Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandt Fundak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So once again, I come to the end of the road with an Agricola deck. I think I've had a much better showing than I did with the E deck (a fact that will likely have me revisiting the E deck) but can I finish it off?

Previous Games in the Series
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Game 6
Game 7

Game Setup
Held Occupations: Well Builder, Chamberlain, Field Watchman, Bricklayer, Gardener, Wood Collector
Starting Hands
Occupations: Farm Steward
Minor Improvements: Village Well, Ladder, Cooking Corner, Corn Storehouse, Alms, Tavern, Goose Pond

Initial Impression: My strategy of ignoring the Fence Deliveryman in game 7 pays off and I get the Farm Steward in Game 8. I also get the combo that had me holding on to the Well Builder after game 1 instead of the Church Warden (who never made a return appearance.) Of course, if I can get the Ladder into play I will likely try to get the Basketmaker's Workshop and the reed bonus. I'm also looking to see if I can use the Tavern as effectively as I used it last game.

Stage 1
Round 1
Action Revealed: Major/Minor Improvement
Resources Available: 1 wood (from Wood Collector), 5 food (from game 7)

Thankfully, having 5 food in hand to start this game makes it easy for me to try and get some fields into play. I take grain for 1 grain and 1 plowed field, and then decide that I don't feel like sweating food at all this harvest, so I take the Major/Minor Improvement and play the Goose Pond, which requires 3 occupations and will get me 1 free food for the next 4 rounds. No foraging for me this stage!

Round 2
Action Revealed: 1 Sheep
Resources Available: 2 wood, 1 grain, 6 food

Since I have now taken care of food for this stage, I play my Farm Steward for 1 food so I don't have to worry about it the rest of the game. I then take the Major/Minor Improvement space and play the Ladder for 2 wood, which will give me reed discounts for the rest of the game.

Round 3
Action Revealed: Sow and/or Bake Bread
Resources Available: 1 wood, 1 grain, 6 food

In the past few games, I've bought a cheap Fireplace and then later upgraded it to a Cooking Hearth in order to maximize the yield on my vegetables, which are abundant thanks to the Gardener. This game I've got the Cooking Corner, so I decide to take the Clay space for 3 clay and then take the Major Improvement to take the Hearth outright for a discounted 3 clay, thanks to the Bricklayer.

Round 4
Action Revealed: Fences
Resources Available: 2 wood, 1 grain, 7 food

I would like to sow this round, but I think it makes more sense to take 1 grain and plow a field, and worry about sowing next Stage, since I am good on food. Instead of sowing, I take the Reed space, which has 4 reed and thanks to the Ladder is 1 more reed than I need to renovate twice and build 3 rooms.

Stage 1 Harvest
Field Phase: N/A
Feeding Phase: 6 food needed (1 food remains)
Breeding Phase: N/A

Stage 2
Round 5
Action Revealed: 1 Stone
Resources Available: 3 wood, 4 reed, 2 grain, 2 food

I'm glad to see the Stone space appear, and decide to spend the round building so that I can prepare for a hopeful family growth in round 6. I take the Wood space for 10 wood and then follow that up by building a Wooden room for 5 wood and 1 reed, and 3 stables for 6 wood.

Round 6
Action Revealed: Renovation with Major/Minor Improvement
Resources Available: 2 wood, 3 reed, 2 grain, 2 food

So the Family Growth space doesn't pop up, so instead of my first plan (which was to take growth and upgrade to the Cooking Corner) I decide I will use the turn to get the Well into play instead, so that when I grow in round 7, I can immediately upgrade it to the Village Well. So I take the Stone space for 2 stone, and then take the Major/Minor Improvement space and pay 1 wood and 1 stone for the Well (coincidentally leaving 1 wood and 1 stone in hand in case I should want to buy it again) and getting a free food for the next 5 rounds.

