Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I kind of feel sorry for Amir. He's a fantastic bowler, and if he's found guilty he may well get a life ban at the age of 18, which would basically ruin his life.

I think this sort of thing goes on in all sports, we just don't normally hear about it. I also question the methods used by the News Of The World to get these stories sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Unless you punished the senior players and let him off with a temporary ban due to youth and inexperience?

That's the best he can hope for I think.

Euroncrowseve wrote:
It's like taking performance enhancing drugs - Just because these things go on doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stamp them out. And to be honest, though the methods used were of a dubious morality, they caught them and unless they turn out to have faked the video I don't see a problem with going after cheats.

Well yeah, that's the thing. As long as the News Of The World aren't themselves lying it will be seen as ok for them to carry on doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
cryolemon wrote:

Well yeah, that's the thing. As long as the News Of The World aren't themselves lying it will be seen as ok for them to carry on doing this.

I know, but if the players were honest they wouldn't be caught so easily. And to be honest it hasn't been a great surprise that it's pakistan who've been caught out- what with Kaneria being investigated, and the Sydney test, not to mention the way their cricket board (for want of a better word) operates.

Sadly it's not all that surprising given the political situation in that part of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably shouldn't call it match fixing. There is no evidence that any match has been fixed. The allegations are about the delivery of three no-balls at very specific moments of the match.

Corrupt? Yes. Betting scam? Yes. Match-fixing? Well, no - those three balls did not decide the game - although they do call into question the general commitment of the Pakistan team.

Pakistan must drop Aamir, Asif and Butt for the Twenty20s and the ODIs in order to maintain any respectability. They have had questions raised over their players (both internationally and in domestic competitions) for well over a decade. The Pakistani cricket authorities are just not strong enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
There's a section where they mention an intention to try and rig some of the ODI's, and to be honest even spot fixing should count as match rigging- you're dictating what the course of the match will be in a certain passage of play.

To be honest, it seems likely that Wahab Riaz, Umar Amin and a few others will have to go as well. Which doesn't bode well for the team keeping its test status, as once the mohammeds go they don't have any international quality players.

I can't see Pakistan being stripped of it's test status, even temporarily. It's possible I suppose though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.