Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a copy of the Deckbuilder's Toolkit sufficient to do a winston draft and/or build a cube to draft from? It's 285 total cards (100 basic lands + 4 boosters + 125 other cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

There will be enough cards for 4 players to draft from - however there wont be enough land & the colour mix will probably be a little off...

Each Toolkit has some random content that means each one will be pointed in a different direction. I got extra red cards and the Eldrazi stuff in mine. I added a few other cards i had around to even-out the colours and have then used it for a draft (and had good fun doing it!)

It's a very nice cheep way of getting some cards and i would recommend it - I am keeping mine as a draft box but will add extra boosters now and again to keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have noted that it would at most be 3 players, more likely 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a start, and you'll have some fun with it, but it's not really sufficient to hold your interest by itself for long.

A Winston draft takes 90 cards, which means that you'll be seeing over half of the same cards every draft. The strategies will become fairly repetitive, with the same cards making it into every deck using that color. (Monocolored decks will have to use almost the same cards every time.)

That said, it's a great way to start, and very very easy to add to with cheap common/uncommon playsets off of eBay. (I got 4 of each uncommon and 500 commons from Rise of the Eldrazi for $10+shipping two weeks ago...)

The smallest cubes run 360 cards, and they are typically more carefully tuned than you're likely to have in the Deckbuilder. Again, you can make one using the Deckbuilder as a base, but you'll need to add more cards. I'd say designing a cube is a longer-term goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom. Good advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Thanks Tom. Good advice.

Wow, I didn't realize it was only $20, and can be found as cheap as $16 online. That's a fantastic way to start. Heck, 4 boosters at $3.50 each are $14 by themselves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was over-anxious to get some new cards. Standing in front of the Magic display at Newbury Comics considering spending $3.99/booster. So, for 6, that's about $24 straight up. Instead, I grabbed the Deckbuilder's toolkit for $23.

I haven't been paying attention to recent releases and I thought that leveling mechanic was pretty cool...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also mention that I have bunches of cards in Collector Binders going back to "The Dark", including Ice Age, Revised, 6th, Time Spiral, Lorwyn, and I'm sure a few other sets in there as well. So my card base is not bad to draw from.

Yes, I have interrupts....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yay. Get those cards out of binders and start working on a Cube, then! It's a great way to use old cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.