Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1. What's the definition of an active fighter?

I had an RAF fighter voluntarily break off and pancake at nearest base. As luck would have it, the raid targeted that hex for its bombing. The rules say "if an active RAF fighter is on an airfield that is bombed it is immediately destroyed." [10.4 Airfields, 3rd paragraph]

I can't find a definition of "active", though. Would returning fighters be considered not active for this purpose? I would think not, but, on the other hand, active fighters wouldn't be on the ground anyway ... unless they haven't scrambled yet.....

#2. The Luftwaffe bombers have a Front Gun value of 1. What is that used for? My reading of the attack rules precludes them from attacking RAF fighters. "To begin an attack, a fighter must first select one enemy air unit as its target." So what would the bomber use its front guns for if it can't attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first question, I can see your point but I've played that a plane that has pancaked is still "active" and susceptible to a bomb raid. In the other case, as you stated, a plane could be active at an airbase but never have taken off and then would be lost on a bomb raid of that airfield.

For the second question, I believe that the bomber's number is for head-on attacks, which they can participate. I don't have the rules in front of me so not 100% sure on that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
For your first question, I can see your point but I've played that a plane that has pancaked is still "active" and susceptible to a bomb raid. In the other case, as you stated, a plane could be active at an airbase but never have taken off and then would be lost on a bomb raid of that airfield.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why the use of the word "active"? Is there such a thing, then, as an "inactive" fighter?

Phytoman wrote:
For the second question, I believe that the bomber's number is for head-on attacks, which they can participate. I don't have the rules in front of me so not 100% sure on that either.

That makes sense. I'd forgotten about head on attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you voluntarily break off and pancke at an airbase and that base gets bombed, you lose that fighter. On top of that, you roll on the bailout table for the pilot (he's diving for cover in a slit trench). Get the wrong roll on that, & you've lost your pilot, too...

cry

As for inactive fighters, they are the ones in the RAF reserve and on the calendar waiting to graduate from flight school so they can go into the RAF Reserve.

Hope that helped...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.