BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What Games to choose for a Charity Boardgames Day? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going to ask the great wide masses (of possibly unwashed) boardgamers here on BGG their opinion on:

#1 What boardgames would you want to play in a friendly, social sort of tournament or competition that would occur on JUST ONE DAY (maybe from 10am to 6pm).

#2 Do you have any advice on the sort of tournaments to run? (Round Robin League, Knockout, Random Rounds + Top-Player Final)

I'm thinking of games like:
Bloodbowl
Carcassonne
Race for the Galaxy
V:TES
Puerto Rico (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this day for experianced gamers (like a mini-con), or non-gamers (to try out the hobby)?
Makes a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Random Rounds + Top-Player Final is a good choice, because you can not be eliminated too soon, but all can watch and see ho will win in the end, not just a score is announced in the end.

I´d say, not to heavy games with some luck would fit good. Further, they should not last too long. I´d say 15-20 min., maybe 30
Furter the rules should be verry short, so it can be explained without wasteing a lot of time.

Blokus for example would fit verry good.
Further i´d recommend my Topology.

Some more Ideas:

Clans
Ticket to Ride (reduce the final score needed to make it shorter)
Trump, Tricks, Game!
Carcassonne (also make it shorter)
Don Quixote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It's supposed to be accessible by lots of people, so it would be good to have some "newbie friendly" games in the mix (especially if some of the Older Sorts bring their Younger Sorts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juggernaut1981 wrote:
It's supposed to be accessible by lots of people, so it would be good to have some "newbie friendly" games in the mix (especially if some of the Older Sorts bring their Younger Sorts)

In which case, off the top of my head: Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Gheos, Genesis, Through the Desert, Settlers of Catan...

Probably pleanty more I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, but, in a choice between two similar games, one better but weighted a 3 or more than 90 minutes (Although 60 is preferable), the other still enjoyable but weighted around 2 or under 60 minutes - For that sort of audience I'd go for the shorter or lighter game every single time (I'd pin the absolute limits at weight < 2.5, length < 90 minutes, rating > 6 if searching the Geek for games to use, myself), though obviously lighter, shorter, better games are - With most priority to lighter and least to better. If organizing where newbies will be playing, easy to grok is better than great, and a 6 on the Geek is about 2 better than what the average non-gamer thinks of when it comes to boardgames, so should be good enough to act as an appetizer (Individual tastes vary, obviously), and I'd structure it to have a variety of mechanics and styles of game - Also having very light stuff that people can pick up if they're game finishes early and play for fun while the current round finishes would probably be an idea.

Random match or a round robin league rather than anything knock out is the way to go, I think - Keep people able to play throughout.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.