Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a bunch of new boxes of Master of Orion II at a Half Price Books in Cincinnati. $5 each. When they have a coupon event, they'll be available for even less. If you're interested and live near a Half Price Books, call them and see if they have any in stock. I have also heard that you can call one HPB location and ask them to transfer an item to another HPB location, but I haven't tried this myself.

The catch is that apparently the game is for Windows 95. Any suggestions on how to play it on Windows XP? Is anyone here already doing so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not I - there are far better games of that genre that have since come along and made that game obsolete. Good luck with it, though - it was considerate of you to post this either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hoffmann
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy Master of Orion 1&2 bundled together for $6 at gog.com. They are upgraded to run on XP and Vista.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Littlehopeman wrote:
You can buy Master of Orion 1&2 bundled together for $6 at gog.com. They are upgraded to run on XP and Vista.

Which probably means they just include the DOSBox emulator.

The original release of the game had two executables: one for DOS and one for Windows. They both use the exact same data files. The Windows executable runs fine on WinXP, but I have never tried it on a newer version of Windows.

I would assume that any retail release would have the original DOS and Windows files included, so you could just run the DOS executable in DOSBox, if the Win95 executable doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the windows CD version of MoO2 works on Vista. (compatibility mode set for Windows NT and 640x480 resolution)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Littlehopeman wrote:

Which probably means they just include the DOSBox emulator.

Well, yes and no. Most games sold by GOG include DOSBox as a means of getting them to work on a modern PC. However, they don't 'just' include DOSBox. Games from GOG come as a self extracting archive that installs the game and configures the emulator for you. Just double click the icon and you're playing the game.

I realize this might not be a big deal for you tech-savvy people out there, but being a bit of a technophobe I always got confused when trying to make DOSBox work (getting the audio to work properly was especially daunting), so the way GOG does all the work for you is a huge boon from my perspective.

Other than that, I remember I managed to get the MoO2 CD version work on Vista a while back as well. Can't remember how I did it though. The problem was that it would crash and return to desktop each and every time I finished the game and was about to view the scoring screen. Which, needless to say, is somewhat annoying if you're trying to beat highscores... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
I can confirm that the windows CD version of MoO2 works on Vista. (compatibility mode set for Windows NT and 640x480 resolution)

Sadly, the original installer is incompatible with 64-bit Windows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Aarontu wrote:

Sadly, the original installer is incompatible with 64-bit Windows.

I seem to recall the installer not working well even on WinXP. Fortunately, you do not need to use the installer at all! Simply copy the folder from the CD to your hard drive. Then run "Moo95.exe", if I recall correctly.

I'd suggest installing the latest patch as well. Again, it is fortunate that the patch is just a zip file containing the new files. I believe the patch did include an "install", but it simply copied the files to the game directory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a bit more involved than that. The ORION95.EXE file could be coaxed to run, but it required a couple things:

1) It complained that 'dplay.dll' was missing. Solution: Go to Windows/SysWOW64, and create a copy of 'dplayx.dll' named 'dplay.dll'.
2) Complained that it could not find 'ORIONCD.INI'. Solution: create a text file with that name in the MoO2 directory. Contents are purely the path of the MoO2 directory.
3) Colors are bad, horrible, unworkable, even after forcing it into Win95 compatibility mode. Solution: Run the ORION2.EXE through DOSBox.

I think you can skip step 1, but not step 2 by going direct to the DOS version. But that's everything I did, and I wanted to see if I could get the Win95 version going first. But looks like it is not to be on an x64 system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.