.

But the book: Games to Play, R.C.Bell, Michael Joseph Ltd (Penguin Group) 1988 says it was derived from ancient Egypt prior to becoming popular in 'early dynastic Europe' (? whenever that may be - I'm no wiser and I hold a History degree!) The Egyptian boards were segmented from 29 to over 500 spaces; some Dominion style marketing seems to be in evidence here!

Each player has a playing piece and 6 marbles. Put your pieces on the tail of the snake and establish the start player.
Playing alternately one player chooses and conceals some of the marbles in hand. The other player calls out a guess. If correct nothing happens. If incorrect the active player advances in spaces the difference between the two numbers. 1st player to the head of the snake wins.

Personally I'd add a rule that an accurate guess advances that player the guessed number in spaces, rather than simply nothing happens. This would add a degree of bluff/counterbluff, because trying a high number risks a big penalty, so a less obvious pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
niel0248 wrote:
Hello,

I purchased this item on eBay. The board folds in half. There is one game on the first side and 2 games on the second side. The checkerboard game is Siege of Paris. The cross-shaped game is Asalto. Does anyone know what the spiral game is?

That's a great looking board! How's the quality on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Siege of Paris side has a water stain on the bottom quarter. The blue paint was also flaking off the center piece. I painted that side of the board with a water-soluable coating to keep the paint on.

The spiral/cross side is in good shape except the paint-trimming is fading.

I guess that the board was made in the late 19th century but I really don't know. When I bought it on eBay, I thought the Siege of Paris side was decorative and not a game until I came across a picture in a game book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
[=Game of Goose][/] variant is another alternative. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2785/game-of-goose

Nice find - the Siege of Paris is not a childrens game in my brief experience - perhaps the outside games were for younger players?

(The insert game thingy used to work so nicely.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one on the bottom with the circles is the first know copy of Busen Memo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
[=Game of Goose][/] variant is another alternative. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2785/game-of-goose

Nice find - the Siege of Paris is not a childrens game in my brief experience - perhaps the outside games were for younger players?

(The insert game thingy used to work so nicely.)

I've looked through Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations and The Oxford History of Board Games, but don't see or read of anything that plays on a 50-space spiral. Goose is played on a spiral, but the track is usually 63-ish spaces with several that have special functions. If this is used to play a Goose-like game, it would need to be altered to the point that it's almost a different game.

Asalto wasn't necessarily a children's game either, but it certainly wouldn't have the depth that Siege of Paris would. It could be that the spiral track is just that--a track to indicate the number of moves taken in Asalto. Each move you would push the marble forward one space, and if you get to the end of the track, the besieged player wins. That's just a WAG, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a score track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.