Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is fire from squares limited to adjacent hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, firing is limited to three non-contiguous adjacent hexes for infantry and artillery in the square, as per the diagram in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, a caveat however. Artillery firing from a square is not limited to adjacent hexes, but its fire value is divided by three per the usual square fire procedure, and its shot path must be into three non-contiguous adjacent hexes.

Example: A square containing unlimbered artillery sits isolated with no enemy or friendly units adjacent to it. The infantry thus does not have any targets it can reach or attack, but the artilery may, and may make up to three separate attacks so long as the first hex of each shot path originating from the square is not adjacent to a hex containing the shot path of one of the other attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for stopping by, Ed! How's my fielding average?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blunderbuss wrote:
Hmmm, a caveat however. Artillery firing from a square is not limited to adjacent hexes, but its fire value is divided by three per the usual square fire procedure, and its shot path must be into three non-contiguous adjacent hexes.

Example: A square containing unlimbered artillery sits isolated with no enemy or friendly units adjacent to it. The infantry thus does not have any targets it can reach or attack, but the artilery may, and may make up to three separate attacks so long as the first hex of each shot path originating from the square is not adjacent to a hex containing the shot path of one of the other attacks.

If the infantry don't fire and the artillery fires at a single unit, is it then divided by two instead of three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is stretching it a little. However, because the rules state the square can make three separate attacks from each non-contiguous point of the triangle, I'd have to rule in the negative, since you cannot make two fire attacks on a single target in a single fire phase (op. fire the exception, of course).

Rationale: When artillery was in a square of infantry it was placed at the right angles (corners) of the square (bolstering the square's most vulnerable points). So, imagine an eight gun battery thus divided into four sections, each at an angle and with each section having a company or two of infantry separating/between them. Each section thus operated independently of the others.

Counter Rationale: As the battery commander is also in the square, he just might be able to coodinate two sections and have them fire on the same target.

But for simplicities' sake I go with a strict interpretation of the rule and its wording. One can make this a house rule, however, and dice off (odd or even) if the combining of two-thirds of the battery's potential is legal for that particular instance. And then dice off again for each time the opportunity again presents itself.

Paul,

Yer doin fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I made myself clear.

The rules say that if only one fire attack is being made,then you divide by two instead of three. I was just extrapolating that to the artillery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good then, I anticipated myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about rifles firing to non-adjacent hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If composed of exclusively rifles, yes. Same as artillery. Otherwise I'd have to say "no" regardless of rules interpretation. Squares can get pretty packed, so only the front few ranks fire. Rifles, if in a mixed square of rifles and muskets, would then be in the rear ranks because of their shorter barrels (though some did have bayonets, they were still shorter than muskets and you need that pike effect to ward off cavalry).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much Ed for taking time to post on Board Game Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.