Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Anyone got AH Midway Rules? Geek Gold Offered rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Nolan
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of the 1975 wargame Midway by Avalon Hill. I picked it up at a thrift store and it's in good shape but missing the Rules. I'll give 30 geek gold (that's a free avatar) to someone who'll send me (or post to the BGG game page) some copy of the rules-- hard copy, scan, complete text file, whatever. Yeah, I know there is a utility for this (and I may use it) but I am hoping for some immediate gratification.

Ground rules- the first offer of a hard copy gets first dibs. Barring that, first offer to post or scan will be accepted.

Thanks
Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Smith?
I have the Smithsonian Edition from 1991. I dont know the differences, but If everything else fails, I can make a scan for you! Just let me know!

/Jakob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hard copy
I can get a hard copy to you via fax by tomorrow or at least have it dropped in the mail by tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI different versions
The 1975 Midway (actually a reprint of the 1964 game) is a completely different game from the Smithsonian edition and the rules fom one will be of no use for the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Nolan
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold!
Thanks for the quick responses, you're all very kind. Dale Martin stepped to the fore with an offer of a hard copy. I'll PM you with my address.

Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
How different?
Quote:
The 1975 Midway (actually a reprint of the 1964 game) is a completely different game from the Smithsonian edition and the rules fom one will be of no use for the other.

Seth,

How different are the two versions ('91 vs. 64/75)? The game descriptions here on BGG seem similar. Is there a comparison article or description available somewhere? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'64 vs '91
They are really totally and completely different games. The only real similarities are they are both from AH, dealing with Midway at the individual ship level with groups of planes and a search mechanism. For example, the 64 has nothing but squares and rectangles for movement and combat, while '91 uses hexes for the same. Also, combat in '64 is done via CRTs while '91 uses a system of comparing die-rolls on ten-sided dice thrown by both attacker and defender.

I've had both and played the older version extensively, but haven't had a chance to play the '91 version beyond reading the rules and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah
What Thomas said.

The Smithsonian Midawy also has a companion game on the South Pacific carrier battles called Guadalcanal. Avalon Hill did also cover the same ground in an expansion kit for Midway called the Coral Sea variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.