Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: I Hate You, Your Games, and Your Cat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My average rating is like a 5.42. That seems really low but when I think about it, I hate everything. Main reason for posting this is basically just to see if anyone who has recently updated their ratings has a lower (and honest) score.

I based my scores on the rating description you can find at the Rate it or Not page:

10 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.
9 - Excellent game. Always want to play it.
8 - Very good game. I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and will never turn down a game.
7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
6 - Ok game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.
5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.
4 - Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.
3 - Likely won't play this again although could be convinced. Bad.
2 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.
1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My average rating is 6.04, so I'm not going under yours. However, just as you do, I rate my games based on the rating description. For some reason, it slightly bothers me not me when people don't use these guidelines (It's not the end of the world No need to tell me I shouldn't mind these things ).
Anyway, the people who do ignore the guidelines usually give games they don't like a extremely low score. I expect that some of these people may be able to beat your low average...
For example, several people have graded Puerto Rico a "1". Now, you do not have to like Puerto Rico. But to call it "clearly broken"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Only 8 of the 42 games I have rated are below 6, the reason for that is because I tend not to play the ones I dislike more then once.

I also only rate games that I have played at least twice, so that if I find a game that sucks I tend not to want to play it a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rating is in the low 5's.

As for 1 ratings, I defy that 1 should be for games that are clearly "broken". Heck, there are some broken games that I think are wonderful to play...Talisman leaps to mind.

when I rank a game 1, I basically go through this thought process:

If I buy the game will I at least get 1 hour for every $1 I put into it (Y/N)
Do I feel good after I finish playing the game (Y/N)
Do I actively want to play the game again after playing (Y/N)
Do I feel like my time hasn't been wasted by the game (Y/N)
Do others share in the joy of the game with me (Y/N)
Does the game allow me to socialize with other people (Y/N)
Is the game pleasant to look at (Y/N)
Would I force my parents to play the game with me [knowing I might get disinherited over it] (Y/N)
Would I attempt to get my wife to play the game with me [knowing I might have to get familiar with the couch over it] (Y/N)
Can I get my friends/students/strangers to play it without too much difficulty (Y/N)

I could use it as a basis for a pure 1-10 system just counting the yes answers, but there are other esoteric things I take into consideration such as the artistic quality of the rules, the box, the components, the adherence to theme, the complexity of the mechanics, the subtleness of game play.

there's a lot of stuff in there. If I hate a game, it isn't necessarily because it is "clearly not a game" or "broken", but it gave me such a feeling that I would rather have my lungs ripped from my body through my throat then be exposed to the complexity/angst/aggression/ugliness of the game.

For the reason above, I suspect I would rate Diplomacy a 1. But I haven't played it, so I don't know. Moreover, after all the horror stories, I don't WANT to play it, so I may never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I forgot
PS

I hate his cat too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My average rating is a 7.00. But I carefully try to rate my games within the guidelines of BGG.

I think it's high because I generally like games. It's not too often I come across a game that I really don't like. And I tend to try out a lot of games, but I only try them if I think I will like them. So, the selection of games that I am able to rate is "biased" toward a higher rating.

But even so, I have 31 games that are rated 5 or lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my average rating is 6.94. which seems about right to me since more than half of my games I consider "good" and am usually willing to play. If anything I can probably prop up some games more if I followed this system too closely so its good that I don't.

I enjoy games and it takes a real bad game for me to consider it bad. I also buy games I expect to like. I do a lot of research here on the BGG. And I discovered BGG before I bought at least half of my collection so my purchases have been good. Hence the higher ratings.

Do you not like board games or something? Do you buy before without researching? I guess I wonder why an average would be so low! I mean, do you really buy that many games that you don't consider "good"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, taking the ratings literally, do folks really believe that there are only 300 games that are "good games" that they "usually want to play"? Remember, there are thousands on the site and I have a hard time believe that only 300 are good games and that most of the rest are just ok or bad.

300 = the 7.0 cutoff. (294 actually)

of course, to be fair there are 755 that round off to 7 (>6.5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5.86 I'm close
My rating average for 312 games is 5.86. I'm close, but a gew lousy games away from your average. I also have no tens or ones given out.
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I hate me!
My average's a high 7.82, but then I've only rated a few games and only ones I really like obviously...

