Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, I received a copy of Space Hulk for my birthday. This wasn't the best timing; since it was a few months after Space Hulk's release, the genestealers got bored waiting that long and decided to vent their frustrations on the pieces. They tore the sand timer into little bits (leaving the contents covered with a fine layer of grit).

Now, I've almost never actually played Space Hulk with a timer, but for some reason I really felt like I should have the timer before playing. We did try Mission I, and then it sort of sat on hold while I tried to get GW to replace it. While they were helpful, it wound up taking around 8 months (and numerous emails). I think there may be someone at the post office snagging GW packages

Through all this time, Space Hulk sat unplayed. It defied all logic. I think it was that I kept thinking the replacement pieces (the stealers also shredded some tiles...nothing unplayable though) would be arriving very soon, so I should just wait. It became a strange mental block.

So, a few nights ago, with the timer finally here, we set up Mission II and proceeded to play. WITH the timer damnit.

Which we then proceeded to pay little or no attention to.

This will not be the case in games with more than 1 squad, but we were going through about 2 complete marine/genestealer turns in one timer flip!

That's the exact memory I have from 1st edition Space Hulk as well...the rare times when we did use a timer, it mostly slowed the game down as you had to rest it, but the marine turns always went faster than the timer did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some electronic timers online you could use and save that time. Some have cool sound effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same experience with most of my games-by the time the next Marine turn comes round, the timer hasn't finished. occasionally when a game really counts and everyone is concentration it does play a part in the game bu totherwise it usually doesn't leave the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first used my timer, I noticed that we'd gone through several turns (on Mission 2) and the sand was still half full. Then I noticed that the silly thing was just jammed. I shook it, got it started again. It continued to jam for the rest of the evening and to be generally useless. I didn't miss it, though. Things still moved quickly enough.

I considered calling GW for a replacement; based on your experience, I won't bother. If I need to instill pressure in future games, I'll use the timer on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good riddance! The timer offers an interesting aspect to the game, but in the end it's a bit of a fun blocker.

Don't get me wrong, it's great for players who enjoy a cutthroat game. But for the majority who just wanna have some fun, it's just not worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
There are some electronic timers online you could use and save that time. Some have cool sound effects.

I would suggest the online timers as well. The sound effects do seem to maybe make it feel a little more important as it starts to ping more and more as the time gets low. You can't ignore it. That's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The timer offers an interesting aspect to the game, but in the end it's a bit of a fun blocker.

I think how important a timer is depends on the people. When you've got people who play fast and are willing to play as though they were under a time limit, you don't actually need a time limit.

If someone was APing out of control...time for the timer

Quote:
I would suggest the online timers as well.

I realize this will cause shock and horror, but I have neither an iPhone or Droid or any other electronic device that would be located anywhere near our Space Hulk game.

Technologically backward, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
The timer offers an interesting aspect to the game, but in the end it's a bit of a fun blocker.

I think how important a timer is depends on the people. When you've got people who play fast and are willing to play as though they were under a time limit, you don't actually need a time limit.

If someone was APing out of control...time for the timer

Quote:
I would suggest the online timers as well.

I realize this will cause shock and horror, but I have neither an iPhone or Droid or any other electronic device that would be located anywhere near our Space Hulk game.

Technologically backward, I know.

They've also got these useful new imventioms nowadays which you can strap onto your wrist, called 'watches'. They're great, cos they mark the passing of time and you don't need to be outdoors in the sunshine, even!

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.