Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Rules

Subject: Running out of card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MTip Phaovibul
United States
Mosier
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Several of my friends use a holding out card strategy ie (just keep collecting card and not play), 1 person might work out fine but we have 3 people doing it, so our drawing card is running out, including the discard piles,( they are down to 1 card in both draw and discard pile) what is the rules for this? I was rules that the next turn the person who have more than 15 card must played. Any other solution?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have never reached a position when NO MORE CARDS were available. I would just say that if their are no more cards when it is your turn then you have to play cards from your hand. I would think that by the time you have no more cards to choose from you should be able to complete at least one connection! Eventually players will be forced to play cards and the game will move on. Even if you play cards which leads to the creation of a small discard deck, that deck if used by the next player, will cause the following player to be forced to lay cards down. Not sure how good this strategy is? and why would you do it. You get no score during your hoarding?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UIEulerZeta wrote:
Several of my friends use a holding out card strategy ie (just keep collecting card and not play), 1 person might work out fine but we have 3 people doing it, so our drawing card is running out, including the discard piles,( they are down to 1 card in both draw and discard pile) what is the rules for this? I was rules that the next turn the person who have more than 15 card must played. Any other solution?


I believe the official rules are you don't have any more cards, which then forces people to either play cards, or take tickets.

If you don't find that a satisfactory solution you could limit hand sizes.

Honestly, just take all the good choke points and the people holding cards will be screwed later in the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MTip Phaovibul
United States
Mosier
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife wrote:
We have never reached a position when NO MORE CARDS were available. I would just say that if their are no more cards when it is your turn then you have to play cards from your hand. I would think that by the time you have no more cards to choose from you should be able to complete at least one connection! Eventually players will be forced to play cards and the game will move on. Even if you play cards which leads to the creation of a small discard deck, that deck if used by the next player, will cause the following player to be forced to lay cards down. Not sure how good this strategy is? and why would you do it. You get no score during your hoarding?


I normally use this strategy, I try not to reveal where am I try to go, I only claim the route that really crucial and easy to be claim and try to save other card for alternative route if first plan doesn't work, 85% of time this strategy work for me (mean I was winning), so several of my friend try to copy it but end up like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The holding cards strategy is basically a game of chicken. Somebody needs to start playing routes, if you have collected enough to make a ticket then maybe it should be you cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nordlead wrote:
UIEulerZeta wrote:
Several of my friends use a holding out card strategy ie (just keep collecting card and not play), 1 person might work out fine but we have 3 people doing it, so our drawing card is running out, including the discard piles,( they are down to 1 card in both draw and discard pile) what is the rules for this? I was rules that the next turn the person who have more than 15 card must played. Any other solution?


I believe the official rules are you don't have any more cards, which then forces people to either play cards, or take tickets.

If you don't find that a satisfactory solution you could limit hand sizes.

Honestly, just take all the good choke points and the people holding cards will be screwed later in the game.

Agreed. In the rare case that there are no train cards left to draw, then players are forced to claim a route or draw destination tickets instead until there are enough train cards.

This kind of thing does depend on "groupthink", and thus when 3 players are all in on it, then yeah, that certainly hastens that path.

If using the 1912 expansion with the warehouse module, this is even more cause for concern since the cards in a warehouse you're pining for will be emptied to form the draw decks if there are no more train cards to draw.

.

As a primer, some of the ones include but aren't limited to:
Seattle to Portland, Atlanta to Nashville

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UIEulerZeta wrote:
Several of my friends use a holding out card strategy ie (just keep collecting card and not play), 1 person might work out fine but we have 3 people doing it, so our drawing card is running out, including the discard piles,( they are down to 1 card in both draw and discard pile) what is the rules for this? I was rules that the next turn the person who have more than 15 card must played. Any other solution?


Not sure why that rule should be needed -- if you can't draw more cards, claim a route or draw more tickets, that's it. 15 cards is definitely not enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered in the game rules:

Quote:
In the unlikely event that there are no cards left in the deck and there are no discards (because players are hoarding many cards in their hands), a player cannot draw Train Car Cards. Instead he may only Claim a Route or draw Destination Ticket cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
In my experience America is too unforgiving if you do not get your preferred routes. Either that or I try to draw too many tickets.

There are many choke points and the lack of train stations (a la TTR Europa) means the only viable strategy in America is to build up enough cards to lay down at most a few connections and drop them before any opponent can interfere. This is especially true if you plan to visit Las Vegas as there are only two ways to get there. Going around is all fine and dandy if you only plan to accomplish 3 missions, but I like to stack my hand with at least 5-8 tickets, so getting the most direct route becomes critical (and similarly me getting my route means somewhere someone else is missing their's).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pipperoni wrote:
In my experience America is too unforgiving if you do not get your preferred routes. Either that or I try to draw too many tickets.

There are many choke points and the lack of train stations (a la TTR Europa) means the only viable strategy in America is to build up enough cards to lay down at most a few connections and drop them before any opponent can interfere. This is especially true if you plan to visit Las Vegas as there are only two ways to get there. Going around is all fine and dandy if you only plan to accomplish 3 missions, but I like to stack my hand with at least 5-8 tickets, so getting the most direct route becomes critical (and similarly me getting my route means somewhere someone else is missing their's).
But Europe has train stations b/c it's even more likely than in the US map that you'll get blocked out.

In the rare case that 2 people are going to Las Vegas, then yeah, that's a showdown. However, it's likely your opponents have other fish to fry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
pipperoni wrote:
In my experience America is too unforgiving if you do not get your preferred routes. Either that or I try to draw too many tickets.

If you finish the game with more than two tickets and at least one of them is incomplete, then yes, you are drawing too many tickets. This is a strategic consideration, not a rules problem.

Acknowledging that you are loading your hand with a lot of tickets (such that your best route becomes critical to your game) then looking for a rules change so that this isn't a problem for you is an attempt to manufacture a game that favours the style you happen to play. This is backwards. The point of strategy gaming is to find the strategy that wins in the situation you have.

Or in short, if you know you are drawing too many tickets and can't complete them, draw less tickets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into a situation not explicitly covered by the TTR rules at the PrezCon tourney this weekend:

Situation: Players have been hoarding cards and the train cards are down to 5 in the display (two of which are locomotives), one card in the draw pile, and no discards remaining.

Issue: Since there is a card in the draw pile, the player can chose the take ticket action. He takes one of the non-locomotives from the display and replaces it from the draw pile. The draw card turns out to be a locomotive resulting in three locomotives being in the display. Technically the train display is in an infinite loop since the same five cards come out after the flush and the player is entitled to one more card draw to finish his turn.

Resolution: We allowed the player to draw one of the two non-locomotive cards to finish their turn. The display was left with only 4 cards and per the rules no further take train actions could occur until the draw and discard decks were not empty.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.