Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Local Store Closing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The oldest local gamestore is closing due to retirement, The newpaper said he couldn't compete with the internet, but the sign on the front door says he's retiring for health reasons. Pretty sad either way.

In either case, everything goes to 50% off retail on the 15th. The store has an extensive collection of OOP war games, and I was thinking of buying about $1000 worth of games. The wife is ok with that as long as I promised to sell off some of them when I'm done since game storage space is pretty low around here. I thought I might sell a bunch of stuff I haven't played recently also.

I even consider buying the ASL stuff I'll never play and resell it hopefully for a small profit. There is a huge selection on Euro games as well, so that's a consideration as well.

This led me to wonder what kind of mark up is there in these games? IS 50% off retail anywhere near the wholesale cost of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
below
I used to work in the book trade and based on that and on reading, for example MMP's trade newsletter, I would bet that 50% is below wholesale for most games and at wholesale for some.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my uncle owns a game store, and he marks everything up 110% from what it costs him to buy. He doesn't buy straight from the publisher though, so the actual wholesale markup might be even higher. that said, 50% off retail would be almost cost for my uncle's store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, its a shame to hear the news...for either reason. (Although I think the issue of the internet vendors crosses many industries.) I wonder if competing with the internet is bad for your health?

Are there any unusual OOP Euros that might be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Petty
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
RESEARCH!
you have tonight and tommorrow to do some research, if you are buying for resale you really need to be sure you don't just break even (and have to work for weeks to just get your money back!)

I would strongly suggest doing a completed items search on ebay, I know someone that does that every few weeks for stereos and he carries the printout around with him (or if you have a laptop you could save the completed items pages offline to reference in the shop). I would probably do a completed items search on the entire wargames category. A lot of stuff just doesn't sell anywhere so you need to be as choosy as possible because 50% off is not that cheap (40% off for an online retailer is not unheard of so that should give you an idea of how low the margin is on some current products). Also MMP is still blowing out some of their historical modules (blood reef tarawa is only $20 right now, down from $55, and several other of their modules are only $15 down from $40). So be sure you have a clear idea of what you are buying and what the going rate is (don't forget too that even though something sells for $50 one week on ebay you might see it go for $10 a week later....case in point, I put a sealed avalon hill d-day on ebay for $20, this was the smithsonian edition, no bids, reposted if for $10 and got $80!, now you can't get anywhere near that price), so do some research and be cautious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some tips on what I would do
1. Don't go into debt speculating if you're not sure.
2. Avoid Avalanche and Decision games titles in general.
3. Buy the items that are generally more than $20 before the discount.
4. Pick up anything you might be remotely interested in.
5. Pick up anything that's really popular (top 100) here.
6. ASL good SFB not so good.
7. Pick up Avalon Hill titles - pre and post Hasbro.
8. Pick up anything that says "Made in Germany"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and avoid Global Survival if you see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked into setting up my own retail boardgame company in Australia, importing from the US, and therefore I can say with some experience behind me that in both the US and Oz the recommended retail price is in almost all cases marginally under double the wholesale price for the majority of games. Therefore, on the surface, your 50% discount is a pretty good deal. Many game shops, especially on the Internet, however, are selling at quite a bit tighter margins.

Of course, OOP games have their own economy so you're not necessarily going to clean up. Some games are OOP for a very good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The oldest local gamestore is closing due to retirement, The newpaper said he couldn't compete with the internet, but the sign on the front door says he's retiring for health reasons. Pretty sad either way.

In either case, everything goes to 50% off retail on the 15th. The store has an extensive collection of OOP war games, and I was thinking of buying about $1000 worth of games. The wife is ok with that as long as I promised to sell off some of them when I'm done since game storage space is pretty low around here. I thought I might sell a bunch of stuff I haven't played recently also.

to those who aren't aware.. or didnt see the post a few days ago.. The store that is closing is "Napoleons", and is located on the East side of Milwaukee. I live in Minnesota now, but used to frequent the place in college.. man.. I wish I could get over there to check out the deals!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll see ya Tuesday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I'll be heading there right after work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.