Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone know of a game that involves conquering the british isles, in a medieval setting? Similar to Albion and Britannia, but further divided territory-wise and ESPECIALLY one including Ireland. The more of a Samurai Swords(Read ameritrash if you want, but also talking like the warband game mechanic too) type game it is the better. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much comes to mind on this. Other than the above game, you might also consider Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans.

Doesn't fit the bill and is probably too simplistic for you, but it does involve Celts. It's relatively fun and pretty easy to learn. Yet still poses some decision making... cool

(edit: grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have trouble finding 'the Olde Firme', but this magazine game released in obscure Scottish gaming magazine "NESBITT" recreated the famous battle of Ibrox from 1987, when the fearsome Celts and the Blue Faced Rangers fought en masse in close quarters. The actual out come of this bloody pitched battle is still in some debate, seeing several combatants leaving the field of war early, thus making for substantial replay value. You can also find a ruleset online somewhere (can't remember where) for playing this combat out using this.

Those prompted to discover more about a recent recreation of this fascinating era of Scottish history are advised to read the historical document linked below:

http://sport.scotsman.com/rangersfc/Bedlam-in-Govan-as-the.2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Since you specifically cite Britannia as a model, you should check out the Ireland variants for that game:

http://grognard.com/variants1/ireland.txt

http://web.archive.org/web/20011004013622/http://britannia.ralnet.net/ireland.html

You might also consider Hibernia but its Ireland-only and currently OOP.

Since you mention warbands (tho its going to take a long time to conquer the whole of the British Isles in that scale) can I plug the underrated (IMO) Erin

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not fully meeting your requirements but an excellent game all the same is Druid: Boudicca's Rebellion, 61 A.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:

"Ah yes the Madonna with the big boobies" depending which box you buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A game just about Ireland would be interesting and almost unique... there is a Warrior Kings of Ireland game in the BGG database but a Shogun-style military/diplomatic game about medieval Ireland gets a thumbsup from me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:
Last time I checked, not medieval.

Try Kings and Castles. No plastic bits; all cardboard (on a tea towel board), but certainly the mechanics of conquering left and right would appeal to you. You get knights, men-at-arms, and archers of your own faction, and possibly mercenaries and castles to boost your attack and defense.
Fun enjoyed by all each time we play it (including tonight!).

Rewrites history from William the Conqueror to Edward IV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close, in that this features the Welsh giving Richard I more than he can handle.

The Marcher Lords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting UNO: Boston Celtics Legends won't scratch that itch, either! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, did you want Celtic or Medieval?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Celtic, between like 400ad and 1500ad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Richard Berg is working on a new Boudicca game for ATO Magazine.

ATO also put out a postcard game on Boudicca attacking Londinium, The Toast of the Town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crimsynseraph wrote:

Ah, I think we have some confusion here.
Wikipedia wrote:
The Celts (pronounced /ˈkɛlts/ or /ˈsɛlts/, see names of the Celts) were a diverse group of tribal societies in Iron Age and Roman-era Europe who spoke Celtic languages.

You seem to be thinking more in terms of
Wikipedia wrote:
A Celtic identity emerges in the Celtic nations of Western Europe in the course of the 19th-century Celtic Revival, taking the form of ethnic nationalism particularly within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland... Today, Celtic (Modern Celts to genealogy and family history researchers) is often used in order to describe the people, and their respective cultures and languages: i.e. the Bretons, the Cornish, the Irish (especially the Gaeltacht), the Manx people, the Scots and the Welsh (Cymry), i.e. the members of the modern "Celtic nations". Except for the Bretons (if discounting Norman & Channel Islander connections), all groups mentioned have been subject to strong Anglicisation since the Early Modern period, and are hence are also described as participating in an Anglo-Celtic macro-culture.

I think me, Paul and TC Tony are assuming the former definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about this then? Cromwell 2026

Don't ask ME why they chose the NAME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
And here I thought 'twas a basketball game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
crimsynseraph wrote:

Ah, I think we have some confusion here.
Wikipedia wrote:
The Celts (pronounced /ˈkɛlts/ or /ˈsɛlts/, see names of the Celts) were a diverse group of tribal societies in Iron Age and Roman-era Europe who spoke Celtic languages.

You seem to be thinking more in terms of
Wikipedia wrote:
A Celtic identity emerges in the Celtic nations of Western Europe in the course of the 19th-century Celtic Revival, taking the form of ethnic nationalism particularly within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland... Today, Celtic (Modern Celts to genealogy and family history researchers) is often used in order to describe the people, and their respective cultures and languages: i.e. the Bretons, the Cornish, the Irish (especially the Gaeltacht), the Manx people, the Scots and the Welsh (Cymry), i.e. the members of the modern "Celtic nations". Except for the Bretons (if discounting Norman & Channel Islander connections), all groups mentioned have been subject to strong Anglicisation since the Early Modern period, and are hence are also described as participating in an Anglo-Celtic macro-culture.

I think me, Paul and TC Tony are assuming the former definition.

Lol, no, no confusion, I am well aware that my usage wasn't anthropologically accurate, but I find that I am far better understood and less seen as a know-it-all when I use terms that the general population immediately understands, however incorrect they may technically be; rather than obscure, yet accurate, terms.

Also, Cromwell looks pretty awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crimsynseraph wrote:
Lol, no, no confusion, I am well aware that my usage wasn't anthropologically accurate, but I find that I am far better understood and less seen as a know-it-all when I use terms that the general population immediately understands, however incorrect they may technically be; rather than obscure, yet accurate, terms.

Your problem is that you're in a room full of wargamers, who have an increased likelihood of being aware of the technical definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oi guys! The ancient Celts =/= medieval "Celtic" cultures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not strictly speaking what you're describing, you might want to look at Hammer of the Scots. It's a 2 player game playable in 3-4 hours, probably less once you know the rules better, and has simple rules (for a wargame). There's two scenarios and the sides (England v Scotland) are asymmetric so there's plenty of replay value too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Anyone done something on this ever? whistle Celtic Thermopylae
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go a couple centuries beyond your time period, and you get to 'The 45' which is admittedly a rather cumbersome game, but playable and probably interesting to people interested in the Jacobites and Bonnie Prince Charles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also 1066: End of the Dark Ages (but don't try it with two players, it needs three or four).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar's Gallic War is good strategic game that while not Celtic-centric does involve them in a primary role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell Hath No Fury has area movement on a much finer scale than Britannia. The Celtic tribes are definitely the focus of the game, but there is no Ireland on the map, and only half of Wales.
Units tend to be at the cohort and warband level, so not everybody's cup of tea. the campaign being simulated is the Iceni revolt of 60AD.

Also there is Caesar in Gallia.
Has a heavy focus on Gallic (therefore Celtic) tribes. Hex map though, not area movement. Although the map includes both Britannia and Hibernia the action tends to concentrate in Gaul since the time period is the 50's BC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.