I guess there's a couple of reasons for this:

-I don't believe that people should rate games of *types* they don't like. For example: I'm just not into abstracts (chess excepted), so if I played each abstract once, I could then give it a rating of 1-3, but it wouldn't be a fair rating. Just as I don't believe people who don't like hex-and-counter games should be rating ASL, I leave abstracts etc. alone: ratings, to me, should reflect what people who *might* like the game think once they've played it, not what the *average* geek thinks...

-I don't like to rate things quickly, esp. as I like fairly complex games, wargames, etc., so I find it takes several plays often to know for sure what you think. And, other than games with my kids and wife, I only get out to play once a month or so these days, meaning not much is getting played several times!

Go ahead and hate my cat too, he's obnoxious...

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My average seems to be at 6,97 at the moment. I went through all my ratings and updated them just couple weeks ago, so they reflect my current opinions accurately. I think there are two reasons for this, perhaps bit high average:

1. I don't hate everything. In fact, I tend to enjoy most of the games I play. So I feel I'm quite entitled to give them the ratings I have.

2. I am the prime buyer of games in our gaming group, both for my own collection and for our gaming club's. Thus I play mainly games I'm already interested in one way or another. If I played games I'm really not enthusiastic about more often, my average would probably be lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 5.57 but it is rising, and I expect it to keep doing so. Since I found the Geek, I've discovered a lot of great games, I didn't even know existed. I've purchased games like Tigris & Euphrates, Puerto Rico and Princes of Florence solely based on the rating of the Geek, and they are indeed great games. Since I've gotten the Geek as a resource, from which I can make my purchases, I've had much better luck purchasing games that I like, and avoid the ones I don't. Naturally this will have an impact on my average. Unless you suggest I should lower all my other ratings as I include more top rated games? I still do enjoy the old games too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: Why do you want people to go lower than you? The perfect average should be 5.5
(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 / 10)

So I'm closer to that than you are. And your bell curve is way off too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start from the top down on that list you'll not rate games you like but are truly broken as 1's. There's several on there I like despite their terrible rule sets. Also, I ended up moving some games I didn't like and rated 2's up to 4's because even though I hate them I could be easily convinced to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well and to add to what I've already said : I am primarially rating off how much I like to play them, would I suggest them, would I play is someone asked me to, and then a minor swing vote for theme or uniqueness.

What was said about only voting for the type of games you like - it's really difficult honestly. I'm not real big on hex wargames but I'd play them. I'd also play abstracts despite my distaste for them. But it seems unfair to myself to not rate them - after all, an abstract called Torres really caught my eye! And many of the lighter wargames are fine.

You'd be hard-pressed to get many boardgamers to categorize themselves unless they really are the type that only plays one type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I generally try to use the Guidelines here at the geek, when I rate a game. Sadly, most people don´t.
Something that bothers me is this: To be honest, I can´t think of a game that I would give a "10 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change". Really, maybe one game or two. "Expect this will never change"? Hey, gaming is change!
It is almost the same with 1s! I can´t think of a game, that I hate so much, that I´d rather bang my head against the wall. Up till now, I haven´t even given a 2.
To make my point: I feel many people to be too liberal with the extreme ratings. Of course, as always, ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Close
Mine's 5.59, and I don't hate everything (certainly not cats, because all cats are loveable, even the evil ones).

My rating is low, not particularly because I give lots of horrible ratings, but because I have a few games rated very low and lots of them rated 5-7. I have a few rated 8-10, just enough to push the average a little over the midway point.

I do not strictly follow the ratings guidelines--I use them as a guideline only. I give dreck like Diplomacy and Risk a 1 because, for me, it would be impossible to have a worse gaming experience than to be stuck playing one of these. I'd rather dodge tactical nukes, undergo recreational brain surgery or be nibbled to death by rabid, radioactive cats than play these (or Poker, Cosmic Encounter or Monopoly, my other 1-rated games).

The most important point I'm trying to get across is this: even if I were being nibbled to death by rabid, radioactive cats, I would not hate them. Not even if they tried to make me play Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I don't want people to go lower than me, I was just curious if anyone had.

And yeah, I did notice my bell curve is way off but not everything in the world falls inside the bell curve, that's why they invented standard deviation.

And to be honest about it, I once went through a geeklist called "Lower Your Average Rating" once...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lower must mean honest? I'm sorry, that doesn't compute.

I mostly stay away from games I probably wouldn't enjoy. And there is no point nor desire for most people to give dishonest ratings. Certainly not for me.

I also follow the rating descriptions (as only seems fair), very strictly. I rate a lot of games a 7---because I really would be willing to play them, but I won't necessarily suggest them first! I have some 6's, but when I find a game with a certain mechanic or feeling I dislike, I stay away from other such games. So I end up more towards a 7.

