7 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Get the base game or Wait for FFG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Would it be better when opportunity arise to get the original base game or to wait it out for FFG to release a new one ?

Would it be possible that the new release by FFG be somewhat incompatible in some way or another with the base game?

One thought thats been on my mind since this whole issue arise is that does FFG plan to re release the base set but with less component e.g miniatures and more post-buy work e.g sticking on the flags

or

Are they going to release faction set like horrible hordes ? If they do so how are new players going to get the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven O'Shea
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody knows for sure what FFG is doing, so your guess is as good as anyone's. I think I would purchase the base set from DOW if I were you. Assuming you can get it for a reasonable price. FFG has made it clear that they would be unable to reproduce the base set at the same cost, so they would cut back somewhere. Most likely in the number of minis and packaging them separate from their bases.
I really liked the fact that the base set pretty much came ready to play (I can't remember if I had to put stickers on flags or not). The only issue you may have is many of the minis do come bent and it takes a little time and effort to straighten them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the base game while you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
djay16 wrote:
Would it be better when opportunity arise to get the original base game or to wait it out for FFG to release a new one ?

Depends on the price (per oshfarms above). If it's reasonable, buy it now. It will probably come with more stuff than any FFG reprint.

djay16 wrote:
Would it be possible that the new release by FFG be somewhat incompatible in some way or another with the base game?

I doubt it would be incompatible in any way, so I wouldn't worry about that at all (if you'd rather wait for FFG).

djay16 wrote:
One thought thats been on my mind since this whole issue arise is that does FFG plan to re release the base set but with less component e.g miniatures and more post-buy work e.g sticking on the flags

Probably yes: less components and more labor (based on FFG's expansion releases).

djay16 wrote:
Are they going to release faction set like horrible hordes ? If they do so how are new players going to get the board?

I believe they will release more "faction" expansions. But at some point they will have to make the core components (incl. board) available again. This I think is the big challenge for them. How to package and market this without a) alienating fans, and b) taking it in the shorts (which is not really fair to expect them to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find the DoW version at a reasonable price, buy it. The FFG version {WHEN is released, if ever} won't have the same content. It's going to be worse.

Of course as a company they want to make money so I fully expect to see something new with the FFG base game in order to make the owners of the older version jealous and the new players eager to buy it. But I also expect if this the case that they will make any new components available as extras so that veteran BL gamers won't have to buy a new base game.

In short, buy DOW version unless you are going to need a loan to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Johnson
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oshfarms wrote:
Nobody knows for sure what FFG is doing, so your guess is as good as anyone's. I think I would purchase the base set from DOW if I were you. Assuming you can get it for a reasonable price. FFG has made it clear that they would be unable to reproduce the base set at the same cost, so they would cut back somewhere. Most likely in the number of minis and packaging them separate from their bases.
I really liked the fact that the base set pretty much came ready to play (I can't remember if I had to put stickers on flags or not). The only issue you may have is many of the minis do come bent and it takes a little time and effort to straighten them out.

You were correct, it was fully ready to play. I can tell because I would have done a horrible job putting on all those stickers on the flags and would have remembered cursing up a storm. If FFG does release it again, I am sure the new owners will have that 'mispleasure'

I read a great technique for fixing bent minis here..place them in very hot to near boiling water. Take them out and they will be much more pliable and easy to stand back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Griffin_IV wrote:

I read a great technique for fixing bent minis here..place them in very hot to near boiling water. Take them out and they will be much more pliable and easy to stand back up.

After you take the mini out of the hot water {with a spoon preferably} you should immediately submerge it in cold water after fixing its position first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.