Subject: Arkham Horror vs Fury of Dracula rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played AH for the first time with my current gaming group (two of us played it half a dozen times earlier). The newbie ones was not familiar with the Cthulhu myth and haven’t even heard of H.P.L. before (which is a shame IMHO). Our session was a bit messy, I had to check on the rules several times (last time I played the game was a year ago), we got tough enemies (a single Flying Polyp slaughtered three of us within two turns) and additionally we were pretty unlucky with dice rolls. You might not be surprised to hear that we lost the game. One of the newbie AH players was disappointed to the point of reconsidering his planned purchase of Fury of Dracula which seems to be quite similar to AH to him.

The problem is that I only know AH but I’ve never played FoD before. Are these games really similar to each other? What are the differences between them? I want him to make a good decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Rest assured, that there is no realtion at all. Fury and Arkham are very different games.
In which areas exactly do you fear these games are similar to each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No relation really except a few cosmetics things like cards and events.

FoD has a clear winner as it is team play. It is a game of hide and seek more similare to Scotland Yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I’ve only played Arkham Horror once and it wasn’t completed as it was a bad set-up – too many players and too many of them (myself included) were newbies so the game dragged unnecessarily. I do want to give it another try when I get a chance at a better situation.

I know Fury of Dracula fairly well, I own a copy and I’ve played it seven or eight times. Based on the little bit of play I’ve had with AH, I’d agree with the comments here that these are two VERY different games.

First, AH is a true co-op, FoD is competitive with a team of up to four Hunter players facing off against one Dracula player. In my little bit of experience, AH has a lot of set-up and lots of pieces to keep track of. FoD is about average in both of these areas. You can have FoD set-up and ready to play about 5-10 minutes after opening the box. There are some tokens used to track a few different items on the board, and various decks of cards, and there is overall, much less to keep track of.

As to length of play, I believe FoD comes out shorter, though it can vary by quite a bit. The fastest I’ve seen it finish is about 2 hours, with around 3 being fairly typical and 4 (maybe 5) on the outside. As I said I haven’t played a full game of AH, but I’d guess that 4 is about the shortest it’s likely to play.

Again, I’d say these are very different games. FoD does have a few fiddly elements, but not to anywhere near the same level as AH. It can occasionally drag out (primarily if Dracula is simultaneously very good at evading detection and has a hard time scoring points) but should almost always play faster than AH. I’d suggest picking out a few reviews of FoD on the boards here, positive and negative and trying to get a feel for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fred Obedoza
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're dissimilar games but I find that they both cater to the same set of ameritrash lovers. If you like one of the games (AH or FoD), you'd like the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
yamasaki wrote:
They're dissimilar games but I find that they both cater to the same set of ameritrash lovers. If you like one of the games (AH or FoD), you'd like the other.

Not always true. Some people only like cooperative/solo play available in AH. FoD is a competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably you need to spent another session in order to give your players a more clear (better!) opinion about Arkham Horror.

Apart the fact that Fury of Dracula is totally different from AH (game flow, mechanics and storyline/ambiance, can't remember the exact english word sorry), rest assured that some mistakes you've made is totally understandable (for going up and down with rule checking etc, probably it's always better to refresh rules prior any session, just in case) and even if you have bad luck on dice throws (really? Arkham Horror probably it's the most punishing game about "bad throws", but after all it's one of the core features - we'll struggle to survive against weird situations...!), I may surely suggest you to give another try, it will probably be a more funnier session... In Arkham Horror not one game can be compared to any previous experience - there will be always too much different things and outcomes, and if you really team up, it's not impossible even to reach a decent win against the Ancient One you picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blekk42 wrote:
Yesterday we played AH for the first time with my current gaming group (two of us played it half a dozen times earlier). The newbie ones was not familiar with the Cthulhu myth and haven’t even heard of H.P.L. before (which is a shame IMHO). Our session was a bit messy, I had to check on the rules several times (last time I played the game was a year ago), we got tough enemies (a single Flying Polyp slaughtered three of us within two turns) and additionally we were pretty unlucky with dice rolls. You might not be surprised to hear that we lost the game. One of the newbie AH players was disappointed to the point of reconsidering his planned purchase of Fury of Dracula which seems to be quite similar to AH to him.

The problem is that I only know AH but I’ve never played FoD before. Are these games really similar to each other? What are the differences between them? I want him to make a good decision.

To cancel the buying of FoD because a bad experience of AH is like you will never buy a car because you had a bad experience when you traveled on a public transport bus. Both are a vehicle but the similarities end here.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I’m planning to play more AH session with my recent group, but as a father of a 1 yr old bad sleeper girl I rarely have more than 2-3 hours to play so nowadays we prefer Last Night on Earth because it plays faster.

So you all say these are completely different games. Good to know. TBH I had a glimpse of the FoD image gallery and dipped into a few reviews but they seem to have some similarities:

- co-op or at least semi co-op games which is almost the same in my book as we are RGP players and we play semi co-op games (like Descent) in a less competitive way
- investigators with special skills are running all around the map battling the minions of the big bad guy
- lots of bits and pieces, cards, and dice rolling.

