Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
85 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: You do have a life? Don't you?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband likes to play games but he is not really all that intersted in the Geek.cry So when I mention reading this or that on the geek his eyes kind of roll and he listens politely.

The other day I was telling him how there is a lot of trading that people do on the Geek and how I can't since I don't have very many games.

He then said this completely dense coment. He said "Well, those people don't have a life, you do."

So I would like to prove him wrong (once again) and show that you guys do have a life.

So could you please tell me what do you do besides (work, or anything gameing related.)

To get the ball rolling I will tell you what I do besides work, play games, and hang out on the BGG.

I am extreamly involved in my Church. I am involved in the Young Adult group (18-30ish) called the Wild Bunch. I am also a leader in a new ministry in our church called "Celebrate Recovery". I also teach sunday school once a month, and help out with a Biweekly Food Distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but your husband is quite right.

I'm a GEEK and I'm proud!!! robot robot robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Treading the Boards
Hi Tish,

As well as holding down a full-time job as a software engineer at a large Technology company, I spend copious amounts of time at our local theatre.

I am currently in the cast of Annie at the Magic Circle Theatre, Roseville, CA - performing 3 shows each weekend for 6 weekends (unpaid).

http://www.mcircle.org

5db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
me
Well...to help you out...

I am married to a wonderful woman, I am involved in several outreach programs with my local temple (I'm Buddhist my wife is Christian).

In addition, I play backgammon professionally (read for money), I am an avid computer tinkerer, and I also collect and repair antique fountain pens.

I also read, do photography, and go diving whenever I get a chance. I also am now getting into designing games

I am also involved in several social groups that meet anywhere from weekly to once a month. Oddly enough I don't hang out with a gaming group tho. Oh and my wife also participates with me in several of the above mentioned activities in addition to her own personal interests.

Not sure if that qualifies as a life, but I'm happy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Geek IS a Life.
Well let's see...

I work as an online help developer for a non-profit foundation. I live on an Icelandic sheep dairy farm with my family and my father & step-mother, and assist with farm chores including herding, milking, and construction projects. And, I'm developing a web-site for the farm. I teach the eighth-grade confirmation class at our church. I help my wife with her studies in nursing school. I raise two daughters. I take my kids to playgroup on weekends, museums, playgrounds, etc. I write for themoderaterepublican.net on an ongoing basis. I attend PTO meetings, assist my wife with her Daisy Scout troop, and am working on applying to law school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...
...I...there was this one time that we tried to play Princes of Florence in the study hall...I mean...oh yeah - I remember some pizza came when we were playing Dutch blitz...what was your question? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I live on an Icelandic sheep dairy farm with my family and my father & step-mother, and assist with farm chores including herding, milking, and construction projects.

In New York?
Your profile says New York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My first (and to date only) Geeklist was a survey of other hobbies that BGG-ers had - it's here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Plenty of life there!

On a personal note, the Church takes up a lot of time, what with music and drams and stuff; the Bristol Concert Wind Band let me play bass with them; I'm a school governor; and there's a family around here somewhere ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other things besides gaming? I'm a psychology professor. I'm married. I'm a brown belt in karate. I read comic books, though that may count against me because it's like being a geek about two things... I like to travel and do outdoors stuff. We did a big canoe trip in the boundary waters between Minnesota and Canada over the summer. I have a cat, who likes to ride around on my shoulder. Gee, I hope this stuff counts as having a life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the time I spend on line outside of The Geek, I'm the director/cast leader for a theater group redtrain, manage a half dozen different web pages greentrain, do photography bluetrain, I'm a baseball nut (LOVE my Cubbies) yellowtrain and I plan on running for a position on the board for the association of my new condo blacktrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My first (and to date only) Geeklist was a survey of other hobbies that BGG-ers had

Thanks for the Geek list... as I was typing the journal I thought this might have worked as a list too, but then thought Nahh... I'll just leave it as a journal. Glad I did. I hate needlessly repeating a geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me.
I work full-time as a soils engineer for the local electrical authority. That means I get to go out and dig holes and such, and it also means that nobody cares about what I do until another landslide during a storm occurs - then they're all ears.

I've been married for 7+ years and have a wonderful daughter who's nearly two. I like watching good movies and good tv shows - which there are few of these days.

