Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my experience with avoiding Hitler's mistake: not diverting Army Group Central troops to the south in 1941.
My strategy in this game was simple: take out two major targets first:
Moscow, with its large "3" worker unit and railroad grid position, and Leningrad as the gateway to Archangel, which is the source of a significant replacement rate for the Soviets. While the oil fields are important, by being careful with armor usage the Axis can wait for a while before it needs that source of armor replacement.

The German "drang nach Osten" was aided by very fortuitous weather die rolls which provided clear weather in September and Light Mud in November. This allowed a capture of Leningrad in November with the one allowed stuka attack and Finnish support from the north. So by the time the winter snows arrived, the Axis winter line in the north was anchored by Leningrad, Vitebsk, and Smolensk. Unfortunately, with the emphasis in the north, Kiev was still in Soviet hands, although south of that point the Axis managed to secure Odessa and the Dnepr river line.

The Soviets chose two locations for their winter assault: directly west from Kiev with their larger but standard (impulse one move only) infantry units, and with a thrust north against Smolensk from the south, with the aim of cutting off troops poised to attack Moscow in the following summer. The Kiev assault was successful at causing Axis casualties and pushing the line back due to the winter combat strength reductions of the Axis units in the area, although south of that point the Dnepr river line was left unmolested. An attempt to occupty Dnerpropetrovsk failed. The battle south of Smolensk witnessed some poor die rolling by the Soviets and only accomplished several "DR" results with no Axis casualties. In the meanwhile, Army Group North continued marching east with Finnish help, pushing back the Soviets. They arrived at Archangel in the summer of '42 and occupied the city with the aid of a stuka attack. By the fall, there were no more Archangel die rolls.

March brought mud, so the next significant Axis moves were in May. The target was Moscow, which fell in a stuka attack in July. September brought light mud, which caused the Axis to prepare a winter line around Moscow that would ensure a full combat strength defense and no "soak off" possibilities with any weak stacks near Moscow. Bryansk was added to the winter line which aided in the retention of Moscow during the second winter. Meanwhile, in the south, a stuka attack occuped Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk was taken without the need of a stuka attack. Stalino was taken with a stuka attack in July, and it became the "winter anchor" during the winter of '42/'43, along with Kursk. Meanwhile, the Soviets continued there build up from east of Moscow to Kursk as the focus of their next winter counterattack. Good placement of covering troops in the rear of the Axis lines prevented any effective use of Soviet airborne troops during the winter. Axis casualites were much heavier during the second winter due to better Soviet die rolling and a much stronger order of battle. However, with a strong winter line, most Axis units fought at full strength and were able to inflict Soviet casualties as well.. And with the loss of 5 replacement factors in Leningrad and Moscow, along with the loss of worker units in Kiev and Stalino AND the elimination of the Archangel die roll, it was more difficult for the Soviets to replace those losses.

When the clear weather arrived in May 1943, the Axis made a major shift in focus. With Moscow secure, it was now time to go for the oil fields.
The German armor from Army Group Center moved south via land and rail and all the SS units were shipped by rail to the south (finding a path around the pesky partisan counters that were set up to avoid shipping them to the center where the concentration of Soviet armor and guards were deployed). Army Group South was able to take Rostov with a stuka attack and the second impulse saw the SS units blast through the weak rear units. This allowed the July turn to stuka the oilfield at PP13 (it had an 8-6 armored unit stationed there) and deploy strong forces immediately west of Stalingrad and a task force that secured the second Caucasian oil field. The remaining units in Army Group Central, reinforced by the units arriving from the successful Army Group North were able to renew their attack from Kursk to Voronezh (which is where Stalin had relocated when he abandoned Moscow). Unfortunately, the fall '43 weather intervened with mud in September and snow in November, so the offensive bogged down and gave the Soviets a chance to regroup. They did an airdrop near Stalingrad ooordinated with ground counter attacks which forced several German armored units to be eliminated during retreats. However the possession of three oil fields allowed the strongest units to return in the spring of '44 and they assisted in the capture of Voroneszh while Stalingrad was cordoned off by a strong seige force. Voroneszh fell in May of 1944, forcing a Soviet surrender.

Axis troops were then redeployed to the Western Front in time for a MUCH stronger "Battle of the Bulge" in the fall of 1944 which really did capture Antwerp, resulting in the capture of many of the British troops to the north and the beating back of Patton's strong counter attack. The front in Italy was also reinforced, allowing the Gothic Line to hold against all Allied assaults. With the new sources of Soviet oil coupled with the captured Soviet factories that were safe from Allied bombing, no "unconditional surrender" would be forthcoming from Germany...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallracer333 wrote:
With the new sources of Soviet oil coupled with the captured Soviet factories that were safe from Allied bombing, no "unconditional surrender" would be forthcoming from Germany...

That was, until 8:38 AM local time, August 8th, 1945, when, a minute after a lone American B-29 released a single warhead from its modified bomb bay, the sky above Berlin was illuminated by what survivors called "eine zweite Sonne", or "a second Sun".

Perhaps the German people should be happy that their real-life generals weren't as successful as you in defeating the Red horde!

Good session report!
thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
That was, until 8:38 AM local time, August 8th, 1945, when, a minute after a lone American B-29 released a single warhead from its modified bomb bay, the sky above Berlin was illuminated by what survivors called "eine zweite Sonne", or "a second Sun".

Good point, but even though that should be "ein zweiter Sonne," it was obviously beyond the scope of my session report. lol
But seriously, I doubt that Berlin would have been a nuclear target.
The two targets in Japan were chosen for specific reasons. I suspect two German cities would have been picked as well. (But not Dresden since that had already been wiped out in an earlier bombing raid.)

By the way, since your handle is the "Desert Fox" you should check out a session report I just filed for a game of Air Assault on Crete. It should make the Desert Fox smile.

Mit vielen Grüßen!
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up, thanks!

On a sidenote:
tallracer333 wrote:
But seriously, I doubt that Berlin would have been a nuclear target.
I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe in some grognard post here on the Geek, I can't refind it) that Berlin was the original intented target for the first nuclear attack, but due to the ending of the war on the European theatre, focus shifted towards Japan. Can anyone confirm that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like your ending better......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
[i]That was, until 8:38 AM local time, August 8th, 1945, when, a minute after a lone American B-29 released a single warhead from its modified bomb bay, the sky above Berlin was illuminated by what survivors called "eine zweite Sonne", or "a second Sun".

Actually, since this is my thread, I can end it any way I want.
And I have decided that by August '45 the Luftwaffe had deployed enough jet fighters that a B-29s would have a tough time flying over German airspace. So the Enola Gay was shot down. Pfllllbbbbttttt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Durrell
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Recount. Interesting to me because I am playing a game now where the German is following a similar strategy. It is going to be the first clear weather 1942 turn, and Leningrad is a mess, has been breifly breeched, but has not yet fallen. Hopefully it will next turn. The Germans had to pull back from Moscow for the winter, and established a line in the Smolensk area, which kept them free from Russian winter counter attack. The Russian line looks more intimidating now with the winter reinforcements and Guard units, but we'll see what the Panzercorps and two Stukas can do to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
Best TRC session report I've read.

I'm soloing my first game of this in 23 years, and I'm taking a snapshot of the map at the end of every turn, and recording a short description on my smartphone. I will post the first 6 turns (1 year, game time) as soon as I post this message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.