Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Haggle - Another Journal Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Dear Geeks,

Are there any out there (12 to be precise) who would like to participate in a for money (well, at least) game run from my Journal?

I'm calling the game HAGGLE. The first 12 geeks to PM me with HAGGLE as the subject line will participate. You do not have to gift me with bag to enter, but if you do it will be added to the pot of 20bag which I will be supplying as prize money.

Once I have 12 players, I will privately assign you a letter from A to L. This is how you will be referred to in postings in the Journal. It is important that no one knows who each letter refers to (except me, of course).

Each player will be randomly assigned some goods ( coffeetobaccoindigosugarcorn ) and a couple of pieces of information (Numbered (1) to (12)) about how combinations of goods score points. The distribution of goods, and the pieces of information that each player has, will be posted in the journal. Eg.

A: coffeecoffeecoffeeindigocorncorn Info-(1,2,9,11) Trades {2}
B: tobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarsugarcorn Info-(3,7,9) Trades {0}

Each player will be allowed to participate in up to 8 6 trades during the game, to try and obtain the best scoring combination of goods. Once every player has successfully completed 8 6 trades, the game enters its final phase.

Trading Rules:
colonist To initiate a trade, a player will PM (or email) me with something like:
Quote:
Player A offers coffeecorn Info-(7)
for tobacco Info-(2,3) from Player D

I will forward the trade request via email to the other party.

colonist The other party must then respond (via PM or email to me) with:
Accept
Counter (with details of the new offer), or
Decline
Counter offers will be sent back and forth until an Accept or Decline is encountered. If a trade is agreed upon and accepted, the goods will be exchanged, the information shared, and the result of the trade posted to the Journal.

Clarifications
d10-1 Trade offers cannot be retracted. If the other party Counters your offer though, you can Decline the counter.
d10-2 You may send multiple trade offers in the same email.
d10-3 You may offer the same good to more than one player, but this might result in a trade becoming Voided.
d10-4 Trades are processed each evening (PST).
d10-5 Trades are processed in the order that Accept emails arrive in my inbox.
d10-6 If, at the time of processing, both parties have the goods and information to complete the trade, the goods and information will be exchanged, the players' inventories updated, and the updates posted to the Journal.
d10-7 If, at the time of processing, one or other party cannot fulfil the trade agreement, the trade is Voided (in essence, converted to a Decline).

Final Phase
Once all players have completed 8 6 trades, the final phase occurs. Each player must send me a PM (or email) with all, or some subset, of the goods they hold - hoping to score the highest value. I will post the results of the game shortly thereafter.

Please feel free to post questions to this Journal thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
First player signed up
Ok, my first player has signed up.

A clarification:

colonist you do not have to pay bag to play.
colonist 20bag (plus any that players do contribute) will be given to the winner of the game, or split amongst the winners if there is a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Player number 2...
... has joined.

10 more slots left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Any sponsors?
Also, if there are any geeks with bagbagbagbag's of that they just don't know what to do with, please feel free to throw a few into the pot.

Thanks for listening
lemoncamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Player Number 3 Joined
Players: meeplemeeplemeeple
Slots left: colonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonist

Prize money is now up to 5db5db5db5db5db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Player 4
Players: meeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
Slots remaining: colonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonist

Prize money increased to: 5db5db5db5db5db5db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Player 5 Joined
Players: meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
Slots left: colonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonist
Prize Money: 5db5db5db5db5db5db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Players: meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
Slots left: colonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonist
Prize Money: 5db5db5db5db5db5db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Seven Players signed in
Players: meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
Slots left: colonistcolonistcolonistcolonistcolonist
Prize Money: 5db5db5db5db5db5db1db1db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, Sign-Up is now closed.
Well, I leave for a few hours, and when I check back another 8 geeks have signed up. So I'm extending the game to include all 15 of you. But I can't take any more players.

Players: meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
Prize Money: 5db5db5db5db5db5db1db1db1db1db

Give me a day to figure out the starting conditions. I'll write to each of you individually once I have assigned your ID's.

lemoncamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too
There is no smiley that expresses my feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a genius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Starting Conditions:
A: coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigosugar Info-(1,7) Trades{0}
B: coffeetobaccotobaccoindigoindigoindigocorncorncorncorn info-(2,8) Trades{0}
C: coffeecoffeetobaccoindigoindigoindigoindigosugarsugarsugar Info-(3,9) Trades{0}
D: coffeetobaccotobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigocorncorncorn Info-(4,10) Trades{0}
E: tobaccotobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarsugarcorncorncorn Info-(5,11) Trades{0}
F: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigocorn Info-(6,12) Trades{0}
G: coffeecoffeecoffeeindigoindigosugarcorncorncorncorn Info-(1,8) Trades{0}
H: tobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigoindigoindigosugarcorncorn Info-(2,9) Trades{0}
J: coffeecoffeetobaccosugarsugarsugarcorncorncorncorn Info-(3,10) Trades{0}
K: coffeecoffeetobaccotobaccotobaccosugarsugarsugarsugarcorn Info-(4,11) Trades{0}
L: coffeetobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigoindigoindigocorncorn Info-(5,12) Trades{0}
M: coffeeindigoindigoindigosugarsugarcorncorncorncorn Info-(6,7) Trades{0}
N: coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccosugarcorncorncorn Info-(1,10) Trades{0}
P: coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeetobaccoindigoindigosugarsugarsugar Info-(2,11) Trades{0}
Q: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarsugar Info-(3,12) Trades{0}

The 15 players know who they are. Please would you each send a reply to the email I sent you (BGG Haggle), to acknowledge receipt of your player letter designation.

