Popular Tags: [View All]
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this game a member of the Mask trilogy - when it clearly isn't part of the trilogy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Why is this game a member of the Mask trilogy - when it clearly isn't part of the trilogy?

Why is it clearly not part of the trilogy? If it's just b/c of the definition of a trilogy - well you've heard of the Hitchiker's Guide, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

Why is it clearly not part of the trilogy? If it's just b/c of the definition of a trilogy - well you've heard of the Hitchiker's Guide, right?

Because the Mask Quadrilogy (I count Torres despite the lack of thematic mask art) is defined by the Action Point menu and this title doesn't have that? To me, that is the defining characteristic that unifies those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of games use action points, but that doesn't make them part of a trilogy.
Not even Torres.

The MASK trilogy contains - as the name suggest - 3 games all featuring a mask on the box cover. These games were all designed as a series.

The new game use a unique action system defined by the KRAMER-TRACK, but not by action-points as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's call it "Mask EXTENDED Trilogy" goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also a Trilogy, that there are 6 books does not change that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also a Trilogy, that there are 6 books does not change that

I'd argue that Book 6 by Eoin Colfer isn't part of the trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Malaysia
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought would be that it is a direct sequel to one of the original trilogy games... and thus in the same "family" as the Mask Trilogy, but not part of the actual Trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escher26 wrote:
My thought would be that it is a direct sequel to one of the original trilogy games...
But it isn't. It's a completely different game that has been applied the title for marketing reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
But it isn't. It's a completely different game that has been applied the title for marketing reasons.

I disagree. Even if the mechanisms are indeed very different, the theme and therefore the atmosphere remains the same.

You still feel like you are an explorer who, instead of exploring the jungle in search for temples, is exploring one of these temples.

So yes, it is a sequel. And theme-wise, Tikal II is much closer to Tikal than Mexica or Java.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
So yes, it is a sequel. And theme-wise, Tikal II is much closer to Tikal than Mexica or Java.
This is true. And the great thing about the trilogy was that the 3 games were so different.

However, when I played the prototype, I didn't once think: "Wow this is like Tikal".
I thought: "Wow. This is nice variant on the dungeon search theme."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
I thought: "Wow. This is nice variant on the dungeon search theme."

So, would you consider this to be a "sorta, kinda" dungeon crawling game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eikka wrote:
No, not really. It is more like an area control feeling where you try to place yourself in rooms that will lock out the opponents from getting through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
eikka wrote:
No, not really. It is more like an area control feeling where you try to place yourself in rooms that will lock out the opponents from getting through.

So, what role does the exploration have in the game? Is it only thematic or does the exploration and discovery have some tactical/strategic importance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eikka wrote:
So, what role does the exploration have in the game? Is it only thematic or does the exploration and discovery have some tactical/strategic importance?
Absolutely. It is an area control game at heart, where you need to hold a number of rooms in order to score and gain certain items - which you will need to progress further. It is still an abstracted German game, and not a themerich US game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.