Subject: Combining Puzzle Strike with Ticket to Ride? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
How would PS play if you used the card-drawing system from TTR? So, instead of choosing ten stacks of puzzle chips chips, each stack representing a single type of chip, you'd have ten single chips. When a chip is bought, it's immediately replaced.

Money, combine and crash chips would still be in stacks.

Any thoughts on how this would play? I know it would make set up time much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would change the game from being a more long term strategy based planning game into a more tactical "opportunistic" game. I think it would play better the standard way though, because some of those chips can be pretty powerful and it would be a bit unfair if only one person has access to them (for example: if only 1 or 2 blue chips ever show up and none of them ever show up on your turn, you'd get hosed in an MP game where other people are buying the reds/blues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problems with people shutting each other out of chips actually came up in testing. For instance, some people have asked why One of Each costs 6 when it is probably not as good as Roundhouse or Combos are Hard. It's largely because at 5, it was entirely possible for one person to buy 3-4 of them (even in a 4-player game) and it was worth it to do so not for one's own deck quality, but to keep everybody else from getting any engine pieces if it was the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the only thing that OoE does is give you +$1 and +Pig. The other two (action and draw) just let you draw what you would have drawn instead and play it if you want. So OoE is a free $ and Pig (with no drawbacks).

Still, I wish there was something to make it worth being a 6 chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
What about if you made it so you couldn't buy the same thing twice on a term?

I quite like the idea of a reactive game, though the concern about being excluded because of luck (or more luck) is a valid one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forced buys makes chips like One of Each much better than you'd expect for what they do, especially in pools without other +arrow. A straight up draw one + arrow without any other benefit would seem like a poor chip but it's certainly worth over 2 (I'd pick that blank over any other 2 cost) and I'd consider that at 3 it would be a bargain for some characters (Setsuki comes to mind), mostly because of forced buy meaning that this chip won't dilute your deck, unlike other chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have a point there...yet it still seems like roundhouse gets picked every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Well the only thing that OoE does is give you +$1 and +Pig. The other two (action and draw) just let you draw what you would have drawn instead and play it if you want. So OoE is a free $ and Pig (with no drawbacks).

Still, I wish there was something to make it worth being a 6 chip.

That's a very deceptive "just". Depending on the ender/money density of your deck, +$1 +pig frequently adds up to more than one chip.

I mean it's something along the lines of an Magic: The Gathering player saying "Adarkar Wastes just gives you the mana you could get from a plains or island if you had one" and for similar reasons.

I'm still buying OOE over Roundhouse as Jaina. In terms of raw power, OOE is clearly the worse chip, and probably below average for the 6's, but that's because the 6's are so awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.