Popular Tags: [View All]
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Tom Wham go crazy? $219 for Battling Space Ships? Doubled from his previous $109 price. I don't know how he thinks anyone will buy anything more from him. I think this is exactly the wrong move for him in these tough times. "I'm hurting for money so I need to double all the prices for my games, which are really high in the first place."

I was going to buy this one, but this is out and out laughable. I love a lot of your games Tom, but where I could barely justify paying the exceedingly high prices of your home produced stuff before, I can not now. If you need more money, you need to lower your prices (and I mean from your before prices). If you need to save labor, have us cut the cards and pieces apart ourselves, that we can do. What we can't do is pay double the price for your games. I was going to buy both this supplement and Battling space ships, but there is no way I can do that now. I can't pay double in these times, I don't think many people will be able to either. Do everyone a favor and cut your prices and see how much more you will sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the price is $229
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - that's insane. Based on my play of the game, it isn't worth a quarter of that. Unfortunately, Galaxy Trucker pretty much fills the space this game would like to occupy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I would recind my comments is if TW is really ill and needs the money for health reasons. I might even buy it then.

My intuition told me the same thing as your experience, seems like it wouldn't be too good, but it could be. I would still love to play it. I still wish TW the best, but please reduce your prices Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the impression the unpublished games he was offering were completely hand made. As in every tile in the game being hand drawn by Tom Wham as opposed to being printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is the case, and I did not get that impression. I'm sure he makes all the tiles himself, but does not hand draw them all each time for each copy.

Also, I'm sure the he has all the printed cards for Dragon Lairds already printed because it said so on the website.

TW can charge whatever he wants, but I don't think he wants to sell too many copies with these prices. Its a shame really, but maybe he really does not want to sell that many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minionhunter wrote:
I don't think that is the case, and I did not get that impression. I'm sure he makes all the tiles himself, but does not hand draw them all each time for each copy.

Also, I'm sure the he has all the printed cards for Dragon Lairds already printed because it said so on the website.

TW can charge whatever he wants, but I don't think he wants to sell too many copies with these prices. Its a shame really, but maybe he really does not want to sell that many.

That seems more likely.... hand cutting, stickering, collating each game, I can understand the high prices. Basically, it seems like, "making these is a real pain in the behind, so I'll sell one to you if you want one, but I'm going to charge for all my labor"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However he could off load some of that labor onto his customers to help them afford the games. He even talks about how he wants the games picked up by bigger game companies, this one even though has been rejected by a couple. Keeping your games to yourself and only a few other people is not the way to get them picked up.

TW can do what he wants, he has gotten things published before, but keeping prices out of the point where most people can buy them, is not the way to make much money on them. At least in the market he is targeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the boxed games on my website are basically prototypes for game companies. I really can't make money selling them to people. But they are there for the fanatics... and I have sold a few.

If I sell one copy at $109, my net is less than 50 cents per hour invested. If I sell one at $229, I rake in something close to $1 per hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.