Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt McMahon
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played a solo game of Thunderstone while our little one was napping. I'm still new to the deck building genre, but after 5 plays I'm starting to get the hang of Thunderstone or at least no longer losing solo games.

I realized as I was typing up this session report that I made one mistake in not drawing a disease card for the second Troll I killed. I also forgot to note one draw on turn 26.

Random draws ended up with Enchanted, Humanoid, and Undead-Spirits for monsters.
Heroes were Dwarves, Clan, Thyrian, and Selurin.
Village was Lantern, Light Stone Gems, Hatchet, Spear, Short Sword, Barkeep, Arcane Energies, and Battle Fury.

Initial Monster draw was Goblin, Cyclops, and Blink Dog.

Turn 1
Draw: Iron Rations, Torch X2, Militia X2, Dagger
Dungeon: kill the Blink Dog
Refill Dungeon: Haunt

Turn 2
Draw: Militia X4, Iron Rations, Dagger
Village: bought Arcane Energies

Turn3
Draw: Dagger X2, Militia X2, Torch, Blink Dog
Village: Bought Spear
Cyclops moved into Village
Refill Dungeon: Orc

Turn 4
Draw: Militia X2, Iron Rations X2, Arcane Energies, Torch
Village: Bought Dwarf
Goblin moved to Village
Refill Dungeon: Orc.

Turn 5
Draw: Militia X2, Dagger, Iron Rations X2, Blink Dog
Haunt moved to Village
Refill Dungeon: Nixie

Turn 6
Draw: Dwarf, Spear, Militia X2, Torch X2
Dungeon: Killed Nixie
Refill Dungeon: Wraith

Turn 7
Draw: Militia X3, Dwarf, Dagger, Arcane Energies
Dungeon: Killed Orc
Refill Dungeon: Lizard

Turn 8
Draw: Militia, Dagger, Iron Rations X2, Torch, Blink Dog
Village: Bought Short Sword
Xp: Trained Militia to Selurin

Turn 9
Draw: Militia X2, Spear, Torch, Dwarf, Short Sword
Dungeon: Killed Wraith
Discard: Militia
Refill Dungeon: Troll

Turn 10
Draw: Militia X3, Arcane Energies, blink Dog, Selurin
Dungeon Draw: Dagger
Dungeon: Killed Orc
Refill Dungeon: Pegasus

Turn 11
Draw: Iron Rations X2, Dagger, Dwarf, Nixie, Torch
Village: Bought Short Sword
Xp: Leveled up Dwarf to Dwarf Level 2

Turn 12
Draw: Orc, Dwarf, Dagger X2, Short Sword, Torch
Dungeon: Killed Lizard
Refill Dungeon: Haunt

Turn 13
Draw: Militia, Torch, Iron Rations X2, Arcane Energies, Spear

Turn 14
Draw: Dwarf Lv2, Selurin, Blink Dog, Nixie, Short Sword
Dungeon: Killed Troll (Added Disease)
Refill Dungeon: Wraith
Spoils: Short Sword

Turn 15
Draw: Orc, Wraith, Militia X2, Short Sword, Torch

Turn 16
Draw: Dwarf X2, Spear, Short Sword, Iron Rations X2
Dungeon: Killed Pegasus
Refill Dungeon: Troll

Turn 17
Draw: Nixie, Militia, Blink Dog, Orc, Disease

Turn 18
Draw: Dwarf Lv2, Dagger X2, Torch, Lizard, Troll
Dungeon: Killed Haunt
Refill Dungeon: Goblin

Turn 19
Draw: Selurin, Short Sword, Dwarf, Militia X2, Blink Dog
Village: Bought Spear
Xp: Leveled up Dwarf to Dwarf Level 2 and Selurin to Selurin Level 2

Turn 20
Draw: Dwarf, Dwarf Lv2, Spear, Dagger, Iron Rations, Lizard
Dungeon: Killed Troll (Forgot to add Disease)
Discard: Spear
Refill Dungeon: Ghost
Spoils: Spear

Turn 21
Draw: Dwarf, Militia, Haunt, Troll, Arcane Energies, Pegasus
Village: No buys
Xp: Leveled up Dwarf to Dwarf Level 2

Turn 22
Draw: Dwarf, Short Sword, Torch, Iron Rations, Militia, Orc
Dungeon: Killed Wraith
Discard: Militia
Refill Dungeon: Revenat

Turn 23
Draw: Disease, Torch, Nixie, Wraith, Orc, Dagger

Turn 24
Draw: Short Sword, Spear, Dwarf Lv2, Dwarf, Torch, Iron Rations
Dungeon: Killed Ghost
Refill Dungeon: Specter
Spoils: Spear

Turn 25
Draw: Wraith, Short Sword X2, Nixie, Dagger, Pegasus
Village: Bought Dwarf Level 2

Turn 26
Draw: Dwarf, Spear, Torch, Orc, Troll, ??
Dungeon: Killed Goblin
Refill Dungeon: Revenant

Turn 27
Draw: Dwarf Lv2 X2, Orc, Iron Rations, Militia X2
Village: Bought Arcane Energies
XP: Leveled (1) Dwarf Level 2 to Dwarf Level 3

Turn 28
Draw: Dwarf, Dagger, Arcane Energies, Disease, Militia, Blink Dog
Rest Discard: Disease
Revenant moved into Village
Refill Dungeon: Ghost