These are common things in these games, aren't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, but those are common things in lots of games. Especially that last point when you are comparing to FFG games.

I am involved in two PBF games right now - one is about to end of FoD and the other is about to start up of AH. You can check them both out and see how they play. You will see they really aren't the same.

Fury of Dracula PBF Game!
Arkham Horror PBF Game 3 - In the Public Eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:

To cancel the buying of FoD because a bad experience of AH is like you will never buy a car because you had a bad experience when you traveled on a public transport bus. Both are a vehicle but the similarities end here.shake

I'd rather say this bad experience made him hesitate but I think he'll buy FoD.

As you well know there is not a wide range of co-op (or semi co-op) Ameritrash games published in Hungarian and unfortunately most of my gaming buddies (including him) aren't particularly good at English. Therefore we have limited choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blekk42 wrote:
they seem to have some similarities:

- co-op or at least semi co-op games which is almost the same in my book as we are RGP players and we play semi co-op games (like Descent) in a less competitive way

I can see how Descent can be played in a less than competitive way, but in Fury of Dracula, the Dracula player is tasked with running away from the Hunters, not with providing them a roleplaying or combat experience.

Quote:
- investigators with special skills are running all around the map battling the minions of the big bad guy

In Fury of Dracula, the Hunters are chasing solely after Dracula. They would prefer to avoid encounters and minions (with the exception of Vampire Brides, for whom there is no combat anyway).

Quote:
- lots of bits and pieces, cards, and dice rolling.

Risk and Monopoly also have lots of bits and pieces, cards, and dice rolling. Most turns in Fury of Dracula will involve no pieces outside of the player's miniature, minimal -- if any -- card play, and a maximum of one die roll (for Hunter train movement).

That said, both Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula are big FFG games with heavy gothic/horror themes, somewhat complicated gameplay, and two hour+ playtime. If those features turned you off from one, then they'll likely turn you off from the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
emagius wrote:

That said, both Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula are big FFG games with heavy gothic/horror themes, somewhat complicated gameplay, and two hour+ playtime. If those features turned you off from one, then they'll likely turn you off from the other.

But these are such common traits among games that it is unfair to compare them based solely on those traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emagius wrote:
...Risk and Monopoly also have lots of bits and pieces, cards, and dice rolling. Most turns in Fury of Dracula will involve no pieces outside of the player's miniature, minimal -- if any -- card play, and a maximum of one die roll (for Hunter train movement).

I see. Thank you for highlighting these things! To make things clear, I thought they are quite different games, but wasn't sure about the differences.

emagius wrote:

So if I get it right, in a certain way they are similar indeed :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blekk42 wrote:
emagius wrote:
...Risk and Monopoly also have lots of bits and pieces, cards, and dice rolling. Most turns in Fury of Dracula will involve no pieces outside of the player's miniature, minimal -- if any -- card play, and a maximum of one die roll (for Hunter train movement).

I see. Thank you for highlighting these things! To make things clear, I thought they are quite different games, but wasn't sure about the differences.

emagius wrote:

So if I get it right, in a certain way they are similar indeed :-)

Not in any way that merits being compared. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing: in the US at least, Fury of Dracula is out of print and not widely available. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just in case you didn't know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be so quick to dismiss AH after on session. Hell it took my group and i easily 5 games before we played it exactly right and everything we did wrong in each session made a huge impact on the game.

Grats on finding a copy of Fury and definetly get the game. It still amazes me how far under the radar fury flies with gamers. It's just a fun game all around like Scotland yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also agree that they are not remotely the same game, but they are both great. Drac is generally faster and the rules are a little easier. Arkham is great, but for newbies it can be a chore.

If you ever manage to get Arkham on the table again, I would study up on the rules beforehand, play the game at your house so it will already be set up when everyone arrives, and download a cheat sheet here on the geek. It will save you tons of time. If you still can't find a rule, whatever is worse for the investigator is probably what you should do.

A variant that might help is possibly giving a couple extra dollars to each player, or setting up the monster cup with 1 health monsters while the doom track is on the first row, then adding the 2 and/or 3 health beasties after that.

Your group may never really like the game (no game is for everyone) but maybe a second try will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
One other thing: in the US at least, Fury of Dracula is out of print and not widely available. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just in case you didn't know...

he is planning to buy the Hungarian edition which is fortunately still available

Kaleljorson7 wrote:
If you ever manage to get Arkham on the table again, I would study up on the rules beforehand, play the game at your house so it will already be set up when everyone arrives

I would have done exactly the same but I was prepared to play Last Night on Earth but one of my gaming buddies suggested to play AH instead of LNoE.

Kaleljorson7 wrote:
If you still can't find a rule, whatever is worse for the investigator is probably what you should do.

He-he. You hit the nail on the head.

Kaleljorson7 wrote:
setting up the monster cup with 1 health monsters while the doom track is on the first row, then adding the 2 and/or 3 health beasties after that.

I like this idea. We might try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.