Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for this card are pretty clear: at the end of the round, you can take a card from the board if there are any remaining. And the rules clearly define "round" as one of the five turns of the game.

The problem is that this card comes in the round 3/4 deck. If it comes out in the third round, it can be quite a decent card. However, if it comes out in the fourth round, it's nearly useless.

In round four, you have to a spend an action to take it (rather than another card you would like), and in return, you may get to replace it with another card at the end of the round (meaning you won't even be able to use that card in the current round). Then in round five, you may get an additional card, but again, you won't be able to use it during the feed/produce/build phases.

It seems to me that the main use for this card is to help players who have specific Sphinx cards (increase certain workers, most of x type of fields, 2 points for each yellow card, etc).

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's not very useful in the fourth round, and much better in the third. But the cards aren't all meant to be equal, otherwise it would never pay to jump ahead down the Nile. A lot of the cards seem weak to me (for example, the build with speculative ship card is actually useless in a 2p game!) so I just skip them and look for a better spot to place my ship--there always is one. Of more concern are cards like Draw 2 Sphinx cards, which are very powerful and can give the random start player a windfall if they show up near the source of the Nile.

Also, a native German speaker told me the 'round' terminology is one of the many errors in the rules translation. You may want to verify this if you can but she said the German rules clearly state that you take the card after everyone is finished placing ships, not at the very end of the round. So you could, for example, take a construction crew or stone card and use it that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:

==snip==
Also, a native German speaker told me the 'round' terminology is one of the many errors in the rules translation. You may want to verify this if you can but she said the German rules clearly state that you take the card after everyone is finished placing ships, not at the very end of the round. So you could, for example, take a construction crew or stone card and use it that round.

OK thanks for that bit. I've been told by someone that the online implementation allows the user to take a card at the end of the worker placement phase.

Does anyone have an answer: do you take at the end of worker placement, or end of the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 99% sure that you're meant to take it after the Nile phase (i.e. after all ship placement) but before feeding.

I'd say the value of this card fluctuates less based on the round (although clearly it's better in round 3 than in round 4) than based on the number of players in the game. In a 4-player game you sometimes won't get to take a card at all and if you get something it's usually marginal, while in a two-player game you can move aggressively down the Nile, either getting all the good cards or forcing your opponent to keep pace while leaving you a good card upstream.

If you get this card and the "place a ship upstream" card together in a two-player game it's pretty devastating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.