Antiquity» Forums » General

Subject: Some copies available rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of copies seem to have become available at Boards & Bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over $300 with some box damage... Ouch!!!

Wonder how they came across them? For $300, I wouldn't think they would be reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all from the Washington warehouse, which is closing. My guess was they found a stack buried somewhere while cleaning it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicToEat wrote:
They're all from the Washington warehouse, which is closing. My guess was they found a stack buried somewhere while cleaning it out.

Wow... $300 is just too much for the game, IMO. I'm not afraid to buy things for their worth, but $300 with damage.... yikes.

goosaurongoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect, one needs to be calibrated to Boards & Bits' sense of "damage."

For Tom & crew, "damage" means "The box is less than perfect."

I have bought "damaged" goods from Boards & Bits (that may have a small indentation in the bottom of the box or a corner that is less than perfectly square) that compare more than favourably with "undamaged" goods from other vendors (that, sadly, have arrived in far worse shape.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several copies for less than this here on the BGG marketplace. Even after shipping, you could get it cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess B&B doesn't want to close down the Washington warehouse. Or it's being sold to Troll and Toad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wow, that makes me think very poorly of B&B. I understand supply and demand and all but if these were "found" then there is no way they paid that price when they first got them. Just when I was thinking of making them my default online dealer....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
How now, that was just a guess on my part. Don't throw Tom under the bus on my speculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Wow, that makes me think very poorly of B&B. I understand supply and demand and all but if these were "found" then there is no way they paid that price when they first got them. Just when I was thinking of making them my default online dealer....

In this economy you'd expect them to throw away money by the $thousands?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I found a stack of them in my house I wouldn't feel compelled to sell them for what I paid for them. Hard to see why I would ask that of a for-profit business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that asking them to sell them for less than market value would be wrong.
However it might make more sense to at least be competitive with like new games in the marketplace selling for $200-250.
That's the only thing not making much sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dkeisen wrote:
If I found a stack of them in my house I wouldn't feel compelled to sell them for what I paid for them. Hard to see why I would ask that of a for-profit business.

I don't believe that is a valid comparison. You most likely would sell on eBay and let market price dictate and wouldn't have to worry about the loyalty of your customer base.

Like I said, I understand supply and demand and wouldn't expect them to put it out for their $80~90 price tag had they sold them when they first got them. But they are solidly 3 and close to 4 times the price they could have expected back then.

I expect this of Troll & Toad or Funagain. Not B&B and most of the other online retailers. As mentioned above, a price of $200~$250 would be more palitable and I wouldn't have thought anything of it. This game is currently OOP but most Splotter games are at any given time. Most likey this will be reprinted even if no plans to do so have been announced.

My personal opinion remains: this is a bad move on B&B's part. For those that disagree, that is fine. I'd like to see you actually pay that price then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I agree that asking them to sell them for less than market value would be wrong.
However it might make more sense to at least be competitive with like new games in the marketplace selling for $200-250.

You don't think the value of buying first-hand from a reputable retailer with customer service, order tracking, credit card processing, invoice generating, and the like is worth a premium over the second-hand market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

You don't think the value of buying first-hand from a reputable retailer with customer service, order tracking, credit card processing, invoice generating, and the like is worth a premium over the second-hand market?

Not really. Certainly not a $100 premium. Almost all the transactions I've done through the BGG marketplace have been the equal of buying from a retail source - and the few that weren't were minor hiccups, nothing major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Boats has 3 different editions, which makes me think Antiquity will eventually be reprinted as well.

I'm sure Splotter knows how much Antiquity is going for in the market and taking into account the demand before reprinting.

+$300 is just too much for a game that will likely be reprinted for $100-120 in a year or two... although I'm sure some people will buy at B&B's current prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
Roads and Boats has 3 different editions, which makes me think Antiquity will eventually be reprinted as well.

Antiquity was reprinted once already. I'm sure they're much more interested in how many years it took to sell our the second time, and thinking about how long a 3rd run would sit around sucking up their savings.

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:

I'm sure Splotter knows how much Antiquity is going for in the market and taking into account the demand before reprinting.

+$300 is just too much for a game that will likely be reprinted for $100-120 in a year or two... although I'm sure some people will buy at B&B's current prices.

Yeah, $300 is too much for me. When I can get *several* other quality games for the same price, it's really not even a choice, even with how much I'd like to have this one.

I just wish Splotter Spellen wasn't such a flaky company when it comes to this sort of thing. I seen to remember a post or statement somewhere from them some years back talking about the difficulty of reprinting some of their titles due to the piece quantity and content, and why they were few and far between - which I do understand, but it still kinda sucks. You can't count on a reprint, at least in any timely manner. The last printing of Roads and Boats was in 2003 (7 years ago), and there isn't anything coming on that anytime soon AFAWK. Are you prepared to go until 2013 or later to get this one? (I am, but if you aren't then $300 may look like a deal in another year or two).

Other things don't give me warm fuzzies either. Their latest game, Greed, Inc. doesn't even appear on their own website. I nabbed a copy last week of that (from B&B, funny enough)... who knows when we'd see a reprint of that if/when it goes OOP. Too bad I just can't wrap my head around Indonesia (just don't like the theme or the way it plays), or I'd be getting that one. Who knows what state they are even in right now. They haven't exactly had a huge output of product, reprint or otherwise in recent years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splotter make cool games. People who want those games can buy them while they are in print and for at least a year after they come out. I'm glad they make cool games.

A great many companies don't have reprints constantly churning of their games forcing me to pick up copies second hand. It's not as if Splotter are outrageously different in this respect.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnightmadness wrote:
Other things don't give me warm fuzzies either. Their latest game, Greed, Inc. doesn't even appear on their own website.

I don't think their website has been updated since 2005. Duck Dealer doesn't appear either.

They also have a game called "Bush Vs Gore" in the upcoming games section. I think that theme might be a little on the cold side by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

My personal opinion remains: this is a bad move on B&B's part. For those that disagree, that is fine. I'd like to see you actually pay that price then.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "bad move". True, they may not sell at the asking price, but they can always lower it later. And true, a few folks might be sour on them for perceived "greed", but my guess is that it won't really change too many folks' behavior in the long run.

So I guess I see it as a "good move" on B&B's part. If they sell at that price, bully for them. If they don't, they've learned something about the market and can adapt. These copies were sitting around a warehouse for a few years probably...they can afford to keep them on hand a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jasonwocky wrote:
So I guess I see it as a "good move" on B&B's part. If they sell at that price, bully for them.

Yep, and they've sold out and right smartly too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
So I guess I see it as a "good move" on B&B's part. If they sell at that price, bully for them.

Yep, and they've sold out and right smartly too.

Looks as though only one has sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ahh, they were listing as out of stock a bit a ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Ahh, they were listing as out of stock a bit a ago.

I think that was right before the other 10 copies were added to the listing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.