Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse of what I normally do, I was enticed by the miniatures and reviews here and bought into the game, but I am ordering the rulebook online (didn't have one at the FLGS). From some reviews I've heard its unorganized and large, and errata'd. I'm mainly worried about teaching my girlfriend, she really liks the theme of the game, but I don't want it to be overwhelming due to poor/disoriganized rules, because from what I understand the game itself is actually not that complicated. Is all that true, and is there a 2nd edition of the rules coming out? Also, how much does the expansion add?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion rule book doesn't really add many rules, just how to handle the new unit type of henchmen. They are not currently planning on a 2nd edition of the core rule book.

The core rule book is a mess in my opinion in regards to the FAQ/Errata for it.

Now, having said that, I can say that I read through the book and played many games before the giant FAQ/Errata for it came out. The game play is fairly smooth and the game mechanics are simple. The only complication comes from trying to remember all of the special powers on your models.

I don't think playing with your girlfriend should be a problem using the base rule book and cards. Just ignore the FAQ/Errata, it is mostly needed for tournament type situations where people need to have an exact answer and/or love to argue about stuff. The rules are simple and functional for fun play as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats fortunate, I might still check out the FAQ for clarity, but if its just remembering stats, the more we play the better, so thats not a huge problem. I was just worried about teachability, and that seems fine.

One thing about the Errata/FAQs, do they actually change text on abilities, rules or other information on the character cards? That is something I'd be quite interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
Rob also created a nice help document located in the file section which we used when playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Rob also created a nice help document located in the file section which we used when playing it.

That will be most useful. Not sure what all the references are yet, but I should be getting the rulebook soon, thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
Thats fortunate, I might still check out the FAQ for clarity, but if its just remembering stats, the more we play the better, so thats not a huge problem. I was just worried about teachability, and that seems fine.

One thing about the Errata/FAQs, do they actually change text on abilities, rules or other information on the character cards? That is something I'd be quite interested in.

Yes, and that is what makes them a mess. Of course most of it is clarification, but there are a number of things that did get rewritten or changed around. Nothing so big as it is a completely different rule, but sometimes a key restriction was either added or removed. For example, the 'leap' ability. As written, it lets you jump to anywhere within your movement distance. The errata to it says you can now not jump out of close combat, which is a huge difference in how you play it.

The rule book had an entire page re-written for movement and quite a few other big changes.

Again, though, nothing doesn't work as written. I would recommend just ignoring the faq/errata unless there is something that is just very confusing to you on how to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
Weapon wrote:
That will be most useful. Not sure what all the references are yet, but I should be getting the rulebook soon, thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. I can't believe Rob didn't pimp his own stuff! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ya, I guess I didn't know if it was up to date with any new errata/faq since the last time I made it. But it still should be very useful during a game. It has pretty much everything you could need to know while playing. Thanks for pointing that reference out, Bobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
RangerRob wrote:
Thanks for pointing that reference out, Bobby.

It's the least I can do since my Nephilim eat your dudes so easily... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.