Round 7
Action Revealed: Family Growth with Minor Improvement
Resources Available: 1 wood, 3 reed, 1 stone, 2 grain, 3 food

I immediately take Family Growth and upgrade my Well to the Village Well, adding 1 free food to the next 3 rounds. While those food bonuses are nice, I still need to eat this turn, so I take the Sheep space for 6 sheep, slaughtering 3 of them for 6 food.

Stage 2 Harvest
Field Phase: N/A
Feeding Phase: 7 food needed (2 food remains)
Breeding Phase: 1 sheep

Stage 3
Round 8
Action Revealed: Take 1 Vegetable
Resources Available: 1 wood, 3 reed, 1 stone, 2 grain, 4 sheep, 4 food

Now that I have grown to the limits of my current house, it's safe for me to renovate and use the Farm Steward's power. I take the Clay space for 5 clay. I then renovate for 2 clay thanks to the Ladder and Bricklayer and since I want to save the 3 clay for building a room, I re-buy the well for 1 wood and 1 stone, getting an additional 1 food for the next 5 rounds (and 3 on each of the next 2 round spaces thanks to the Well-Village Well-Well combo.) I then take Family Growth thanks to the Farm Steward and for my Minor improvement, I upgrade my Hearth into the Cooking Corner, achieving the goals I had set before my first Family Growth action in round 6.

Round 9
Action Revealed: 1 Boar
Resources Available: 3 clay, 3 reed, 2 grain, 4 sheep, 7 food

I decide to get my fields going this turn, so I take 1 vegetable and then follow that up by taking 1 grain and plowing a field. I then sow 2 of the grain and the vegetable. Since I need to slaughter 1 sheep to have space for breeding and will be getting a vegetable from the supply during the harvest, I decide to set up to take the Stone Oven and grab the Stone space for 3 stone.

Stage 3 Harvest
Field Phase: 2 grain, 1 vegetable from the supply
Feeding Phase: 12 food needed, 7 food plus 1 sheep slaughtered for 2 food, 1 vegetable converted by the Cooking Corner for 4 food (1 food remains)

Stage 4
Round 10
Action Revealed: 1 Cattle
Resources Available: 3 clay, 3 reed, 3 stone, 3 grain, 4 sheep, 3 food

Since I am sitting on 3 grain, I decide that this is the turn I should use to not have to worry about food any more this game. I take a vegetable and a grain, plowing a field. I then take the Major Improvement Stone Oven for 3 stone thanks to the Bricklayer's clay discount and bake 2 grain for 8 food. Then I Sow the 1 vegetable and bake the other 2 grain for additional 8 food. I now have enough to eat for the end of the harvest, now to use the next round to make sure I don't need to worry about the stage 5 harvest either.

Round 11
Action Revealed: (11) 1 Stone, (12) Plow 1 Field and/or Sow, (13) Family Growth without Room, (14) Renovation with Fences
Resources Available: 3 clay, 3 reed, 4 sheep, 21 food

The Clay space finally has enough clay on it for me to build two rooms, so I take the Clay spot for 3 clay and then take the Wood space for 12 wood, in case I want to build a stable. However, I do some quick math and figure out it's either a stable or the Tavern, so I skip on the stable and just build 2 clay rooms for 6 clay and 2 reed. I think about growing for the last action, but I decide to hold off, as I can't make use of the Minor Improvement to get the Tavern into play, because I have no stone. So I take the Fishing space for 11 food instead, essentially guaranteeing I won't have to worry about food the rest of the game since I will have at least 4 vegetables by the next time I need to worry about it.

Stage 4 Harvest
Field Phase: 2 grain, 2 vegetables from the supply
Feeding Phase:12 food needed. I slaughter 1 sheep to make room for breeding for +2 food (21 food remains)

Stage 5
Round 12
Resources Available: 12 wood, 1 reed, 2 grain, 2 vegetables, 4 sheep, 22 food

Since we are getting to the end of the game, and I want to see if I can get the Tavern in play and use it for bonus points, I grab the Stone space for 3 stone. I then do my last Family Growth and play the Tavern as my minor. I avoided growing last turn because taking getting the extra action a turn early would not have helped me any, as I would have had to take 2 actions (Family Growth without Room and Major/Minor Improvement) to accomplish the same thing. So in effect, the extra action would have cancelled itself out. Once the Tavern is in play, I take Grain and plow a field, and then, setting up for the Basketmaker's Workshop, I take the Reed space for 8 reed.

