Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a euro-type game which has a phase where players select actions followed by a phase where they take those actions - so a mechanic similar to Agricola, Stone Age, etc., though my actions are not 'worker placement', just general actions.

To get a sensible balance of actions available in a game, they have to be limited according to the number of players. Ideally, I want to show this visually, rather than it be just text on the board/in the rule book. Does anyone have a good idea for how to show this visually?

There are (at least) two types of number of player limitations. I have a solution for the 'easy' one, where more actions get made available with increased numbers of players. My solution is to show the actions visually stacked, so that, for example, the choices (let's call them A, B and C) available when three players are playing are shown (perhaps in one colour) stacked on top of the additional actions (perhaps "D" or an extra "B") available when 4 are playing (in a second colour), with the "4 player" choices stacked on top of the additional actions added for 5 players, and so on. Does anyone have a better idea/do you think this will work?

The one that I don't yet have a solution for is where the number of options that may be selected varies according to the number of players. Let's go back to our A, B, C example. Let's further assume that with 3 players, any of A. B, C may be selected, but only 1 player may make a selection from A, B and C. When 4 players are playing, A, B and C are available, but only 2 players may select from them, and the selections must be different. This is a bit like the field/love shack/tools selection in Stone Age. In that game, there is no visual indicator on the bord, so the players have to remember the restriction from a line in the rules.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Depending upon how much information is needed, either cards or small boards showing the available choices and how many from the group may be taken would seem to do the job.

So, continuing your example, picture a board with a 3 player side showing A, B, and C, with an indication along the bottom that only one may be selected. On the back is the 4 player side, showing A, B, and C, and indicating that only two total may be selected, and no more than one of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could have a player turn marker (which is quite common) but in your case you might have a player marker for each of the first number of players. So player 1 for that turn has "3 choose 1" option printed on it and would only get used for the 3 player game. In a four-player game Player 2 has "2 choose 1"...etc. Depending on the number of players in the game they would select which markers would be used during set-up. These would get rotated as the play continued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. That Vasco de Gama example is a very neat way of doing the first of my limitations, and certainly neater than the stacks that I envisioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.