I'm also heavily involved with board games. I write a blog for GameWire at Gamefest, I do German to English translations for various publishers at various times - and also help Rick out with the annual Essen and Nurnberg previews. I went to Essen last year, and it was the best three grand I ever spend for a week's fun. I will be going to Columbus this April for the first time.

I like to think of myself as a well-rounded geek. Oh, that reminds me - just started Weight Watchers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
After retiring from my lucrative career as an international jewel thief, I took up macrame, except for weekends when I flew my private gyrocopter to Burma to hunt tigers. It was there that I stumbled upon a lost archaeological team, mired in the ruins of an ancient temple, and once they found I was the only one present fluent in High Mesopotamian, they made a part of their regular outings. Sadly, since the unfortunate incident with the Evolutionary Accelerator I was building in the basement, I am no longer able to see out of my left eye. I am speaking with my CIA contacts about replacing the missing orb with a GPS system and micro-maser. In the meantime, there's always the Whist club, though I've been banned from formal competition since the time I spilled my home-bottled Tahini sauce on the Queen's sash.

I also lead an active fantasy life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
www.toohipfortheroom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon...

There is more to New York than a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't you Icelandic sheep farmers responsible for the massive deforestation and ecological problems of that island? Shame on you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in law school. Sometimes I leave the law library to get a hamburger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I like you... Wait, no that was the other Chris. Nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Simon...

There is more to New York than a city.

My non-American-ness is showing through, isn't it blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

cool
Anyone who gets a rave review from Broadway Blotto is ok in my book. I'll have to take a closer look!

"I'll make more moves than Allied Van Lines"

-Cameron
(Dr. Punk Blotto in a former fan-life)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was a soldier in the 4th Infantry Division. Served around the world. Presently I'm a DAV retired. I have helped raise 3 fatherless boys, and been married to a wonderful woman for over 23 years.

I'm not sure I qualify as a true geek. Maybe a part time geek with combat boots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let see:

1) I am in charge the the entire IT for a 15 branch community bank.
2) I am a husband and lucky recipient of a beautiful wife
3) I am the father of an 11 year old daughter
4) I am the father of a 9 year old daughter
5) I am the father of a 6 year old son
6) I am the father of 3 year old twins (a boy and a girl)
7) In my church there is a woman that serves the needs of the other ladies (ie in charge of the support web). That person is my wife so she is often gone caring for the needs of others.
8) I am the financial clerk for my local church. Our church is a lay ministry so neither of us get paid for what we do, it is volunteer.
9) I have two daughters actively involved in basketball so two weeknights a week I am taking them to practice, and I lose my Saturday morning to games.
10) I am one of the happiest men alive, and greatful for what I have.
11) I play and enjoy boardgames... Amazing how number 11 there seems to nullify the rest of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
coffee During the day, I am head of software development for a hedge fund here in Dallas. That's quite a lot of time, to be honest with you.

tobacco I'm single, so I have a full-time job lining up dates and guilting my friends' wives to set me up with eligible women. Dating in Dallas is... interesting. shake

indigo I have a little dog named Jazz that's absolutely adorable, so we're always questing about for the perfect place to pee.

sugar The last two months, I've been volunteering at an after-school program for kids. Especially compared to the rough and tumble world of finance that I exist, it's wonderful to teach some little nipper read...

corn Love movies of any sort which have a decent plot. Books are great, especially scifi with a philosophical slant to 'em. Been trying to teach myself a bit about wines lately, so I don't embarass myself when given a wine list. Big fan of all the trillions of restaurants here in Dallas. Um... Aldie gives KICK-ASS parties! devil

Oh, and I've been known to have an association with a certain gaming website... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're husband says we don't have a life? What does he do for relaxation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Y' know, by eliminating work you really do remove most everyone's lives (so, those who do have time to game are actually doing more than most). After all, most folk either work or stay home with kids all day and everything else is just recovery from doing so or ramping up to do it again.

I work and my wife stays home with two kids under two. We've played games one day this year (BuyWord and Holiday). Most days, we simply survive. Feed kids, bathe kids, play with kids, put 'em to bed, wake up with 'em throughout the night, lather rinse repeat. That's a pretty full day. Whereas in the past I was involved with the local theater or ran a Cub Scouts group or helped with political campaigns or took evening classes or whatnot, now it's plenty to simply survive from day to day.

Ask me again in about 15 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.