I also often refuse to rate a game until after I've played it several times. Thus if I run into a game I just don't like, I give it the benefit of the doubt and just don't rate it. (There have been a few exceptions to this rule, but they are extreme exceptions. Such as the "Worst Case Scenario Game".) I try to leave behind comments that are informative in all cases.

Someone whose ratings are lower could as easily be dishonest as someone whose ratings are higher. You can feel pushed to either rate higher or rate lower, especially if you listen to posts like this, which crop up every so often.

I feel that distinguishing "honesty" based on average rating is a pointless exercise. People are generally honest about their ratings; those that aren't are left out of the statistical curve.

I don't think that people whose ratings are lower or higher are dishonest; I just think that's their honest average rating, and leave it at that. Life is too short and there's too much gaming to do to worry about these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no no... lower doesn't mean honest - mostly I just meant "if you're one of those people that posts 10's and 1's just to spite someone"... you might remember last month where someone pointed out a couple people who were putting 1's and 10's against each other's entries and calling each other names. That sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Oh no no... lower doesn't mean honest - mostly I just meant "if you're one of those people that posts 10's and 1's just to spite someone"... you might remember last month where someone pointed out a couple people who were putting 1's and 10's against each other's entries and calling each other names. That sort of thing.

Cool. cool

I don't really remember. Those few people were just silly, so I ignored them, and forgot about them. If they aren't a problem, then they aren't. If they are, Aldie will nuke them.

Life is simple sometimes for me like that. I embrace such opportunities, because life tends to be complicated everywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have a lower average than you do, as mine currently clocks in at 4.93 and has been trending downward, not upward as the competition for what makes a "good game that I would request" keeps becoming more stiff as I experience more and more of the top notch titles.

As for why or the question of whether that's a good thing, well, obviously very subjective. I do not rate based entirely on the BGG score, but my ratings roughly cover that spectrum wtih some minor augmentations making 10's attainable (a 9 which I play 48 times or spend 48 hours playing).

I think the rating average just will tend to show one's basic temperment in life. If you're happy playing pretty much anything then your average will of course end up being very high while picky people like myself will end up with much lower averages.

I actually used to have a fairly high rating curve, but the more games that I play the more particular I become. What used to be an 8 could now end up a 6 based on having had more experience.

The ratings guidelines don't specifically call for putting games against each other, but I find myself mentally doing it anyway as if I feel auction game x is slightly better than auction game y then I want to play x more and will be less likely to suggest y, hence a difference on my rating.

I do think that other people are either much more willing to play anything, or not harsh enough in handing out low ratings though. I read some ratings of 5 or 6 at worse that clearly sound like they would earn 3's in my ratings scale, but I can generally filter that out by picking people of temperment similar to my own (Fawkes for example has a lower average than I do...I think?) and accounting for that when I'm considering a particular purchase. Some people will absolutely not hand out anything below a 4, and that just shows their enthusiasm and willingness to sit down at the table with anything. Hey, more power to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
5.18 here. My average just took a dive because I reciently gave Grandissimo a 1.

The difference I notice when comparing my ratings with others is that others tend not to use the "lower average" ratings... their ratings between 5 and 10 are fairly robust but their ratings between 1 and 5 are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do respect an even distribution in ratings but I don't like to see balance come from padding the lower end with meatballs.

I mean, what good does it do to for adults to beat up on games like Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Hungry Hungry Hippos? I really don't think anyone is going to go the Candyland page and really work through the comments to decide if they're going to buy it or not.

On the other hand, opinionated and descriptive negative comments of games I might actually consider buying are extremely helpful. 1db 1db

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
What was said about only voting for the type of games you like - it's really difficult honestly. I'm not real big on hex wargames but I'd play them. I'd also play abstracts despite my distaste for them. But it seems unfair to myself to not rate them - after all, an abstract called Torres really caught my eye! And many of the lighter wargames are fine.

You'd be hard-pressed to get many boardgamers to categorize themselves unless they really are the type that only plays one type of game.

I think you're responding to me, but that's not quite what I meant; I didn't mean classify yourself as one type and only rate those, but rather avoid rating types of games you just don't like. For example: if you might like light wargames, but would just hate anything more complex, then it's not really a useful rating to put 1s down for every complex wargame you see....or to play them one for half an hour and then rate 1...So: avoid the categories you just don't like (unless you find that exceptional game as you point out), don't stick to the type you particularly like....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.