Subject: I really am crap at games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Rundkvist
Sweden
Saltsjöbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I taught three friends Hansa. They liked it and beat me soundly. Then two of them left and I taught the remaining guy Lost Cities. He liked it and beat me too. I really am crap at games. What intelligence I may have is clearly not geared toward the tactical analysis of abstract systems. But still, I like playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how a friend of mine feels...it seems like no matter how much time he studies strategies he does not win very many games. As long as your having fun...hopefully losing is not to bad for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rundkvist
Sweden
Saltsjöbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a good gamer's upbringing from a friend of mine who has been beating me pretty consistently since we were twelve. Instead of being morose when I lose, I'm pleasantly surprised when I place second or (very rarely) win a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who regularly plays games with me. He rarely wins a game but he has always said, "I always play games to win, but it is the company and social experience I enjoy, and not the winning. However, one day I will win!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Maybe you have other talents which would operate in a different game environment.

Poker requires nerve. Wargames require tactical skills and the killer instinct.

Play something non abstract. Heavily themed games hide their abstract systems under the glitz.

Fast moving games require good snap judgement. Plenty of people are excellent at planning the perfect move when they have 10 minutes, but can't pull off a half decent move given only 10 seconds to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning.
- Reiner Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Visagie
South Africa
Grahamstown
Eastern Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrund wrote:
I got a good gamer's upbringing from a friend of mine who has been beating me pretty consistently since we were twelve. Instead of being morose when I lose, I'm pleasantly surprised when I place second or (very rarely) win a game.

You sir, are someone I would personally invite to play games with me if it weren't for the geography being so inconsiderate.

jearles wrote:
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning.
- Reiner Knizia

My sentiments exactly.

I personally don't know what my winning streak is like. I play to win of course, the game wouldn't be interesting otherwise, but winning or losing means so little to me that I honestly don't know if I'm good at games or not since I don't remember the outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rundkvist
Sweden
Saltsjöbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Adrian! You're welcome to pop by my place in a Stockholm suburb! (-;

I like doing something fun with my friends. Just sitting around talking for hours with beer or tea bores me. Gaming is perfect. I host a gaming night at my house almost every weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I was 12 Years old, I have played the old Milton Bradley American Heritage game of "Battle-Cry". From 1967 'till today, I break it out every now and then to play someone. Perhaps twice a year. Through experience and a lot of losses, it is now very hard for anyone to beat me in this game.
Why? Because I know every square of the board, the probability of numbers in assembling troops for an attack, and the overall strategy for either side and where the important areas are located.
But the game's the thing not the winning. I still enjoy that game despite the circumstances and am always willing to show others how to improve.
On wargames, well, I have a large collection. I usually have to study the rules to get someone else to play and I lose most of the time, but I attribute that to having to spend all the time doing the reading and research.
With experience, I play better. Perhaps I start winning more, but time at play is more fun and it is extremely relaxing and a great idea for "getting away" from the stress of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I teach a game, I almost always lose. I love it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Being truly crap at games is surely a skill of it's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that losing consistently makes me a very popular person to play games against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
I've found that losing consistently makes me a very popular person to play games against.

Probably a tactic in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The question you need to ask is, "did you enjoy yourself?"

If not, why are you gaming?
If so, who cares about winning and losing.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm a bit less likely to win when teaching games. Not because I'm trying to throw the game, or because of the "gang up on the teacher" mentality, but because my attention is more on teaching the new people than on my own game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a double misfortune. Not only do I suck at games, but since I'm the one who organizes gaming with a bunch of friends, they are under the false impression that I spend all my time honing my skills, and so they always gang up on me. When I lose becaus of my own idiocy, they think I'm trying to trick them into thinking that I'm dumber than I am, so they just reassert their solidarity against me! I'm sure they say to themselves "surely he can't be so dumb"...little do they know it's true! But I'm okay with that.

By the way, here's a microbadge that can be worn with pride!

I suck at boardgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McFadden
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

I think that this is sometimes the best teaching strategy, honestly. Don't teach someone a new game and, in that game, stomp the tar out of them. They'll probably end up hating it. You should definitely play soundly, but it's good to pull a few punches and let the other people you're playing have a positive experience with their first play.

On the second play, however. . .devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mactheterrible wrote:
blindspot wrote:

I think that this is sometimes the best teaching strategy, honestly. Don't teach someone a new game and, in that game, stomp the tar out of them. They'll probably end up hating it. You should definitely play soundly, but it's good to pull a few punches and let the other people you're playing have a positive experience with their first play.

On the second play, however. . .devil

Honestly, I do not do it intentionally. I'm usually spending my energy managing the game. On the contrary to you assertion, I tend to think that true gamers will recognize the quality in a game more readily (if its there already) in a good *ss-whuppin. Gives them something to brood over and plot their revenge for next time. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrund wrote:
Tonight I taught three friends Hansa. They liked it and beat me soundly. Then two of them left and I taught the remaining guy Lost Cities. He liked it and beat me too. I really am crap at games. What intelligence I may have is clearly not geared toward the tactical analysis of abstract systems. But still, I like playing games.

This may be a similar condition to that which I frequently experience. I generaly lose games I teach to others; either because I concentrate so much on making sure they get the right rules I neglect my own game, or because I am crap at games. Last place is not uncommon. In our group we call this "Simons Syndrome".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i enjoy losing many a game with my group too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I'm the group's perennial loser too. Perhaps we need to form a self-help group or something.

But I like the point about it making me a more popular opponent. Always a silver lining, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a frequent game loser, I like to think that I offer the valuable service of making everyone else feel better by comparison.

I do extremely well in games of chance. Unfortunately, those are not the games favored by most of my game buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Been there, done that, got the micro badge

I love playing games, but rarely win them... Although I have an oddly good record when John Bandettini teaches me a new one ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
jond wrote:
Been there, done that, got the micro badge

I love playing games, but rarely win them... Although I have an oddly good record when John Bandettini teaches me a new one ninja

I'll try to remember that Jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
I have a double misfortune. Not only do I suck at games, but since I'm the one who organizes gaming with a bunch of friends, they are under the false impression that I spend all my time honing my skills, and so they always gang up on me.

I have exactly the same thing! Happened to me in two different cities with two different groups I started. Whenever people were wondering what sort of move to make, the general consensus was 'When in doubt, pick on Jack'.

And still I have loads of fun playing games, and mostly losing. I know there's no malice there, and it all makes for really enjoyable evenings.

Gotta get that microbadge, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.