All correspondence (including trade messages) should be sent to that email address, and should start with HAGGLE in the subject line. Thanks.

The game will run until all players have initiated and concluded 8 trades OR until February 28th - whichever occurs sooner.

A note on Final Scoring... don't forget that you don't have to use *all* your goods for the final scoring - you can use a subset. Scoring will be calculated by applying the 12 Rules in numerical order.

Let the trading begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Trading Information
A question came up about trading information. If you know a piece of information (1) - (12) you can give that information in a trade - but you still retain knowledge of that information, (and can trade it again in future trades).

Remember, the more information you know, the better chance you have of figuring out the best scoring. The less information your opponents know, the more they will have to guess.

lemoncamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Another Clarification
Regarding scoring: The 12 Rules will be applied to all player's final offerings regardless of whether players know what the rules are or not.

Oh, and the first couple of trades have been initiated.

colonist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
More Clarification on Final Scoring
At the final phase of the game, (after all trades are completed), each player must offer me a collection of goods from what they have available at that time. (It can be a subset, or all of them). Then for each player I will apply the 12 rules, 1 at a time, in order, against the goods that are offered, to derive that player's final score. The player with the highest final score will win.

All 12 rules will be applied whether the players have discovered them all or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rule Change
A slight change in the rules...

I have decided that it is too hard for me to keep track of who initated each trade (I'm fielding a dozen messages or more a day), so I am going to mark each player for every successful trade they participate in. I may up the count from 8 (but don't count on it).

I'll update the original Journal post to reflect this change.

lemoncamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
3 Trades completed successfully
3 Trades have been completed successfully. The following is an update for the 6 players involved:

B: coffeecoffeetobaccotobaccoindigoindigosugarcorncorncorn info-(1,2,8,10) Trades{1}
G: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccoindigoindigosugarcorncorncorn Info-(1,8,11) Trades{1}
J: coffeetobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarcorncorncorncorn Info-(3,5,10,12) Trades{1}
K: coffeecoffeetobaccotobaccosugarsugarsugarsugarcorncorn Info-(1,4,11) Trades{1}
L: coffeecoffeetobaccotobaccotobaccoindigoindigoindigocorncorn Info-(3,5,10,12) Trades{1}
N: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccoindigocorncorncorncorn Info-(1,2,8,10) Trades{1}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Nightly processing
Just a quick note to say that I am only able to process trade requests in batches every night from home. So, please be patient.

If it becomes obvious that this process is slowing everything up, I'll extend the game end deadline into March.

sugar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
3 More Trades Completed
Three more trades have been completed successfully.

Updates for the players involved are as follows:

E: tobaccotobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarsugarcorncorncorn Info-(1,5,10,11) Trades{1}
J: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccoindigosugarsugarsugarcorncorncorn Info-(3,5,10,11,12) Trades{2}
M: coffeecoffeecoffeeindigoindigoindigosugarsugarcorncorn Info-(6,7,11) Trades{1}
N: coffeecoffeecoffeetobaccotobaccoindigocorncorncorncorn Info-(1,2,5,8,10,11) Trades{2}
P: tobaccoindigoindigosugarsugarsugarcorncorncorn Info-(2,3,6,10,11) Trades{2}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Trade Offers cannot be retracted
colonist A couple of players have asked about retracting offers. Sorry, but this is not allowed. Once you have sent out an offer, it is up to the other player to decide what to do with that offer. If the player counters your offer, you can then decline the counter.

colonist I should also note that if, at the time of a trade acceptance, one or other player does not have the goods or info to honor the trade correctly, the whole trade will be voided (declined).

Hope you're having fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please respond Y/N to offers
As a reminder, if someone has made you an offer, please accept or reject it. Some of us cannot reliably make new offers if we do not know what goods we have from too many outstanding offers, so it would be appreciated if we could close out old offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Committing the same goods
In response to Ed's (and others) comments on "hostage" tactics... arrrh

Let me make more explicit what you might read between the lines of the posted rules. Offering the same good to two different players is acceptable in terms of game mechanics. But be aware that trades are completed in the order that ACCEPT emails arrive in my inbox. If both parties hold the necessary goods and information to complete the trade - the trade is successful and the inventories are updated. If one or other party cannot fulfil the accepted trade, at the time it is processed, the trade is voided (essentially converted to a DENIED trade).

But, use this strategy with care: if players start getting their trades with you voided, are they going to be willing to perform future trades with you? It's a judgement call. And it hopefully adds another level of thought to the game.

coffee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Original Post updated with Clarifications
See d10-1d10-2d10-3d10-4d10-5d10-6d10-7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would work better if you listed next to each letter how many offers made and recieved by each player. I get the feeling I'm making offers to dead players.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.