Round 13
Resources Available: 10 wood, 9 reed, 1 stone, 3 grain, 2 vegetables, 4 sheep, 23 food

This is the turn to build fences, as there isn't enough stone to renovate AND play the Basketmaker's Workshop this turn. I take the Wood space for 4 wood and build fences for 13 wood, creating 2 2x1 enclosures each with a stables and 1 1x1 enclosure with a stable. I then take the Cattle (4 cattle) and Boar (5 boar) and place them in the 1 and 2 exclosure pastures respectively. I then realize that if I try to get the sheep, it would only be worth 1 extra point for me based on the breeding that will be happening in the next two harvests, as opposed to the Tavern, which gives me 2 points. So I tie one down for 2 bonus points.

Stage 5 Harvest
Field Phase: 2 grain, 2 vegetables from the supply
Feeding Phase: 15 food needed (8 food remains)
Breeding Phase:1 sheep, 1 boar, 1 cattle (in house)

Stage 6
Round 14
Resources Available: 1 wood, 9 reed, 1 stone, 5 grain, 4 vegetables, 5 sheep, 6 boar, 5 cattle

Now I need to renovate, so I take both of the Stone spaces for net 6 stone. I then Renovate for 5 stone and play the Basketmaker's Workshop for 2 stone and 2 reed (leaving me with 7 reed and a max bonus.) I then Sow 3 of my grain and bake 1 grain for 4 food. Having nothing left to do, dad heads to the Tavern again to get wasted for 2 VP.

Stage 6 Harvest
Field Phase: 3 grain, 2 vegetables from the supply
Feeding Phase: 15 food needed--12 food plus 1 cattle slaughtered for 4 food (1 food remains)
Breeding Phase: 1 sheep, 1 boar, 1 cattle

Final Results
5 family members
5 stone house rooms
5 fields
3 pastures
3 fenced stables
0 unused spaces
10 grain
10 vegetables
6 sheep
7 boar
5 cattle
20 VP from Well(4), Stone Oven(3), Basketmaker's Workshop(2), Cooking Corner(3), Village Well(5), Tavern(2), Goose Pond(1)
7 Bonus VP from Basketmaker's Workshop(3 VP for 7 reed) and Tavern (4 VP from 2 visits)

Total Score:80 points for a resounding win

Final Analysis: By far, this is the best I've played in either series and I was finally able to crack the 80 point threshold. Fortunately I was able to get every one of the Minors except the Corn Storehouse into play and I felt I did the best I could with the animals, since I was one action short of maxing out the sheep, but was still able to get 3 points for them. Now the question I have is whether or not the I deck is super powerful, or if I am just a better player today than I was when i did the E Deck Solo series. Perhaps I should revisit the E deck to find out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
these reports have been really interesting - many thanks for sharing this with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I don't much care for solo Agricola (on the rare occasions when I do play the game solitaire, I usually solo a 2-player game), and in truth, even 2-player Agricola is my least favorite competitive configuration, but your reports have been quite entertaining. I look forward to some eventual reports from you on competitive sessions of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Fundak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Agreed. I don't much care for solo Agricola (on the rare occasions when I do play the game solitaire, I usually solo a 2-player game), and in truth, even 2-player Agricola is my least favorite competitive configuration, but your reports have been quite entertaining. I look forward to some eventual reports from you on competitive sessions of the game.

i'm working on that as we speak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. These have been good. Will you be doing a 'K' series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Fundak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
Nicely done. These have been good. Will you be doing a 'K' series?

Just started it last night. I'll have a write up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.