Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Skärnell
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Tux Cthulhu
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this game for a while now and finally decided to get it, but then I realized that there is multiple publishers. Some stores has both Z-man and Portal editions but only with Portal expansions. Is there any difference in size, colors, pieces?

I usually tend to get all expansions sooner or later for games I like. Have they switched from Portal to Z-man and future expansions will only be published by Z-man or vice versa?

Which edition or publisher can you recommend me to buy if I can choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Basically the various editions have various cosmetic differences (e.g. the designs printed on the backs of the tiles, art/design of board and counters, etc), but nothing that actually affects gameplay or intercompatibility: i.e. the hexes and tiles of various editions are all the same size, and AFAIK the rules are the same (modulo minor tweaks, rewordings, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest different is that the Z-man edition comes with player aids. These were made by a BGG user (ScottE), so are available for free in the files section. But if you buy the Z-man edition, you'll get them printed up on nice cardboard.

The player aids are excellent, and I can't imagine playing without them. So even if you get the Portal edition, I would recommend printing them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, here's a post that describes the differences in much more detail:

Differences in Portal 2nd edition and Z-Man edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Skärnell
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Tux Cthulhu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick replies! I think I'll go with the Z-man if I can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely with the zman version. you cant play this game with out that player aid! (and it comes with play advice so that new players can jump right into the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
definitely with the zman version. you cant play this game with out that player aid!

You can, I'm a good example.
cpf86 wrote:
(and it comes with play advice so that new players can jump right into the game)

Though, yes. The reference sheets are quite a help for beginning players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
cpf86 wrote:
definitely with the zman version. you cant play this game with out that player aid!

You can, I'm a good example. :P

Second :) Actually, it's the first time I've ever heard of some kind of player aids to NHex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
Though, yes. The reference sheets are quite a help for beginning players.

Not just for beginners though! The player aids tell you at a glance all of the tiles that are in your deck, and how many times they occur. This information influences my strategy all the time.

Unless by "beginner" you mean anyone who doesn't have the tiles and distribution of every army memorized, in which case, I agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
The player aids tell you at a glance all of the tiles that are in your deck, and how many times they occur.

I don't consider you an experienced player unless you tell me precisely how many Move tiles Hegemony has as soon as I wake you up at 3:30 AM on Monday after a whole evening of partying and drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.