Turn 29
Draw: Haunt, Troll, lizard, Selurin, Wraith, Torch
Village: Bought Selurin
Specter moved into Village
Refill Dungeon: Thunderstone

Turn 30
Draw: Dwarf Lv3, Dwarf Lv2, Short Sword, Spear, Arcane Energies
Dungeon: Killed Ghost
Refill Dungeon: Pegasus
Spoils: Short Sword

Turn 31
Draw: Dwarf X3, Militia, Iron Rations, Dagger
Rest Discard: Militia
Revenant moved into Village (Thunderstone moves to rank 1)

Village Score: 23
Killed Score: 39

Overall I did better than my initial estimates after seeing the village and heroes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, detailed report. Sounds like you hit the jackpot on monster and hero draws(some of the most manageable monsters in those decks and some of the strongest heroes). That being said, it's always like playing with one hand behind your back when you don't have the Trainer card to weed out militia in favor of EXP.

When you get Wrath of the Elements you'll find that the chance of a hat trick of "do-able" monsters like that is a lot less likely(that's what I am finding anyways). When I flip over an Elemental or Golem randomizer(or Dungeon Feature(like Guardian/Trap)), I pray for an Undead card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
the first word that comes to mind is thorough, very much so. Looks like you had a lot of success too, well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Jean-Marie
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I am clear on some of the mechanics for solo especially after reading you're incredibly detailed report. Perhaps you could help me out?

I play on Normal so set up the dungeon deck but do not fill the hall as detailed.
"Set up the game normally, but do not fill the dungeon halls (only the deck)."

I then begin playing with my 12 default cards. Initially since there are no enemies in the hall so I go to the village and I make a purchase and discard my hand thus triggering a monster to be revealed in Rank 3. Draw my hand and can't reach it so to the village again, buy and discard then draw a anew, Rank 3 monsters moves to Rank 2 and a new monster is revealed in Rank 3. I do repeat this process until monsters generally add up fast in the village pile as I can not always beat the stronger monsters up front. Am I doing something wrong as from you're report it seems like you purchase from the village and head to the dungeon in the same turn, is this the correct way of playing? I can't find anything in the rules other than whats below on how to proceed.

"At the end of each turn, after drawing a new hand of cards, a monster fills up the third rank of the dungeon, pushing Monsters forward into the second and first rank."

Finally when I do manage to go to the dungeon and beat a monster, do I turn a monster right away seeing as I am about to draw a new hand? Thus I never get a reprieve from the onslaught. I feel like I am never quite strong enough to do much so all the strong monsters go to the village while I kill a few weak ones when the cards allow me to do so.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyomides wrote:
I'm not sure I am clear on some of the mechanics for solo especially after reading you're incredibly detailed report. Perhaps you could help me out?

I play on Normal so set up the dungeon deck but do not fill the hall as detailed.
"Set up the game normally, but do not fill the dungeon halls (only the deck)."

I then begin playing with my 12 default cards. Initially since there are no enemies in the hall so I go to the village and I make a purchase and discard my hand thus triggering a monster to be revealed in Rank 3. Draw my hand and can't reach it so to the village again, buy and discard then draw a anew, Rank 3 monsters moves to Rank 2 and a new monster is revealed in Rank 3. I do repeat this process until monsters generally add up fast in the village pile as I can not always beat the stronger monsters up front. Am I doing something wrong as from you're report it seems like you purchase from the village and head to the dungeon in the same turn, is this the correct way of playing? I can't find anything in the rules other than whats below on how to proceed.

"At the end of each turn, after drawing a new hand of cards, a monster fills up the third rank of the dungeon, pushing Monsters forward into the second and first rank."

Actually you have it right- no monster enters the dungeon(in rank 3 first) until you have completed your first village step.
dyomides wrote:

Finally when I do manage to go to the dungeon and beat a monster, do I turn a monster right away seeing as I am about to draw a new hand? Thus I never get a reprieve from the onslaught. I feel like I am never quite strong enough to do much so all the strong monsters go to the village while I kill a few weak ones when the cards allow me to do so.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

You have it right again- kind of. You do refill the dungeon after killing a monster and moving it to your discard hand, but you ALSO do indeed get the reprieve. Think of it like this....

-Monsters in Ranks 3,2 and 1
-You kill the monster in Rank 1
-You refill the dungeon
-You draw a new hand and make a village step, then discard than hand.
-Draw a new hand(monsters still not advancing).
-Back into the dungeon.

The reason you go ahead and refill the dungeon right after you kill a monster is that you might draw a new hand that is well-suited to kill an exposed monster(maybe its a magic attack only monster that moves into now vacant Rank 1 and your new hand is loaded with magic attacks). You can opt to go right back into the dungeon rather than take your earned reprieve in the village(I find I rarely take this option but sometimes the stars align and I can't resist "striking while the iron is hot").

So, in short...
-yes...you get a village step before any monsters are exposed at the beginning of the game
-yes, you get a reprieve in the village after killing a monster but you DO refill the ranks when a monster is killed(they just wait for you to return re-armed and reloaded- aren't they nice?)

All that being said, the more challenging solo modes mentioned in the rules have monsters advance every hand no matter what(but that's not the model for the basic difficulty).

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Jean-Marie
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
It does thanks, I'm getting my ass kicked the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.